Whats with the decrease in Bhp?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Whats with the decrease in Bhp?

Post by Scottish »

Thinking of getting a PCX again and noticed the newer models have less Bhp... :?
always wanted more oopmh from the PCX so why did they lower it?
Is it slower ? what the hecks going on?!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Whats with the decrease in Bhp?

Post by Mel46 »

Well supposedly they increased efficiency enough that they could lower the CCs. Frankly, I wish they would have kept th CCs and given us more Bhps.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Perhaps some countries have difference license requirements and going under 150cc makes its an easier entry point for some riders.

Or the insurance aspect, Honda may think lower rates for under 150cc will entice buyers. Otherwise I can't think of any reason for Honda to not make the current Pcx slower than the 2013 ones which I still feel are the pinnacle of the Pcx line.
:geek:
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

87112 wrote:Perhaps some countries have difference license requirements and going under 150cc makes its an easier entry point for some riders.

Or the insurance aspect, Honda may think lower rates for under 150cc will entice buyers. Otherwise I can't think of any reason for Honda to not make the current Pcx slower than the 2013 ones which I still feel are the pinnacle of the Pcx line.
*curious.....What makes you say that??
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

2013 PCX have the best gearing for fastest takeoffs. The dash is beautiful. The overall feel when I am on just fits like a glove to me more than the next 2 generations.
:geek:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

To me there’s not enough to tell without seeing a graph of the power curve. A lot of auto & bike manufacturers rate their engines’ top hp - and owners say how powerful they are. But in reality the power curve is so “peaky” and narrow that if doesn’t matter. It’s the usable hp / torque that matters and if it’s a bit less but has a broad band - it’s perferable usable power. Lots of oval track racers have the most hp - but not the best performance.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Honda UK website states 9.0kw (12bhp) for the current 2019 PCX125

The original 2009 PCX125 was 8.3kw (11.1bhp)

2014 PCX125 eSP was 8.2kw (11bhp)

So am not sure where you getting idea that power is down?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Ok must be Autotrader at fault, they're showing all models before 2018 with 11bhp and after with 9bhp
probably using the 9kw figure for bhp
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Has anybody seen any YouTube or enthusiast press that compares the ET or 0 to 60 time for a 2013 versus a 2019?

Like Springer says, just because there’s a slight reduction In horsepower, that does not necessarily make it a slower, or massively slower, Machine.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Scottish wrote:Ok must be Autotrader at fault, they're showing all models before 2018 with 11bhp and after with 9bhp
probably using the 9kw figure for bhp
Aye, that'll be it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The first PCX 150 to reach the United States was the 2013 model, and it is definitely faster than the ones that came after it, mainly because the gearing was changed...and later on the engin itself was modified.
I absolutely love the power my 2013 models have.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:The first PCX 150 to reach the United States was the 2013 model, and it is definitely faster than the ones that came after it, mainly because the gearing was changed...and later on the engin itself was modified.
I absolutely love the power my 2013 models have.
Real rice pudding botherers are they.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, when you are talking about a scooter you are talking about basic transportation, not a sport bike with 1000 CCs and enough bhp to pull a truck. It's a "puddle hopper", but it is fun and keeps up with in town traffic. That is what it was built to do.

Speaking of scooters, yesterday it was pouring down, as usual in the Winter down here, and I saw what looked like a high school student riding through that heavy rain on her little Vespa. We had our windshield wipers on high, but she didn't even have a windshield. Poor girl. I think she was going to or from a part time job because she was in dress slacks and nice shoes. I would NOT go out on my bike in that weather, so she must not have had a choice. Poor thing. That is dedication.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Speaking of scooters, yesterday it was pouring down, as usual in the Winter down here, and I saw what looked like a high school student riding through that heavy rain on her little Vespa. We had our windshield wipers on high, but she didn't even have a windshield. Poor girl. I think she was going to or from a part time job because she was in dress slacks and nice shoes. I would NOT go out on my bike in that weather, so she must not have had a choice. Poor thing. That is dedication.
Sad story Mel. Enough to bring a tear to the eye. :roll:

For some people that is necessity.

Some riders can pick and choose when they ride for pure pleasure. Some riders have to ride for a reason. And finally, some riders have no choice . . . it's a way of life.

