Unspoken Law of "The Nod"

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Unspoken Law of "The Nod"

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Both Great tips and advice from gn2 on use of clutch ;)

Reasonable people can differ. I usually don't put the bike into neutral at stops unless both hands are needed for some quick task. Keeping it in first gear allows you to quickly move the bike in case a distracted driver doesn't see you stopped (eye on mirrors until vehicle behind you fully stops) or you need to get out of the way of some other mayhem. More distracted drivers = more need to do this nowadays.

Regarding getting into neutral, you'll quickly figure out how your bike likes to be shifted. As already mentioned, shifting into neutral as you're rolling works, as does experimenting shifting either up from first or down from second. You can also slightly let out the clutch, rolling forward a smidgen, and then re-engage the clutch. Sometimes that's enough to move transmission "stuff" into better alignment.

If you don't pop it into neutral how are you going to wave at people that you deep down wont impress no matter what you do.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Just let go of the clutch, kill the engine, and screw it with impressing them, I JUST WANT TO SAY HAI !!!
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Valiant wrote:The contrasting experience is pretty interesting to me.

Back on the PCX, it's rare for anyone to make any kind of acknowledgement to me. Might be a once a week occurrence. But just today I started riding on my CB300F and pretty much anyone who rode in the opposite lane made some kind of a waving gesture to me, which I might awkwardly try to return as I'm still a little twitchy about letting go of my clutch in fear of killing my engine.
You got a CB300F! How do you like it?

I stay in first gear all the time. I was told by my instructor that when you're stopped, right foot stays on the brake, left foot stays on the ground, left hand stays on the clutch. If there's a car barreling down behind you, the last thing you want is to fumble your hands and feet to get into first gear from neutral. There's a lot more to think about than being on a scooter but it all becomes second nature.

Being stopped at a light is one place you're not expected to wave.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS