Front Brake Failure - Temporary

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Front Brake Failure - Temporary

Post by maddiedog »

qed wrote:As you stop or at 9mph?
During deceleration, you can feel the centrifugal clutch disengage at low speed. I feel like mine disengages at lower than 9mph, but I've never looked to check that.
gn2 wrote:If you release the brakes and don't open the throttle you will freewheel because the clutch has not been re-engaged by the centrifugal force from the increased engine rpm.
So with a bit of rider input it is possible to choose whether to have the drive engaged or disengaged on a long descent.
Given enough of a hill it should be possible to get a PCX to go faster with the engine switched off than with it driving the rear wheel...
DO NOT DO THIS.

If you coast downhill with no throttle, get to speed, then try to apply throttle, the centrifugal clutch will attempt to engage the final drive while it is at speed. The huge difference in speed between the slow-spinning centrifugal clutch (since the engine is at low revs) and the fast-spinning final drive (since the bike is at speed) will result in an enormous amount of torque on your engine and drive components momentarily, will lock up your rear wheel for a moment, then act normal (but with the engine engaged).

I speak from experience. To save gas, I tried coasting down a hill once with no throttle. At the bottom, I added throttle to make it up the next hill, the rear end locked up, the scooter bucked HARD and almost threw me. If I had been riding two-up, I would have probably gone over the handlebars at 30mph. ALWAYS drive your scooter with the engine engaged -- NEVER start out coasting, always apply throttle until you are moving. After you're moving, you can coast all you want, because the engine and drivetrain are connected as they should be. :?
HawaiiJ wrote:Ok, my problem is resolved.
Better safe than sorry (or without brakes! :lol: ). I'm completely jealous of how cheap that repair was. You couldn't even get a new brake disc for that cheap here.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Front Brake Failure - Temporary

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:
gn2 wrote: Given enough of a hill it should be possible to get a PCX to go faster with the engine switched off than with it driving the rear wheel...
DO NOT DO THIS.
True, you shouldn't do it with the engine switched on or you could have a(nother) brown trouser experience. :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong