Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mitch Detailed wrote:I've been talking to reggy at yuminashi. I've still gotta get info, but I'm hoping to pull funding to purchase a big bore kit and race head from him. All in all its quite expensive, but power is bar none.
I agree, Yuminashi is 166cc with CR of 12.8:1 that and coupled with bigger valves and ports,should be pumping almost 16hp+@ wheel.
Takegawa is relatively mild tune as it comes with only just under 13hp@wheel but Takegawa has kind of always been like that,they like to play it more on the safe side of tuning with scooters and try not to go overboard...
I tried to get Yuminashi for ages but the retailer here in Aus 'Braaap..' never were to interested to sell that kit,on several occasions i made contact to enquire about details and availability of the product id get return email that they will find out but never actually get back to me. So i gave up..Shame!

So far Takegawa is settling in quite nice, the more i ride it more i get its actual performance feel, takeoff is really good, no lag,full throttle and the front is kind of lifting up so thats a really good gain. Mid range is also up,im cruising 1/4 throttle with 1/3 throttle more than enough to accelerate fast. Feels like its getting most of its power from half throttle and the other half is still bit of power in there but not a huge deal its almost like the stock throttle body is to small and just cant feed enough air in on full throttle,so bigger throttle upgrade would be great,top power feels like it runs out of gearing to fast as the power drops of sharply close to 9k rpm 120kmh speedo...The Fi module has plenty adjustment for enriching the mixture in case one wants to go that way or add a pod filter...
Also i feel like the economy may have suffered little as ive just fuelled it other day and im on half tank so far and i may not get 200k as ive used to,but thats kind of expected,it is 170cc now and also still running in it in.Should get slightly better when loosens up a bit.Ill let you know what i get out of my first tank.
So impressions so far are good,i like it,feels good everywhere and its performance in this mild/conservative tune is in range of really good Scarabeo 200 4v head or 250cc piaggios..
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Sorry about crappy vid quality,ive only noticed afterwards when i came home,my iphone does that sometime and forgets to auto-focus.
This was just a quick vid to show how 170cc kit accelerates from 0-100km/h (speedo),so you can see how much of an improvement it is over my previous set up of
as 125cc with cam,vario and exhaust ( 13-14 sec) where now it does 10.5sec....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... b93E17mwBM
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Now you will need to get a wide band fuel mixture logger so you can fine tune your fuel controller after increasing the displacement.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:Now you will need to get a wide band fuel mixture logger so you can fine tune your fuel controller after increasing the displacement.
Fuel controller has been dyno tuned for the kit installed so that would be ok but if i want to install bigger throttle body or pod filter than id like to see where im at with fuel mixture, any ideas for a cheaper version? Kitaco has one but its like some $200...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, that speedometer moved fast!

I'm looking forward to hearing your mpg statistics. This thread is exciting. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

maddiedog wrote:Wow, that speedometer moved fast!

I'm looking forward to hearing your mpg statistics. This thread is exciting. :D
So far it's really good and unexpected...will it be possible that fuel economy will remain the same with normal riding?

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Just had it refueled and this is what it had used, just to mention I didn't use stop/start feature during this run and I'm using Kitaco small screen cos its summer and really hot here..
It did 185.4km to 5.88l of fuel -3.17l/100km. Both times topped to the brim.

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Just a quick update at how she's keeping up,its done some 300k since 170 went in. It feels great,purrs as it idles although with bit more bass sound out of the engine and a slight lumpier heart beat. It has a awesome torque and that slight lag or hesitation or belt slip shake/vibration like some have been asking about on this site has been completely eliminated with this kit.Would have to be that it has more power and torque on take off and perhaps thats what the issue may be with stock 125cc,, 2.6hp struggling on initial take off till it spins up in to a more happy rev range. Takegawa pumps 6hp on initial clutch engagement take off and it makes a world of difference... I really like it...
Next will be Kitaco gear up kit, (i know its only 5% up ) but it feels like it gets to 9k something rpm at 128kmh way too quick so slight extension of gearing is a must.
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

Pcxdemon wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:Now you will need to get a wide band fuel mixture logger so you can fine tune your fuel controller after increasing the displacement.
Fuel controller has been dyno tuned for the kit installed so that would be ok but if i want to install bigger throttle body or pod filter than id like to see where im at with fuel mixture, any ideas for a cheaper version? Kitaco has one but its like some $200...
You could look into apexi safc's, the neo is one I'm looking into, I'm also looking into aem's ems4 powersports module for the busa and gsxr1000.

The aem unit is wayy overkill unless I plan to try and build a scooter that hauls some serious ass, but simply stated, I would never have to worry about if my ems system could handle what I was interested in doing. E85, racegas, nos, etc..

