I couldn't do it

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jocko1980
Year: 2017
Color: blue

I couldn't do it

Post by jocko1980 »

I was at the motorcycle dealer just about to trade my pcx150 for a "real" motorcycle.
I was at the salesman desk..papers filled out
numbers checked..when i looked at my pcx out front in the parking lot
and thought about all our adventures we had came rushing back to me
(Including being hit last year by a texting driver and breaking my arm)
i looked the salesman in the eye and sputtered
I cant do it..im keeping my scooter
He was flabbergasted...i literally got up walked out side
Got on my bluebomber 2017 pcx150 and drove around the county side for about 3 hrs
Haven't looked back!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: I couldn't do it

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Love This True Story! Woo-hoo, 8) Let's Ride!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A scooter is a superior and more capable vehicle than most "real" motorcycles.
Couldn't wait to get rid of mine, so much so that I traded it before I had finished paying up the finance on it.
No regrets going back to a scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

gn2 wrote:A scooter is a superior and more capable vehicle than most "real" motorcycles.
Couldn't wait to get rid of mine, so much so that I traded it before I had finished paying up the finance on it.
You had a SV650 right? What scooter did you get back on.
:geek:
Calculon
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Calculon »

There's nothing wrong with a motorcycle or a scooter. You should pick whatever works for you. I do miss whacking the throttle on my bike and the getting the sense of speed that the Forza will just never give you as it's slower than my car.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Calculon wrote:There's nothing wrong with a motorcycle or a scooter. You should pick whatever works for you. I do miss whacking the throttle on my bike and the getting the sense of speed that the Forza will just never give you as it's slower than my car.
I agree with this 100%. Scooters and motorcycles are apples and oranges. Yes they both go down the road with two wheels but the sheer Accel speed you can get from a big super bike or taking one 1000s of miles is unique, and special. Something a scooter can’t do. But then there’s many things the scooter can do the motorcycle can’t.. I’ve taken my scooter about 400 miles at a timeAnd motorcycles a lot more, they both get you there but they’re both different. virtually all of my riding now is urban/neighborhood . A scooter definitely does that better than a motorcycle. I enjoy both classes of vehicles. I give my eyeteeth to have one of the new Honda CB1000R bikes…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Well, I don't know. I suppose you can pretend you're changing gears and playing with a clutch.
My brother sold both his goats....and regretted it, too.
Now just walks around the neighborhood roping mail boxes.
I guess I see your point.

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

87112 wrote:
gn2 wrote:A scooter is a superior and more capable vehicle than most "real" motorcycles.
You had a SV650 right? What scooter did you get back on.
Yes, an SV650AL7, traded for an Xmax 300
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I agree that a scooter is the most comfortable and convenient ride to use in the city or around town But I'll be a devil's advocate here and say that it's one hell of a boring ride.

There something about scooters that makes them boring, maybe because it's auto or its lack of power but I don't seem to feel the road and the engine. With the PCX i feel like I'm being pushed instead of being on that engine in between my legs.

I'll keep the PCX for commuting but I'm getting a naked bike/Tourer if I want to enjoy long rides.

Don't trade, just buy another one.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had many motorcycles in my life, and there is a different feeling that goes with them than with scooters. They are fast. They are....fast.

Now let us look at scooters. They get you where you are going, as motorcycles do. However, you don't have to wear a back pack because the scooter has plenty of storage. What else? Hmmm... well, it is much easier to find parking for a scooter than a large, loud motorcycle. People generally don't mind if you park a scooter on a sidewalk, as long as it doesn't block the walkway. Motorcycles though, are too big and imposing to blend into the walking area.

What else? Well, I remember quite clearly riding my motorcycle during the winter and freezing my hands, legs and butt off. On the scooter, there is actually wind protection, and if you want to you can even install a Termoscud TUCANO URBANO to keep your legs and lower torso warm.

Also, don't forget maneuverability. Scooters turn so much easier in tight spaces.

