MSF Basic Rider Course

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

MSF Basic Rider Course

Post by Indyglow »

To get my motorcycle license, I went through the MSF Basic Rider Course using a scooter (Honda Elite 110) the entire time. I don't know if you can do this nationwide, but it was an option in my area. I never wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle, I only needed to get my license to ride a big scooter. So if anyone wants to take the Basic Rider Course on a scooter, check into it because it may be an option in your area.
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Re: MSF Basic Rider Course

Post by ItsaHonda »

The MSF courses here in Central Florida also offer scooters (none larger than a 150)... so it may be/become standard practice across the board.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

MSF courses are great but they are expensive. I had every intention of going that route until i was hit with the price tag. After some research i learned i could just take the motorcycle riding test at the local license branch i would only be charged a few bucks to reprint my license. So that is what i did and i found the test fairly easy. I did it on my PCX of course. I imagine it would be quite a bit more difficult if i had to deal with shifting gears.
calinaz

Post by calinaz »

The courses here in AZ also offer scooters as an option.

They are expensive, but definitely a good idea. I never took their basic course, but did their advanced course after riding for about 4 years. Highly recommended! I learned a lot of little things that have really made me a better rider!
Before doing anything stupid, make sure there are no uninvited witnesses...
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

You are now required to take the MSF coarse in Florida...the DMV test is taken at the school and all you have to do at DMV is pick up your new lisence with the motorcylcle endorsement on it, the school takes care of the rest. It runs about $200 on average. They don't give motorcycle learners permits anymore either... though I believe you still have a 3 months grace period to get your endorsement following the new registration of a bike. You need a motorcycle endorsement for anything larger than a 49cc. 49cc and below can be ridden with a standard driver's lisence, but you DO need a driver's lisence nonetheless.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
dinamasu

Post by dinamasu »

ItsaHonda wrote:You are now required to take the MSF coarse in Florida...the DMV test is taken at the school and all you have to do at DMV is pick up your new lisence with the motorcylcle endorsement on it, the school takes care of the rest. It runs about $200 on average. They don't give motorcycle learners permits anymore either... though I believe you still have a 3 months grace period to get your endorsement following the new registration of a bike. You need a motorcycle endorsement for anything larger than a 49cc. 49cc and below can be ridden with a standard driver's lisence, but you DO need a driver's lisence nonetheless.
In California you can not even ride most mopeds without an endorsement. California has an M1 and an M2 motorcycle endorsement. The M1 is what every other state calls a motorcycle endorsement. But if you intend to ride a scooter or "fast" moped -

The moped with the 20 mph cap can be driven without a license of any kind, but the driver must be at least 16 years old. (I guess they consider it an electric bicycle and human powered cyclists around here
often travel at 25 to 30 mph.)

You will need to obtain a Class M2 license if you choose to go the way of the scooter or the moped with a maximum speed limit of 30 mph."

An M1 endorsement is required for any scooter with an engine 50 cc or larger.

But the requirements for the M1 and M2 endorsement are the same, the only difference is you can do the M2 riding test on a moped. :lol:

We still have Learners Permits which restrict you to day time and no freeway riding.
---
Don "very short person" Inamasu
Northern California
2013 Red PCX150, 2005 Silver Moto Guzzi Nevada, 2007 BMW F650GS