Want a PCX but prices are crazy around here

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gaiusgracchus

Want a PCX but prices are crazy around here

Post by gaiusgracchus »

We looked at the prices others are paying and it seems our area is higher. We are in Reno, NV and we are also checking prices in CA.

The dealerships insist they make no money on these vehicles. They say that everyone everywhere has to pay the freight and set up fees and all sorts of other fees.

Is that true? The MSRP plus the fees works out to be around $4300 out the door .... seems high. Plus we feel it is misleading to post an MSRP that is totally unrelated to the actual price.
gaiusgracchus

Re: Want a PCX but prices are crazy around here

Post by gaiusgracchus »

That amount is not including reg fees.
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

In January I bought a new 2013 PCX150 fro $3600 out the door. They had to make money or the door would be closed for them...
2013 Honda PCX 150
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I didn't pay freight or set up fees at my dealership, but other dealerships in the area charged those fees. I'm in Indiana. Keep looking around.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I paid a little over $4,000 out the door not counting whatever we added extra, such as clothing. The msrp is $3449 and they don't have any wiggle room on that. Then there is shipping AND setup, which is them taking it out of the crates and assembling it, putting in fluids, and test driving it. I have seen prices from $3600 to $4300 out the door on various websites. I would check out of state and figure costs for you to drive over and driving it back if necessary...or borrowing a trailer to bring it back yourself. Sometimes it is better to look outside of your own area. If you can get a quote from another dealer out of state you could bring that to your dealer and see if he can match it. Play one against the other for the best deal.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gaiusgracchus

Post by gaiusgracchus »

The problem is that they are the only game in town. Then getting dealers in CA even to allow you to take it without paying reg fees is very hard. So you'd lose that money completely, and have to pay reg fees again in NV.

I called around to maybe 8 dealerships as far as 500 miles away and they all charged the fees. They said they make very little on these bikes and are not really motivated to work with people. They insist that Honda charges them the freight -- that all dealerships pay the same for the bikes. Probably true. But they should then be able to work with you on documentation fees and set up fees.

So I really don't know how you guys get the lower prices... quite a puzzle. Even if they eliminated freight, set up and doc fees completely, there is still the sales tax. At $3600 out the door they would either lose money or not make a penny on it, since one of them told me their cost (around 3400, if he is telling the truth).

Thanks for the input, in any case. We went ahead and bought it -- it is the only dealership within many, many miles that carries this item.
Gotta love a monopoly, eh?
At least they delivered it for free....
dinamasu

Post by dinamasu »

gaiusgracchus wrote:The problem is that they are the only game in town. Then getting dealers in CA even to allow you to take it without paying reg fees is very hard. So you'd lose that money completely, and have to pay reg fees again in NV..
The only way that the State of California will allow a dealer to sell out of state without collecting California taxes and registration is to have the dealer commercially ship it to an out of state address. (You pay the shipping costs)
I called around to maybe 8 dealerships as far as 500 miles away and they all charged the fees. They said they make very little on these bikes and are not really motivated to work with people. They insist that Honda charges them the freight -- that all dealerships pay the same for the bikes. Probably true. But they should then be able to work with you on documentation fees and set up fees.
Documentation fees are established by the State and Counties of residence. The dealer merely acts as a collection agency for the government.
Set up fees however can be negotiated, but good luck on a small bike.
Thanks for the input, in any case. We went ahead and bought it -- it is the only dealership within many, many miles that carries this item.
Gotta love a monopoly, eh?
At least they delivered it for free...
I live in Northern California (Stockton) and the cost is the same out the door as you paid. In Southern California the price is $4,600 out the door according to another post on this Forum.
Also the people in the Midwest and East just do not realize how far the distances are out here in the West. The distance between Reno and Las Vegas is the same distance as it is from Boston to Washington DC.
---
Don "very short person" Inamasu
Northern California
2013 Red PCX150, 2005 Silver Moto Guzzi Nevada, 2007 BMW F650GS
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

They can sell them for much less than they claim.
Make them compete for your business.
I always fill out the online quote and request an OTD price.let them know you are requesting quotes from multiple dealers.
Get the best price, then give everyone a chance to beat it.
My original best bid was 4800, and I got them down to 4000. And it was delivered free from almost 100 miles away.i never even left work.
My sons tu250 they first wanted 5500 and we got them down to 4600.
Chances are the dealer payed far less than their invoiced cost so don't feel sorry for them.
gaiusgracchus

Post by gaiusgracchus »

I was pretty amazed at how little they cared if I bought it or not.... I did see some better deals midwest and south, but out west they must be selling like hotcakes. I saw several of them fly off the lot here in Reno the past couple of months.