Essentially, comparing motorcycles and scooters are comparing two completely different modes of transportation, mainly because they mean different things to different people.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

Went out to breakfast this morning here in San Francisco. As usual, I wheeled the PCX out of the garage, put the helmet and gloves on and...
Wheeled it back into the garage. Rolled out the Bonneville and took off.
Glad I have both, but for me there's an itch that scooters just don't scratch sometimes.
Nice to have the little guy around, though.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

just buy a 2nd bike i have 3 scooters and my insurance is only 450 a year for full coverage on all 3
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Struggled with the same thing. Had the PCX for town stuff and a Silverwing for the faster/longer stuff and then found a NOS Forza at a dealership. Wound up buying the Forza in addition to the other 2.

The Forza is my go-to bike now (better commuter because I can fit my work laptop under the seat), but I recently ran some errands on the PCX and was grinning the whole time. Hard to beat the PCX handling and just pure fun it delivers, plus sentimentally it's the bike that got me riding again. Maybe I should install the NCY variator kit and see if that gives me that little amount of speed that I'm wanting.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by cnikonpete »

I don’t think any vehicle ticks every box, nowadays I just need something to give me that freedom that only two wheels can give.
I have recently been looking at a Royal Enfield Indian made Bullet, to return to my motorcycle beginnings, or a BMW 310 r that is fast enough for me.
But then I think about losing the PCX, (can’t justify or afford two bikes), and realise I’ve ridden more in the last year than the previous five.
The scooter is fun, light, manoeuvrable ,and so easy to live with, except for my personal nemesis, plastic clips.
I have had to tinker with all my previous bikes, and mostly enjoyed doing so, but the thought of tugging on those plastic !?$€§…¥ things, and hearing the no going back now “crack” restricts my natural urges.
I suppose it’s an unfounded fear, but it does mean I won’t touch what doesn’t need touching.
So to sum up, I will be keeping what I have, and keep my little bit of freedom machine.
jocko1980
Year: 2017
Color: blue

Post by jocko1980 »

What I really love about the PCX is when people tell me I cant do long trips.
To me thats the fun its the challenge to find backroads to complete a long trip.
I've only had one bad experience a 45mph backroad was closed and i had no choice except a 55mph highway that is a truck route and nobody does 55
70+mph that was a tense 20 minutes
I've done a few 250-300 mile trips
Btw
Anyone know of a gps app that lets you only find back road trips?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Went out to breakfast this morning here in San Francisco. As usual, I wheeled the PCX out of the garage, put the helmet and gloves on and...
Wheeled it back into the garage. Rolled out the Bonneville and took off.
Glad I have both, but for me there's an itch that scooters just don't scratch sometimes.
Nice to have the little guy around, though.
Or, you can have one of these installed in your garage and totally lose it! :lol:

"The pressure . . . ". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

jocko1980 wrote: Btw
https://kurviger.de/en

They also have an app - which I also use for hiking, even the smallest trails are on there (only experience with it is in Europe though).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iger&hl=en
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

jocko1980 wrote:What I really love about the PCX is when people tell me I cant do long trips.
To me thats the fun its the challenge to find backroads to complete a long trip.
I've only had one bad experience a 45mph backroad was closed and i had no choice except a 55mph highway that is a truck route and nobody does 55
70+mph that was a tense 20 minutes
I've done a few 250-300 mile trips
Btw
Roger that - I typically do 50 - 100 mile rides on my PCX. For the app - doesn’t most mapping software have a secondary road routing option ?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

You can avoid highways with Google maps, but that is about it. I messed around with the website version, and it is really quite good, with lots of check boxes to tailor the kind of ride you want to take. I need to see how it will do planning a loop. Definitely worth a bookmark. Thanks Gangly!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Zulda
Year: 2018 (mod 2017)
Color: Red

Post by Zulda »

jocko1980 wrote: Btw
Kurviger (Android only, I think) or Calimoto (both, but quite expensive).
I purchased Kurviger and is great.
BTW, my last long one-day trip on PCX 125 was 500 km long ;)