Re: State of the forum - July 2013! - JULY 2019 UPDATE!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: State of the forum - July 2013!

Post by maddiedog »

cessna151 wrote:I have the same issue as Taz. All topics are bold as if unread even though they have been read. I'm running Firefox on Windows 7.
Under the board index, please try clicking the "Mark Forums Read" link on the right. That will mark everything as read again, and possibly reset any funkiness that might have occurred with read/unread status. If the issue persists, reply again and we'll go from there.
cessna151 wrote:Suggestion: PLEASE remove the time restriction for editing posts. If you feel too strongly about this then you could increase it to, say, a week, or a few days atleast.
This will remain, it makes people accountable for their posts and encourages high-quality posting. What's said is set in stone, making users less likely to go on emotional diatribes they can take back later.

If you ever feel a post past the expiration date requires a change or if you notice a typo too late, feel free to PM me to have me fix it for you. I fix typos at least once a week for people. :)
dasshreddar wrote:On another note will the new Forza be part of this forum when it comes out?
If you count the "Other Bikes" subforum as that, then yes. ;)

This forum will only be for the PCX. People are encouraged to talk about other bikes in the forums, specifically in Other Bikes and in Off-Topic, but I don't see us adding any audiences by extending to include more models. We specialize in the PCX here, and we do it well!
WhiteNoise wrote:Okay, I'll admit.......I still like the upper photo banner idea. I know there are other good looking photo's on the forums that can perhaps be alternated from time to time (i.e. every month or so?)
I like this idea a LOT, but it will use a ton more bandwidth, and the previous poll about this was unsuccessful. :( If this had enough interest expressed here, I could make another poll. ;)
Alibally wrote:I saw another forum,(a car one not another pcx one, perish the thought) that had a like button for individual posts.
I think this would be interesting, but we'd never do a full reputation system or anything like that. I'll see if something like this would be difficult to implement, and will implement it if it's fairly trivial and wouldn't interfere with anything else. I think, if anything, just a thumbs-up button could help improve post quality (not that it's lacking but it will keep things as good as they are now).
GeorgeSK wrote:While I am quite new here, I do have one suggestion. Would it be possible to duplicate the "view new posts" button at the bottom of the page? Clicking on the icon for getting to the last post is a great help, but then you have to scroll up before you can get back to seeing what is new.
Does GN2's "Home" trick fix this sufficiently? It won't be too hard to add the button you requested, but I won't bother spending the time adding it if you no longer need it. :)

Thanks for the good feedback everyone! I'm glad we have a high satisfaction rate here. A lot of it is from you guys, I rarely have to moderate since you all behave so well. 8)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

GREAT job here.....and personally I like the "careful how You post it" format...having spent several years moderating other Scooter, Motorcycle, and Trike websites, this cuts down on "flame now, edit/delete later" issues...... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
GeorgeSK wrote:but then you have to scroll up before you can get back to seeing what is new.
Just press the Home button on your keyboard ;)
Keyboard? Where have you been Grandad?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Maddiedog, GN2's solution works just fine for me. You would think that someone that has been messing with PC's since the dark days of DOS on an 8088 would know about that trick, but... nooo.... Is it worth changing? If it were wicked easy, then yes, for the sake of others who do not find or know of GN2's elegant solution. But if it would take more than a few minutes, well, we can just suck it up.

My wife has a tablet, YouYou, and it makes me nuts. I guess I'm just "tablet impaired" I poke and swipe, and it does all sorts of weird (and time consuming) stuff. Maybe my aim is not so good. Maybe I just don't "get" android. The old keyboard/mouse combo with a 24" screen does what I need it to do.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Recently I bought a tablet and am slowly getting used to it.
Have resisted the temptation to get a keyboard for it thus far...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good on you! Hang in there! Got one last year and Still so much to learn.
Say you, you....whatcha posting on? Got an iPad? How's that working for ya?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

gn2 wrote:Recently I bought a tablet and am slowly getting used to it.
Have resisted the temptation to get a keyboard for it thus far...
My android came with a keyboard but I dont use it. Im quite happy with the electronic keyboard.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Good on you! Hang in there! Got one last year and Still so much to learn.

