Looong trip on PCX 125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maninmanaus
Year: 2020
Color: Red

Looong trip on PCX 125

Post by maninmanaus »

Hi from Portugal

Hoping to get some sage advice here for a crazy journey.

The good news is, I just bought a new PCX 125 in Coimbra, Portugal (on credit - it was on offer...coronavirus madness... live while you can etc).
The bad news is, now I've lost my job.
The good news... I found a new job.
The bad... It's in Albania
You can see where this is going, can't you?

I got a quote to ship the PCX from Portugal to Albania - 650 Euros. o_O I can't afford that, so I looked at a possible riding route on Google, and it can be done. You have to go via Spain, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro, but it can be done.

I calculate four overnights, five days riding, hopefully in August - around 10 hours per day at an average speed of 80kph/55 mph.

More good and bad news: I'm not in any hurry; I'm 61 years old.

Right, there we are. So, does anyone have any useful tips, or any experience I can learn from?

Many thanks for any (polite) comments. :)
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Looong trip on PCX 125

Post by DAB »

I've worked in Albania all be it many years ago. I would catch a ferry from Italy to Albania. You will not want to go on the motorways so it's going to be a long hard ride.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

The PCX will make it, the rider is another story. The handicaps of the PCX are the suspension and the seat. The suspension doesn't have that much travel and the shocks aren't up to the job. I have done 400 mile trips on my PCX 150. The 150 will be in the sweet spot between 55 and 60 MPH. On the 400 mile trip, it took me 12 hours to cover that distance. Google maps states 10 hours, but once you include the gas station stops and food stops, it was 2 hours more. Also your average speed will depend on how long you ride without stopping.

A friend of mine did a cross country trip on his Honda Grom and he was happy to get a 45 mph average speed during the day time. He was able to do that by having a second gas tank to allow him to ride for ~4 hours without stopping. He really emphasised on planning all the stops on your trip ahead of time, so that you won't lose time looking for gas or lodging.

It is certainly doable and I would do it. I would recommend that you do some test rides to see how long you can ride on the scooter and that you add more time to your trip. You should also consider shorting it with a ferry that DAB recommends.

One last consideration, the cost of your trip might make the 650 Euros shipping fee cheaper. I'm sure lodging will add up really quick, along with the three meals a day that you will purchase and fuel. Oh and do check your oil regularly. On long trips I check it on every stop.

Good luck.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am going to ask the obvious now. Isn't travel in Europe restricted now dur to the Coronavirus outbreak? I have a grandson stationed in Italy and they are in lockdown right now, and I understand that other countries are following their lead.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I am going to ask the obvious now. Isn't travel in Europe restricted now dur to the Coronavirus outbreak? I have a grandson stationed in Italy and they are in lockdown right now, and I understand that other countries are following their lead.

It is.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Mel46 wrote:I am going to ask the obvious now. Isn't travel in Europe restricted now dur to the Coronavirus outbreak? I have a grandson stationed in Italy and they are in lockdown right now, and I understand that other countries are following their lead.
Indeed it is, even travelling within your own region is in Belgium not allowed at the moment. Police can stop you at anytime and only essential movements are allowed. Crossing borders with other countries of Belgium is just a futile attempt at the moment unless you are a truck carrying supplies/food/... or are working across the countries border (but you need a certificate for that).
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

maninmanaus wrote:so I looked at a possible riding route on Google, and it can be done. You have to go via Spain, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro, but it can be done.
Go to Bari and get the ferry that will save about 500kms and maybe can be one of your overnights.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

The OP did say 'hopefully August', so he may be able to do so by then. :)