Questions from a Soon-to-be Rider

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jbeckr
Year: 2020
Color: red

Questions from a Soon-to-be Rider

Post by jbeckr »

Hello to all.

I have been following the forum for a few weeks. I have rented scooters (PCX) in France and recently got my motorcycle license here in California. Looking at buying a red 2020 PCX ABS. A few questions:

1. I am having a hard time finding one. My local dealer has none in stock and does not know when Honda will be shipping them again.A more distant dealer - 100 miles away - has one. I may go look at it, but i am concerned with the distance - the only way to get back from there involves a major highway. (US-101)

2. When I do buy one, is there any additional equipment or accessories that are a must-have?

3. When you buy, do people generally negotiate/make an offer like on a car, or do people pay list price? I know it doesn't hurt to make an offer.

4. Any other advice on buying my first?

Thank you in advance.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: questions from a soon-to-be rider

Post by alx123 »

1. I don't suggest riding this far on your first ride with the scoot. Just too dangerous if your'e not that acquianted with your new scoot yet. Ask the dealer if they can deliver it to you instead, haul it on the back of a truck. Or if you have a truck yourslef, why not..

2. Helmet, riding jacket, top box (the list goes on and on, but those are the basics)

3. Don't know, I'm not from the US. In Asia, only used cars/motorcycles are negotiable.

4. Prioritize safety, PCX not for major highways (not enough power) but is fun around town
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
jbeckr

Post by jbeckr »

Thanks. I was thinking that the distance was too far. I will ask about delivery.
gjschwartzman
Year: 2019 and 2020
Color: Bronze and Red

Post by gjschwartzman »

If they won't deliver, can always rent a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul if you have a hitch. Pretty cheap to do so. Should be able to negotiate a few hundred off at best.
jbeckr wrote:Hello to all.

I have been following the forum for a few weeks. I have rented scooters (PCX) in France and recently got my motorcycle license here in California. Looking at buying a red 2020 PCX ABS. A few questions:

1. I am having a hard time finding one. My local dealer has none in stock and does not know when Honda will be shipping them again.A more distant dealer - 100 miles away - has one. I may go look at it, but i am concerned with the distance - the only way to get back from there involves a major highway. (US-101)

2. When I do buy one, is there any additional equipment or accessories that are a must-have?

3. When you buy, do people generally negotiate/make an offer like on a car, or do people pay list price? I know it doesn't hurt to make an offer.

Thank you in advance.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

jbeckr wrote:Thanks. I was thinking that the distance was too far. I will ask about delivery.
Definitely not good to take a new scoot on a freeway.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Definitely not good to take a PCX on a Freeway.
If the local dealer has any 300cc scooters, buy one of them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Thank you in advance.
1) as suggested above, put it on a truck or a trailer to get it home. If it were me, I'd ride it the 100 miles; but not on a highway. A new scooter shouldn't be put through that kind of strain in the first 300 miles or so (some would argue otherwise), and your own safety is paramount.

2) taller windscreen than stock, good helmet, a cargo rack with top box (or save yourself some money and get a crate and a cargo net).

3) there isn't much room for wiggle on these scooters price-wise. You might be able to get the dealer to drop the freight and prep charges, but not likely. They don't make a lot on small bikes and scooters so they are not very likely to haggle with you.

4) sit on the bike/scooter. get a feel for it. Sit on several before choosing. A bike that feels good to others may not be your cup of tea.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

1. When I was a new rider, it took me a year to get on the Highway with my Yamaha Riva 170. Use a trailer or a small truck, it's easy to load up the Honda scooter.

2. Definitely, spend some good money on a quality Helmet. They have better cloth material inside, are usually quieter in the wind, and most times are better insulated from outside noise. My first helmet was $100 HJC helmet, safe but very noise. Like someone else mentioned, a Top box is really handy when running errands and for storing your helmet/Jacket. Oh also, you might want a Motorcycle riding jacket, Motocycle shoes and gloves. The first and only time that I fell off my scoot when moving at slow speed, the jacket saved my arm and shoulder skin from being sanded off. The jacket doesn't have to be anything fancy, just some sturdy cloth and padding that could take a slide on asphalt.

3. I have only bought used Motorcycles and cars, but when I have stepped into a Motorcycle dealer they are as bad or worse than an Automobile dealer. With the exception of a mom and pop Honda dealer in Salinas, CA. So, don't be afraid to haggle. Also where in California are you located?

4. Don't be afraid to buy used. Most used scooters sold in California have low miles. It seems to me that people tend to buy it on a whim and then never ride it. That's the reason I have bought used, you can find some deals if you are patient and setup an auto search alert. I guess you could buy used that way if you find the scooter to slow for you, then you could sell it and buy a bigger one.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If you're planning on doing your own maintenance - don't buy any scooter that will be a pain to work on.
Valves, spark plug, etc. Not sure how much trouble you'll have? - buy a manual first. Much less expensive than buying a scooter you'll hate at service time.

Then get at least two dealers in the mix for your money.
3 if there's another brand you'd be happy with as well.

Use the internet for special "internet pricing".
Negotiate the delivery.
It's a buyer's market - not a seller's.
Most of the USA does not have a good local scooter shop - we have motorcycle dealers selling scooters out the screen door around back.

Toss all of this out the window IF you have a good local scooter shop. Buy from them!