Depends where I am I suppose. Android tablet, blackberry playbook or iPhone

Playbook is probably the best tbh
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: @ centerfold! Why did I Not see that coming! :lol:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay Dave, it's a bandwidth thingy (I don't know much about, but) We are nearing the anniversary of last years 1st poll/survey. We have many new members, perhaps they would like a banner photo as much as we would? Dunno. I don't even know if those reading here understand what I'm chattering on about. Should a new thread be started explaining the photo banner idea...or maybe just post the link to the old thread here? Up to you boss (o;
We were pretty close in the running last poll and would do much better with poll results, IF more members here would submit a vote. It seems the appropriate time to "Make that Change" .....If one is to be made (o: my two cents
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:We have many new members, perhaps they would like a banner photo as much as we would? Dunno. I don't even know if those reading here understand what I'm chattering on about.
I would appreciate a little more info on this ... even if it is just to link me to the other thread.

By the way, I am enjoying this forum very much. Thanks for your great work Maddiedog!!

I purchased my PCX because it was about the only bike big enough for my 6'1" frame that still allowed me to maneuver between stopped cars in Bangkok traffic. That is a typical Thai thing. By the time the light turns green there can be 30-40 bikes lined up in front of the cars and it is everyone for themselves. I still can't believe that I had never ridden a bike before this. :o

In the end, I don't ride the bike as often as I thought I might (500 kms in 7 months {300 miles}) because we live very close to the Skytrain and subway lines, but it has become a hobby for me. Living in Thailand means I get very affordable accessories, so I have added lots of extras (sorry about that GN2 :roll: ). This forum has added to the pleasure of the hobby. I really appreciate the tone of the vast majority of the posts. Thanks everyone!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

kramnala58 wrote:I have added lots of extras (sorry about that GN2 :roll: )
No need to apologise, its your scoot and if you want to waste your cash on useless tat to make it look like a tasteless blinged up tart-mobile, that's perfectly ok with me :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

;) Here ya go kramnala58, and anyone else interested (I hope many)... This is the old thread on the forum that I referred to above (sorry about not posting it earlier)....
Re: The banner photo idea/discussion with poll taken last Oct 2012. http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... nner+photo
Please feel free to share your position or thoughts. Considering the idea of a photo banner? Like the idea? Dislike the idea? On the fence? Jump in and tell us, please :P
Let's see now.....who will be first to respond :roll: Hmmm......
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

maddiedog wrote:
cessna151 wrote:I have the same issue as Taz. All topics are bold as if unread even though they have been read. I'm running Firefox on Windows 7.
Under the board index, please try clicking the "Mark Forums Read" link on the right. That will mark everything as read again, and possibly reset any funkiness that might have occurred with read/unread status. If the issue persists, reply again and we'll go from there.
I did that and now there is a little icon marking topics that are unread as shown in the screenshot below, but all topics are still bold. Just to be clear, we are still supposed to see unread topics in bold font and read topics in regular font right?
1.jpg
1.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Yes, the post you are pointing to is showing as "unread." If you click that icon, it should take you to the first unread post in the thread.

All threads are bold, not regular. If the thread has an orange page by it, it is unread. If it has no page and a white page on the left, it is read.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

What happens if you do Mark Topics Read under the General subforum? top-right link here: http://hondapcx.org/viewforum.php?f=2

The mark forums read and mark topics read are working for me, which is why I'm a bit confused on this. ;)
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Ok let me try to resolve the confusion. I'm not sure now if taz's problem was the same as mine, but, my issue was... before the update i never paid any attention to those icons on the left and i also never used the "mark forum read" or "mark topic read" links. If i clicked on a topic it was automatically marked "read" until somebody posted something new. "Unread" topics were bold and "read" topics were not. Simple.

After the update all topics are now bold regardless of being read or not and i had no idea what those icons were about. Then i started reading this topic and thought taz seemed to have a similar issue. Then after my initial post indicating my issue, you suggested i use the "mark forum read" link. So i did (for the first time ever), and then i waited a few minutes for new posts so i could see if anything was different. After a few minutes i hit refresh and noticed the icons next to topics that were "unread" and then took that screenshot. Now you have confirmed all topics are bold regardless of their status which means i never actually had any technical issue.

Does that clear up everything?
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

I do have another suggestion... I would like a link at the top that will go straight to "My subscribed topics." Similar to "view your posts" except you only see the topics you subscribed to. That way i can always quickly check only the topics i'm currently interested in.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

you you wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Good on you! Hang in there! Got one last year and Still so much to learn.

Depends where I am I suppose. Android tablet, blackberry playbook or iPhone

Playbook is probably the best tbh
Ah someone else that knows what a play book is. I tried this tablet when they dropped the price to 199 but after a couple of months there wasn't still enough apps and the current apps always crashed so I sold it and now I am trying to trade my laptop for an older gen iPad
ImageImage
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

I'm Happy...... :D
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!