How long you been riding?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

paulchiangmai

Re: How long you been riding?

Post by paulchiangmai »

We can't be both wrong Taz. Times change, technology changes, materials improve, as long as it's not Chinese, quality control improves. I know just a little bit about these things as I was a mechanic for what seems like a hundred years, workshop manager etc etc all to do with vehicles from motor cycles to heavy earth moving equipment. A little story about my first car, a second hand 1947 Hillman minx, loved that car and the many Hillmans I had after that. With the '47 Minx came the owners manual, in that manual it stated to grind [grind not adjust] the valves every 12,000 miles and to re-ring the engine every 30,000 miles. Nowadays if you had to do that at 150,000 miles you probably bought a lemon. As I said, times change.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

Taz wrote:I agree, I tell my mechanic to do a normal service and change oil each time but not to do a valve check. Service fee went down from $200 to $80.
I see your point, but what about warranty work if the engine were to let go and the recommended service wasn't performed? Would one be left holding the bag? Seems 120 bucks is cheap insurance toward replacing the motor out of pocket.

Just sayin'...
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

i still get a dealer stamp in the warranty book. Ive got 6 mths warranty left from 2 years.
paulchiangmai

Post by paulchiangmai »

We also get the dealer stamp, we get three years warranty here.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Some of ya might have seen this before. To those that have, I say to you..."So what! It's so worth the ride again!" To those that haven't...."It's so worth the ride" :D
You're never too old ;) Cheers!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

I was first infected with two wheel passion nearly 52 years ago with one of these....

That little Allstate made me feel like Alladin and his flying carpet. Many years later, after having to behave like a responsible adult, the bug festered and I decided it was time to ride again. I have been adventuring the last twelve years on an assortment of bikes. Singles, twins, triples, fours, sport-standard-cruiser-dual sports from 250cc to full liter bikes have graced my garage. My wife said I go through bikes like a rooster goes through a hen house. :lol: My excuse to her is I have "multiple bike disorder".
The first "twist and go" bike I tried was a Majesty 400. The fact that I have had it nearly four years says a lot considering how often I trade them.
None of the bikes were bought new. Guess my luck has been good as I have never been left on the side of the road. The closest was when an old airhead blew a rear main seal. The old girl did get me home, though covered with puked oil.
I just sold what may be my last motorcycle Tuesday. Slowing down the pace with the ease and comfort of "scooting" is now where I am in my riding.
The Majesty and my "new to me" PCX should keep me grinning for some time to come.
Cheers!
Driller
Oh,I'm not quite as old as the Dream Rangers" but I'm working on it. ;)
paulchiangmai

Post by paulchiangmai »

I see it is called an Allstate but is it what the rest of the world new as a Vespa or even perhaps a Lambretta?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That one looks like a rebadged Vespa.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

paulchiangmai wrote:I see it is called an Allstate but is it what the rest of the world new as a Vespa or even perhaps a Lambretta?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allstate_(vehicle_brand)
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

Yes, that is a Vespa built for Sears. They carried a line of scooters, small motorcycles and mopeds under the Allstate label.
The Vespa was called the "Cruisaire". Two stroke, 125cc. three speed. You mixed the oil and you flipped the gas cock over to reserve when gas was low (just like a '60 VW I had..no fuel gauge!). It would hit an optimistic 40mph. I think it was somewhat restricted at the factory as it carried a "not over 5bhp" decal which fit the 14-16 yr old license restriction of the time. When tuned, we know what the old Vespas can do....

Other bikes by Puch and Jawa were sold under the Sears Allstate badge.
I even put a Vespa made side car on my Cruisaire for a while. Now that was an experience! :lol: .
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bumping this thread, it's a great one to introduce yourself :P
Come on, join in, say Hi brother/sister PCX-er!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
BOIT

Post by BOIT »

Hi all. Bought my first bike (dual purpose) when I was 20 and going to school in New Jersey. I was able to hide it from my parents for 6 months till they found out. For the next 20 years, I owned many bikes. One of my favorite trips was from Florida to Hawaii. I know what you're thinking. How'd he do that? I had the bike crated in Long Beach, CA and I took the jet while my bike took the ship. Stayed a year on Oahu and Maui before I sold the bike and flew back to Florida. Bought another as soon as I got home. Sold my last bike 20 years ago. I bought a new PCX 150 2 days ago. So far, I'm lovin' it.

Burt
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

^ 20 minutes and my arse is sore
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

When I was a teenager my older brother let me ride his bikes that he felt he was outgrowing. That started with a Yamaha 60cc dual-purpose that I rode a whole bunch on dirt trails as the suburbs were being developed where we grew up. Not too many highway miles - just to and from the trails. Then I borrowed my brother's Honda 500cc road bike for a summer around 1970, I think. I had a huge gap in motorcycles until 2005 when we got a Chinese 50cc scooter, a TNG to use for local errands. The 50cc was so slow that I considered it unsafe on the road with cars, so we just a few weeks ago upgraded to the PCX 150. My daughter is going to be riding it some of the time in just over a week frrom now when she gets her motorcycle endorsement (assuming she passes the test).

That older brother of mine spent many years riding old Harley Davidson bikes, always hard-tail oldies, that he fixed and made look radical. I never wanted to borrow his Harleys because he was heavily into drugs then and I wanted to separate myself from his lifestyle. He died at the age of 47 in 1997 as a result of 30 years of drug abuse and anabolic steroids. I really miss him. I wish I could go out riding with him now. He'd be on his big ass Harley and I'd be on my PCX. I think of him when I'm out riding.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:20 minutes and my arse is sore
Ask your boyfriend to use more lube.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I'll be 68 at the end of this month and just bought my PCX. Other than bicycles, this is the first motor driven two wheel vehicle I've ever had. I only have less than 100 miles on it now and I'm taking the motorcycle safety course this weekend. So far I've had it registered and insured and I have my motorcycle learners permit. The course will get me certified for the permanent motorcycle endorsement. I gotta say, those first 100 miles have been FUN!!!!! The dealer wasn't very generous with gas when I bought it (cheap bastards) and I had to fill it at around 40 miles. The gas gauge has hardly moved since then. Once I get a little more riding under my belt I'll have to plan a long day trip. I'll probably wait till later in the year since summer temps here go to the triple digits all summer.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Nothing like experience
siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by siplumb »

A newbie to the world of 2 wheels, I'm 37, bought my PCX125 after my work moved and it meant my train journey had a tram added on too. Too many 2 hr+ journeys when I live 15 miles away and I took the plunge. Did the CBT last January, have commuted in everyday since rain (mostly) or shine.. Since then work have started charging for car parking but not scooters / motorbikes, its fab to see so many people taking the plunge onto 2 wheels. It does make it harder to find a space with all those bloody vespas! There's one other fella with a PCX but he thinks its a transformer.. Picture to follow when I can find it.....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Nothing like experience
I'll have to take your word for it, not having any myself.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

At what age did you buy your first bike? 17; Honda C110 Sport Cub

How many years have you actively ridden? Still at it.

How old are you now? Hmm. 66.