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Since you have your motorcycle license you could consider entry level bikes in the 300cc range.

You could ride an Interstate Highway on a Honda CBR300R or Rebel 300. If you plan on riding mostly "around town" or back roads a Honda PCX 150 will be fine. Just don't expect to cruise at speeds more than 55 MPH even if it will go faster. That said if you want to travel on major highways get a bigger machine like a 300. The only 300cc range scooters available here right now are the Vespa GTS (Sei Giorni) and Yamaha XMax. The Suzuki Burgman 400 and 650 are pricey. You can get a Burgman 200 but sit on the thing first to see if it's "a fit". A lot of reviews I've seen on it claim the seat is awkward relative to it's position in the frame.

That said being relatively new to the game with a limited amount of riding experience I agree with others that getting some practice in on "less traveled" roads is a good idea. Jumping on an Interstate Highway with limited riding experience on a new machine can be terrifying if someone cuts you off, a deer runs across your path, or out from under a truck appears a muffler in your path. When you are more familiar with your machine you can tend to react with more confidence and purpose.

Note that IMHO the suspensions on scooters tend to be more soft and on motorcycles a bit more resilient.

Just my two cents worth . . . don't mean to sound confusing. :geek:
jbeckr

Post by jbeckr »

Great advice received here. This is a great community! thanks
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

If its not too late, here is my input.

The PCX150 is incredibly fun to ride, but it is not an Interstate highway capable vehicle. I find that I can get up to about 64 mph, but a bit slower if there is any incline at all in the road. I feel very comfortable taking it on roads with a 55 mph posted speed, but that is about the limit as to where I will use it. Without a taller windscreen you definitely need a full face helmet. Even a 3/4 helmet with a partial shield will be challenging unless the temps are about 80 or warmer. I suggest a good modular or full face helmet, and in really warm weather or at low speeds you can lift the visor to keep cooler.

I do not think a top box is critical. There is a great deal of storage space under the seat. Then again, it depends on what you plan to do with this scooter.

Pesonally, I would not have this scooter if it were to be my only two wheeled vehicle. I have been riding for close to 40 years, and my primary ride is a Honda Goldwing. But I love the PCX and use it for more than just local errands and the like. Some days, like today, I just wanted to take a fun ride and went out with the PCX and did about 35 miles in and outside of town, including roads with 55 mph posted speeds. I kept up with the vehicles going a bit faster and all was good. To get a scooter capable of 75 and more, at least a 300cc is needed, preferably even a bigger engine. If I were planning today to have only one two wheeler, and wanted a scooter, it would be the Burgman 400.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

ll give my $0.02 if its not to late.

1. Look for used ones. You Never know you might get lucky like me and find an almost new one for much cheaper. I will agree that stock to ride 100+miles on highway is a little sketchy, but is very much doable if its a must. Couple mods cruising 65+ is easy but thats not the case here. Worse case, Rent a pickup and go pick up the bike.

2. Helmet, Gloves, and if you want, a Jacket. Keep it simple until you commit to purchasing accessories like Top box.

3. You can ALWAYS haggle. They always mark up bikes just like cars. Ask for $500 above cost and no assembly fee's.

4. If you are mechanically incline, buy used. If you plan to mod at all, buy used.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Vito I like how you explained the top speed of this scooter and what uses it's good for.

" I find that I can get up to about 64 mph, but a bit slower if there is any incline at all in the road. I feel very comfortable taking it on roads with a 55 mph posted speed, but that is about the limit as to where I will use it"

I will definitely emphasise your point when people ask about the top speed of the Honda PCX. 55 MPH is definitly the sweet spot for this scooter.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

20191127_144918 (2).jpg
20191127_144918 (2).jpg (245.56 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
My wife has a 2016 PCX150. I love it, but for my 12 mile commute to work I wanted something with a little more power. Also wanted a higher seat and leg room, and larger wheels so it handled more like the motorcycles I am used to riding.
After researching, I decided on a Kymco People GT300I. it has 16" wheels/tires, and a 32" seat height. and the single cylinder 300cc has plenty of power to pass vehicles on 55 mph roads. (it tops out at 85) . I previously bought a used Kymco Downtown 300I, but it didn't have enough leg room for me and its seat was to low and the bars too close. It did have good wind protection. It is very similar to the Burgman and Majesty.
I searched the internet till I found the "People" a 2014 with 4k miles. It was 235 miles away, but for me it was worth the drive. It is way easier to work on than most scooters. Easy access to the motor via seat removal and seat pan up and out. About 8 bolts in all. It's not as refined (smooth) as the Majesty, and Burgman 650 I have owned. But well worth the $1800 I paid for it and it was over $5000 when new. With my around town riding (jack rabbit starts from traffic lights) I still average 75 mpg.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Nice scooter, loving the colour.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: silver

Post by vito »

I wonder how Kymco compares to Honda in terms of reliability.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

vito wrote:I wonder how Kymco compares to Honda in terms of reliability.
Same or better.
jrewillis
Color: Red

Post by jrewillis »

Thank you in advance.
Hi

I was a new rider and through experience I put together this video that might help you:

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Nice video- I wish there were a replacement seat that had a reasonable shipping cost, the ones I’ve seen to resolve the hump were reasonably priced but the shipping was waaay high.