Tire size

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Venom_Pcx
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Tire size

Post by Venom_Pcx »

So I’ve seen a lot of posts about tires. But never a good explanation
I had ordered 120’ss for the front and was gonna do the 140’ss for the rear. But I want to know if that’s risky or not? Or should I stick to the oem size? Also has anyone changed they’re bars? And bar ends. ? Thanks :ugeek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Tire size

Post by you you »

Venom_Pcx wrote:So I’ve seen a lot of posts about tires. But never a good explanation
I had ordered 120’ss for the front and was gonna do the 140’ss for the rear. But I want to know if that’s risky or not? Or should I stick to the oem size? Also has anyone changed they’re bars? And bar ends. ? Thanks :ugeek:

Why do you want to move from OEM size?

Bar and bar ends are no more difficult than on any other bike. A pain can be the bar end screws though due to the threadlock compound. Properly fitting screwdriver and a whack with a hammer should sort that. Or an impact tool if you have one.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Pcx? I think there was a recent thread about the new tire size on the older bikes. The new rims won't fit the older bikes, and I think someone mentioned concern about the width of the new tire at the rim on the older rims. My suggestion would be, you can try them and let us know of any problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I've never felt a need for wider tires since Michelin City Grips work very well in the stock size; however, from what I've seen of other people's experiences, you're going to have some rubbing with the sizes you've referenced. some owners have safely gone up one width size on each tire without any major adjustments, but you still may need to take off the rear splash guard.

There's some crazy wheel and tire combinations that have been done on the PCX, all of which seem to come out of southeast Asia, including what look like thin mountain bike tires. Just the same, I still think the stock size is the best choice.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forums :P It's tires again. Who knew they would be in such demand. Anywho, lots to be found on the topic but when searching tires it's overwhelmed. That means a fail in finding your answer(s). Sorry, nature of the beast. Try a search in mother Google's search bar, there you'll be successful.

But wait....
Did you come upon this thread by any chance?
Take a look: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8701

Now how about You do us a favor? Please take a moment to add your location to your profile. It helps us to help you now, and in the future. I have easy directions below my post to get'r done :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Venom_Pcx

Post by Venom_Pcx »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome to our forums :P It's tires again. Who knew they would be in such demand. Anywho, lots to be found on the topic but when searching tires it's overwhelmed. That means a fail in finding your answer(s). Sorry, nature of the beast. Try a search in mother Google's search bar, there you'll be successful.

But wait....
Did you come upon this thread by any chance?
Take a look: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8701

Now how about You do us a favor? Please take a moment to add your location to your profile. It helps us to help you now, and in the future. I have easy directions below my post to get'r done :P
Venom_Pcx

Post by Venom_Pcx »

you you wrote:
Venom_Pcx wrote:So I’ve seen a lot of posts about tires. But never a good explanation

Bar and bar ends are no more difficult than on any other bike. A pain can be the bar end screws though due to the threadlock compound. Properly fitting screwdriver and a whack with a hammer should sort that. Or an impact tool if you have one.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Iv'e read that the OEM rim is narrow and attaching a wider tire will create a squeezing effect on tires and will actually reduce the contact area.

1 size up won't be a problem though..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

when you replace your tires ive heard theres a rubber strip that needs to be replaced to on the rim ive only been riding for 2 years and still have my original tires. I dont even know if the pcx has this rubber strip
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

big bear wrote:when you replace your tires ive heard theres a rubber strip that needs to be replaced to on the rim ive only been riding for 2 years and still have my original tires. I dont even know if the pcx has this rubber strip
The rubber strip is a protector for spoked wheels to prevent the inner tubes from puncturing.
The PCX uses tubeless tyres on solid cast rims so does not need it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

good thanks
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Take it from someone running bigger tires. One of the best things I did. 140 rear 120 front(i think).

Speedo does read low but no big deal. Rides muuuuuch better and highway feels night and day.
20190622_165628.jpg
20190622_165628.jpg (653.81 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
20190622_165637.jpg
20190622_165637.jpg (415.01 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
20190705_193257.jpg
20190705_193257.jpg (635.21 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I think it's risky. Increases chance of crashing and getting killed. Also insurance would make a big deal out of you modifying the original tires so they might blame you for the damages.

No need to change tire sizes. OEM will stay in place whereas oversized ones are likely to come off under certain conditions.

You have to use the tire that the rim is made for.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
I think it's risky.
Unless you have experience with someone that has had this happen, Its not that big of a deal.

The tire wont come off the wheel if its inflated properly and installed correctly. I run my bike harder than most with ZERO issues. If you plan to keep the bike completely stock and rarely go over 60, stock size is fine.

Anything over that on stock size tires is much more dangerous. The stability of the bike with larger tires is night and day. Once you change the Variator 70+ is pretty easy, and stock tires at those speeds is horrible.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

you you wrote:

HEAT applied to the very tip of the bar end helped it come out on my son's CB500X.
Fish
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

Venom_Pcx wrote: Also has anyone changed they’re bars? And bar ends. ? Thanks :ugeek:
Yup.

Z-Bars went on easy.
20190516_200505.jpg
20190516_200505.jpg (610.61 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

I have been running that tyre size for the last 2 years and it's one of the best changes you can make. You will need to adjust your air pressure accordingly as with more volume you need less psi. I typically run 28-30 in the rear and 25ish in the front unless I'm doing a lot of 2up riding then I add 3-5 psi. My bike handling with that and the new rear shocks is night and day better than with stock, and soooo much better for riding any long distances.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S