I have a feeling they are going to be really popular -- we considered the Sym HD200 which had fuel injection, liquid-cooled, disc brakes front AND rear -- cost was close to the same. Displacement was larger, but top speed about the same (governor???). However, seat was higher, weighed more, very little storage under the seat, etc.

Why so many companies were making 125cc's is beyond me. For just a bit more displacement you are freeway legal in many states. Yamaha only has the 125cc still -- Honda is going to eat their lunch.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

You can often get better deals the last day or two of the month, quarter or financial or calendar year, as they scramble to make their sales quotas.
Suz

Post by Suz »

Bought my 2013 PCX150 a week ago, $3450 out the door. Then spent $313 at the registry for sales tax, title and plate. I called a few dealers and asked if they had any in stock and the price, my dealer had 5 in stock.

Good Luck

Suz
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

gaiusgracchus wrote: I did see some better deals midwest and south, but out west they must be selling like hotcakes...
...we considered the Sym HD200 which had fuel injection, liquid-cooled, disc brakes front AND rear -- cost was close to the same. Displacement was larger, but top speed about the same (governor???). ...
...Why so many companies were making 125cc's is beyond me.
I got mine last August here in “flyover country”. I would have bought in July, but they couldn’t keep the red ones in stock. Contrary to my common practice, I didn’t shop around, and paid whatever they asked, including shipping and set up fees, which came to somewhere around $3700.

SYM HD200 is fuel injected now? Wow! That ought to improve its desirability. Anecdotally the SYM has a higher top speed. Wonder if they changed the governor when they added FI so it now has a lower top speed. SYM is a good bike, but Honda has better reliability records.

In most countries, bikes under 125cc have simpler licensing requirements than those over 125cc. Just the same, only different, as it is in the US with bikes under 50cc; which is why there are gazillions of 49cc bikes running around here.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

gaiusgracchus wrote:Why so many companies were making 125cc's is beyond me. For just a bit more displacement you are freeway legal[...]
--------------------
Here in Thailand, no two-wheeler -- no matter how big -- is allowed on the freeways/motorways (expressways/tollways). Years ago 200cc was the largest displacement one could find in the motorcycle shops, but now there are plenty of big bikes for sale. The laws are still lagging behind.

The saddest part is, even on a normal highway you could get fined for driving a motorcycle in the fast lane or overtaking. The motorcycles and scooters are supposed to stay on the shoulder.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You have to ride n the shoulder?! How do you get anywhere?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Mel46 wrote:You have to ride on the shoulder?
-----------------------
Yes, preferably on the shoulder or at least as far left as you can. The police can make an excuse to fine you if you don't keep left or you overtake. The law regarding two-wheelers does not make much sense anymore. It's a relic from another era when the motorcycles were little more than mopeds. Most Thais ride them like bicycles and don't care about traffic rules, but big bikes are now available.

On major four lane roads (such as Sukhumvit) there are signs telling motorcycles to 'keep left'. This means out of the cars' way. The shoulders here are usually wide (up to a few meters). The problem is, on the shoulder you meet all walks of life like oncoming traffic, stalled vehicles, pushcarts, vendors, dogs and debris.

I never ride on the shoulder, of course.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

khaosaming wrote:
Mel46 wrote:You have to ride on the shoulder?
-----------------------
Yes, preferably on the shoulder or at least as far left as you can. The police can make an excuse to fine you if you don't keep left or you overtake. The law regarding two-wheelers does not make much sense anymore. It's a relic from another era when the motorcycles were little more than mopeds. Most Thais ride them like bicycles and don't care about traffic rules, but big bikes are now available.

On major four lane roads (such as Sukhumvit) there are signs telling motorcycles to 'keep left'. This means out of the cars' way. The shoulders here are usually wide (up to a few meters). The problem is, on the shoulder you meet all walks of life like oncoming traffic, stalled vehicles, pushcarts, vendors, dogs and debris.

I never ride on the shoulder, of course.
Because it hurts?