It would give me a grin to see more and more people abandon the burden of the expensive cage mobiles and join the ranks of the riders. Fun and youthful exuberance doesn't have to cost much! :D

Needless to say the environment would be better off too! 8)

There are those times when having a cage is practical indeed . . . bad weather, highway conditions, the need to transport a family or items, and the list goes on. But it doesn't have to be "biggest cage in the zoo" either. Less is more. ;)
100_5823a.jpg
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Nice to see the yellow Jazz in the driveway :-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:Speaking of scooters, yesterday it was pouring down, as usual in the Winter down here, and I saw what looked like a high school student riding through that heavy rain on her little Vespa. We had our windshield wipers on high, but she didn't even have a windshield. Poor girl. I think she was going to or from a part time job because she was in dress slacks and nice shoes. I would NOT go out on my bike in that weather, so she must not have had a choice. Poor thing. That is dedication.
Years ago I used to commute on an MZ TS150 in winter, in snow. Because I enjoyed it.

If you've never ridden a Motorenwerke Zschopau six volt two stroke, you've never lived!

Mine was in much worse condition than this one.
Its probably the only bike I've owned which I would buy another of.

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Nice to see the yellow Jazz in the driveway :-)
Thanks! It's my last car. Here they call it the Honda "Fit". I couldn't ask for more . . .. It does everything I need it to and it's fun to drive with the standard shift. I'm hoping I'll still be driving it 30 years from how. :lol:
Years ago I used to commute on an MZ TS150 in winter, in snow. Because I enjoyed it.

If you've never ridden a Motorenwerke Zschopau six volt two stroke, you've never lived!

Mine was in much worse condition than this one.
Its probably the only bike I've owned which I would buy another of.
That's the spirit! :D

When there was a lot less traffic almost 50 years ago I'd venture out on snow covered roads with my Suzuki TC90 but would be hesitant to do it today for a list of reasons. :roll:

Maybe you'll see one again restored and back on the street . . .. I didn't realize the MZ marque has quite a history with early two strokes. :geek:
TC90.jpg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:
TC90.jpg
My first bike was its big brother, TS185 in orange with high level pipe.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

gn2 wrote:
Old Grinner wrote:
TC90.jpg
LoL - A GREAT GREAT bike !!! I beat one of those to death !!! I didn't trust the auto-lube was working right, so I'd simply pour some oil in the tank with the gas - never measuring - and that bike just ran no matter what I did. I removed all the electrics one Saturday morning and was going to wire it up to run right off the alternator after lunch.

So I'm sitting there in the kitchen eating a sandwich and I hear this 2 stroke outside ...... there's my 12 year old riding around out back !!!! Turns out the bike - sans any wiring - would somehow kickstart no problem - we had to use the choke with full throttle to turn it off. Ran that way for several years.

We'd go riding in mud bogs and have that engine totally caked in dried mud, and it still didn't overheat. I one time rode up a seriously steep climb - laying forward on the handlebars - 1st gear full throttle to keep from stalling or losing traction - thinking it was level on top. Wrong !!!! The "top" was only 5' or 6' wide, I sailed off the other side in mid air - lucky to be saved by thick honeysuckle vines at the bottom. The TS was so embedded that we had to tie several long stout ropes to be long enough - and tie to the frame and pull / drag it and honeysuckle back over the top and down again with the 4x4 pickup LoL. The front end was SO D*mned cockeyed it was impossible to ride anymore that day. Got home, loosened the fork and triple tree nuts - used a 2x4 to straighten it out and - WALA -ready for the next trip !!!!

Taking that flying leap scared the $%*^ out of me. That was a GREAT bike !!! We'd stop in "spray it yourself" car washes to power wash the caked / baked mud off - and get chased by the attendants for the mess we left. And then get home, finish hosing them down - and that TS would kick start as if nothing had happened - let it idle for several minutes to cook off all the remaining water, hit the choke and open the throttle - she'd sputter to a stop and be ready for the next ride !!

D*MN I wish I was young again !!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Old Grinner wrote:
TC90.jpg

One of my friends had one and it was the first non moped I rode. The orange peanut tank was beautiful. I bought a ke175b3 as I wa less keen on the updated TS185.

I’m currently restoring an imported ke175.