The apexi units are almost the same price with more options, and the aem unit is way outside your window.
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

Before you purchase this kitaco gear up kit, will you pm me? I might be able to get you a better deal on possibly even higher gearing...
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

double posted for the lose.
Last edited by Mitch Detailed on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

yes, even triple posted. uber fail on my smartphone...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mitch Detailed wrote:Before you purchase this kitaco gear up kit, will you pm me? I might be able to get you a better deal on possibly even higher gearing...
Cheers Mitch, I really wouldn't want to go above 10% in increase,i feel that would be more than enough. Let me know what you get and ill see, also i could be interested in bigger throttle body and its manifold it comes with.. Who knows i may even pick up a esp pcx down the road ( in time ) and do a full yuminashi project on it....:)

Love the Pcx but more with 170..:)
Okaeri-Japan

Post by Okaeri-Japan »

Hi
very interesting, I think it should be wise to put a Kitaco long ratio sprocket + super torque cam + Yuminashi inertia power booster set to reduce rev at top speed
it's already very efficient with 125cc models therefore you should get good results with 170cc bore up kit
about Yuminashi, well, I'm the official importer for France and all I can say is that reggy has been in the tuning stuff for years, don't worry about the quality of the parts he sells
bore up kits are more "racing" than takegawa ones though, basically it depends of the results you expect from your scooter
I think takegawa would fit a daily rider but wouldn't be enough for people who expect radical changes
best choice would be 184cc stroke up + race cylinder head + 31 throttle body
cheers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Okaeri-Japan wrote:Hi
very interesting, I think it should be wise to put a Kitaco long ratio sprocket + super torque cam + Yuminashi inertia power booster set to reduce rev at top speed
it's already very efficient with 125cc models therefore you should get good results with 170cc bore up kit
about Yuminashi, well, I'm the official importer for France and all I can say is that reggy has been in the tuning stuff for years, don't worry about the quality of the parts he sells
bore up kits are more "racing" than takegawa ones though, basically it depends of the results you expect from your scooter
I think takegawa would fit a daily rider but wouldn't be enough for people who expect radical changes
best choice would be 184cc stroke up + race cylinder head + 31 throttle body
cheers
Hello Okaeri, I agree about Kitaco gear up, i already have torque cam by KN Planning which is excellent quality and it has two different slide profiles. I am bit sceptical about Yuminashi inertia power booster as i believe it may rob me of my hill speed and power,while it may add slightly favourable flat speed stability so at the moment i feel like i have a good balance of both... I do feel that my 24mm throttle body is a bit of a choke and upgrading it to bigger size will release bit extra power. This last Sunday i took it for a 100 mile ride with some of the regular crew and i can happily say Vespa 300 Super (stock) was not faster on the flats up to 75mph nor there was a big diff up on the hills. This 170kit def keeps surpassing my expectations...
Okaeri-Japan

Post by Okaeri-Japan »

Hi
very cool, thank you very much for feed back
Inertia Power Booster wheel is designed for 125cc engines so I don't think it will affect performances on a bore up engine like yours
you should put a bigger throttle body like this one, 31 diameter, 28 genuine one is a little small for 177cc
cheers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The inertia power booster is a fancy name for adding a bit of rotational mass. It doesn't affect power in the
slightest only adds a little flywheel affect
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

qed wrote:The inertia power booster is a fancy name for adding a bit of rotational mass. It doesn't affect power in the
slightest only adds a little flywheel affect
Heavy rotational mass ie heavier flywheel, would affect acceleration slightly while lighter one would improve it ,although heavier would add to feeling of increase in torque on flat out speeds and would be more affective against wind resistance (slightly id say) , but suffers in acceleration times and maintaining uphill speed,where as lighter flywheel would suffer badly over 60mph speeds and wind resistance but would feel quite punchy below 60mph speeds.
I tried it already with a specially made heavier variator nut washers. Ive made couple to replace the stock one adding some 50g+ to the weight of the crank and found that stock is the best in that regard....I feel it has the perfect balance,but if youre willing to send me one for trial id gladly accept it,try it and post a result on here..:)
You can see here the smallest washer is stock size:

This is what it looks like with a stock washer on:

And this is with a larger heavier washer for increase of crank rotational mass:
Okaeri-Japan

Post by Okaeri-Japan »

Hi
thank for pictures
I think Reggy from Yuminashi tested many weights before releasing his product therefore I don't really worry about the results
I sent one to Park Garage in Bournemouth UK, he will test it with long ratio sprocket and torque cam on a 125 V1 model
No problem for sending this part to Australia when I'm in Japan but won't be there before April, very busy in Europe at the moment
cheers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Just a quick update on fuel consumption with 170 kit, first oil changed done on 500km and this is the latest figure since ive just emptied the tank:

So the fuel consumption has dropped down to 2.89l/100km,bloody fantastic figures and almost as good as a stock 125cc but with 200cc+ performance....:))