The oil spec conundrum

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Haarek
Year: 125 Forza
Color: Black

The oil spec conundrum

Post by Haarek »

The owners manual dictates that I should use SAE 10W-30 oil in my scooter.

"Fine" I thought

The owners manual also states that the oil should have no low-friction additives or have "fuel-saving" properties.

"Allright" I thought

A vanilla SAE 10W-30 oil with no friction modifiers. Piece of cake! ....not....

In Norway I can't for the life of me find an oil that ticks all the boxes without turning to motorcycle oil meant for wet clutches.

The spec I'm looking for is a SAE 10W-30 oil that meets API SG (or better) and JASO MB standards. Motul has such an oil, but it seems to me it is unavailable in stores.At least in my country.

I'm going to ask my dealer what oil they use, but I higly suspect they use the same 10W-30 motorcycle oil they use on all their wet-clutch bikes.

Since one of the Forzas fortes is fuel consumption I want to give it the oil Honda actually intends for it.

I can however get a 10W40 weight oil that ticks all the other boxes (https://www.xlmoto.no/olje-mineral-4t-m ... 0w40-mb-1l ), but I really don't want to use a more viscous oil in a brand new machine tuned for fuel consumption.

So, what do you guys think? Should I just go for wet-clutch motorcycle oil, go for the 10W40 scooter oil or a third option?
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: The oil spec conundrum

Post by Mel46 »

Hmmm... you are in Norway. I'm not sure what they stock there, but in the United States I use Mobil 1 full synthetic for my bikes. Still, someone over there might suggest something else because of availability.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You are taking this to a higher level that is required for this engine. Any good quality automotive multi grade oil 10w-40 or whatever will work just fine and any fuel savings is inconsequential or negligible. Don't over think this just keep your oil reasonably clean and the scoot will outlive you mostlikely, or rather your ownership period.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I higly suspect they use the same 10W-30 motorcycle oil they use on all their wet-clutch bikes.
Yep, just do that and don't worry about it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Any 10w30 motorcycle oil will be fine.
Problem of friction modifiers only applies to wet clutch bikes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza
Color: Black

Post by Haarek »

gn2 wrote:Any 10w30 motorcycle oil will be fine.
Yes, I'm also convinced it won't be harmful to use motorcycle oil with the correct weight. Thanks to everyone that replied! There seems to be consensus on the matter.
However I think it's strange that Honda specifies a particular oil that for some reason is not widely available or even heard of. The Forza is afaik the best selling scooter in Europe at the moment and apparently they get serviced with oil that is not following OEM requirements.

I have now done 300km on the new Forza and average around 2.2 L/100km. I just don't like the idea of gimping (albeit with minuscule effect) the excellent fuel economy with less than optimal consumables.
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Honda simply specify one oil that's safe across the whole range of their two wheelers.
So long as its proper half decent oil from a reputable brand, it'll be fine.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-780-10w30- ... e-oil.aspx
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong