pcx parked up for now

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: pcx parked up for now

Post by you you »

bromleyxjr wrote:The main problem with the main dealer service costs is i work in the service industry on water pumping systems , and i know what is down to be done and what gets a tick on the service sheet but is not touched due to not anytime left , or it just don't need doing , i always serviced my own bikes 16v shim jobs etc , but when i got the pcx new i forgot i would have to get a stamp on the service book , 1 to keep warranty , 2 to get a better resale price .
but working out the costs of servicing for the 2 years i am not sure i would get a new bike again.. :cry:

Yes it's a balance isn't it. An up to date service book doesn't always lead to a better resale value, and it's only a £2k bike once you ride it off the dealers forecourt.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Assuming 5000 miles annual mileage, by the time you add the two years servicing to the purchase price its still significantly cheaper than buying a Vespa.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Assuming 5000 miles annual mileage, by the time you add the two years servicing to the purchase price its still significantly cheaper than buying a Vespa.

Even more so if you service it yourself
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

pcx parked up for now

Post by Alibally »

qed wrote:
Alibally wrote:
qed wrote:
There's always an apologist that will step forward. £110 to service a piece of bent metal and some plastic is only acceptable of you can touch your toes

Try and pay for a 4 year service on a Mercedes CL600 and £110 for a service seems very good value. It costs about £550 just to do the spark plugs never mind anything else.

I wouldn't as the service life of a spark plug isn't related to calendar years.
4 years or 50.000 miles ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I hope it had done 50k then as plugs have an indefinite shelf life
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

They may have an indefinite shelf life but they absolutely do not have an indefinite cylinder head life.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:They may have an indefinite shelf life but they absolutely do not have an indefinite cylinder head life.

Yes, that would depend on the mileage and type of use
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I've just been quoted £130 for the first service and £250 for the 2.5k

If I did 10k per year (which I wouln't admittedly) it would cost me £2,130 over the warranty period. That's 90% of the purchase price

It's all personal choice.

Just done the 600 mile service at 531 miles

Checked things over and changed the oil

Total cost £0

A litre of 5-30. (plenty kicking around from my cars)
And old newspaper
A clean rag
A dab of swarfega

Factor in the satisfaction of doing a good job yourself and I'm more than £130 up
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I'd use caution with the Syms, they're nowhere near as high-quality as Hondas. My father-in-law's Sym Fiddle II was a pile of trash, he was absolutely ecstatic when he traded it in for his Vespa.

I think I actually remember him leaving his keys in it for awhile, hoping it would get stolen... It was that buzzy and cheap. Pieces would rattle off, it was constantly in for service, the variator GRINDING and churning was considered "normal noise" by the dealer, etc...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
bromleyxjr

Post by bromleyxjr »

sym was set up by honda ,and look at the 2012 models look very well built , and i think it depends on model of scooter as with the honda i thought the vision 110 was a horrible when i had one for a day , the pcx was like a sports bike next to it .
but the vision is cheaper so you pays your money etc
my sym so far is going well and i done 250miles in one day with no problems
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

£70 is the hourly labour rate at my dealer
Woolley wrote:£130 is very steep, i paid about £70.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

yeah,I will be doing the next service myself
qed wrote:I've just been quoted £130 for the first service and £250 for the 2.5k

If I did 10k per year (which I wouln't admittedly) it would cost me £2,130 over the warranty period. That's 90% of the purchase price

It's all personal choice.

Just done the 600 mile service at 531 miles

Checked things over and changed the oil

Total cost £0

A litre of 5-30. (plenty kicking around from my cars)
And old newspaper
A clean rag
A dab of swarfega

Factor in the satisfaction of doing a good job yourself and I'm more than £130 up