PCX won't start in cold

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wukno1

PCX won't start in cold

Post by wukno1 »

Hey folks! My PCX is 2 years old now and just when the warranty has ran out it started to give me some trouble! It just won't start with temperatures dropping down to or below 0° Celsius. So when I need to go do my commute I can't bloody use it, but when I come back from work later afternoon it starts like a dream! How irritating and weird right !?!?

I have attached a video to demonstrate the problem - when ignition turned ON - usually PGMI light comes up for 1-2 seconds - but not when it's cold, then light won't come up and bike will not start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loac9Mma ... e=youtu.be

Has anyone come across similar issue?
wukno1

Re: PCX won't start in cold

Post by wukno1 »

could not find EDIT button so here is the new link to new working video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJnTqAch ... e=youtu.be
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My suggestion would be to try a new battery and see if that sorts it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

sounds like battery, i would charge it up if you have battery charger and see how it goes
Mecky

Post by Mecky »

I'm a PCX 125 owner from Holland and have been reading this informative forum for over a year now.

I had a similar issue with my 2011 PCX after around 14000 km. No start in the morning after a freezing night and it would start perfectly after work. My problem was solved after replacing the spark plug. The manual says replace after 8000km, mine was replaced at 14400km. I kept on riding with the original one out of curiousity on how long the plug could go! I suggest you start with the spark plug before changing the battery.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Mecky wrote:I'm a PCX 125 owner from Holland and have been reading this informative forum for over a year now.

I had a similar issue with my 2011 PCX after around 14000 km. No start in the morning after a freezing night and it would start perfectly after work. My problem was solved after replacing the spark plug. The manual says replace after 8000km, mine was replaced at 14400km. I kept on riding with the original one out of curiousity on how long the plug could go! I suggest you start with the spark plug before changing the battery.

That's all well and good, but I did not even hear the motor turn over in the video. A low battery would be a more likely cause.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
wukno1

Post by wukno1 »

Hey guys! Thanks for you advices first of all.

I did check the battery before I created this topic and I can say that definately it is not battery as one night I kept it indoors to keep warm and charged, put it back in on a very cold morning and still nothing. Left it in and very same day, late afternoon it started first time with no problems at all, just like Mecky said.

I've put on 11,000 miles on the scooter so far and Spark Plug apparenlty has been replaced couple months ago by my local garage when I had it serviced last time but will get it checked somewhere else as I'm kind of lost trust in that guy.

Question to Mecky - can you remember when yours was playing up, whether you had PGMI light coming up with startup sequence or not?

The clue to solving this mystery (I think) is that bloody PGMI light not coming up when ignition key is turned on....
Mecky

Post by Mecky »

Wukno1:

As far as I can remember the PGMI light did come up. I'm not very sure about it though, but I do have a habit of checking such things.

A few PCX owners in Holland have had issues with spark plugs dying prematurely. I would recommend replacing the spark plug first. It is also the cheapest option you have, especially if you can do it yourself. If the spark plug is not the cause then you can always keep it for spare!

I wish you all the best.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The PGMI light not coming on would seem to suggest that the self checks it runs prior to starting are not completing correctly.
Have you asked your local Honda dealer what they think it might be?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
wukno1

Post by wukno1 »

Yes, they did say it could be problem with Automatic Choke... They asked me to leave it overnight with them so they can inspect it on "cold" first thing in the morning...

I needed the bike to commute and already spent (or thrown away should I say) £80 for labor at my local garage on the fix that didn't help at all, and with the warmer weather coming next week decided to do some research on my own :)
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

wukno1 wrote:Yes, they did say it could be problem with Automatic Choke... They asked me to leave it overnight with them so they can inspect it on "cold" first thing in the morning...

I needed the bike to commute and already spent (or thrown away should I say) £80 for labor at my local garage on the fix that didn't help at all, and with the warmer weather coming next week decided to do some research on my own :)
Please come back and let up know what the problem was.

Thanx.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
wukno1

Post by wukno1 »

Sure thing will do! That's the reason I came here in the first place as well. As soon as I find out what was the problem I will share that info here. It might take a while thought, as with a warmer weather coming to UK it (hopefully) will not be until the very late this year I will start having same problem...

Will keep you guys updated!
hilikus

Post by hilikus »

Did you ever solve this problem? I have a 2010 PCX 125 with ~3,000 miles on it (~1.5 years old) and have never had problems of any sort with it. This morning the temperature was below 60 *F and everything ran great, but at lunch when the temperature was >80 *F I found the same problem as you: the PGM-FI light won't come on when I turn the ignition and the engine won't start.
I'm not certain about the mechanism of ignition, but I feel like none of the other electric components would function if the battery had died. Is this correct? Or is there a certain amount of battery life needed for a start, therefore allowing minor electrical components to still work (such as blinker, lights, speedometer backlighting, almost the exact situation shown in your video)?
To clarify, I have no idle-stop, on mine there is a Kill Switch in that position. For ignition the side stand needs to be retracted and the kill switch disengaged. I haven't done any maintenance on the bike since buying it, my commute is ~4 miles round trip everyday, and the bike is stored outside.
If you could tell me how you solved your problem (if you did) it would help me greatly.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow, this is all interesting. I thought battery weakness and then moisture? Just me pea brain thoughts spoken :ugeek:
Wondering (and not to change subject), does anyone keep their scoots on a battery tender while not in use or during storage? You know, like winter or? It does keep them tip top and their lifetime longer.
Hope all gets found here and reported back. Good luck! :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Best thing for keeping the battery in good condition is to ride the scooter.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

WhiteNoise wrote:... Wondering (and not to change subject), does anyone keep their scoots on a battery tender while not in use or during storage? You know, like winter or? It does keep them tip top and their lifetime longer. ... :)
I normally do. I use an inexpensive Battery Tender Jr. (looks like a wall wart) trickle charger. I ride pretty year 'round here in Texas but virtually all my trips are short and at relatively slow speeds so I don't always get a good recharge just by riding. Battery life is shortened when discharged beyond a certain point, so my batteries need some extra attention.

Best,
Bash On!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

Happened this morning to me. Battery fine. No prior startup issues.

The 'wintry mix' is the variable. Snow got on the bike, then melted, then refroze this morning.

Any idea what I should spray ice melter on first? My guess is the sideways winds pushed the moisture somewhere it doesn't usually go.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its the temperature that causes the problem, lotions and potions won't help.
When the battery is cold the amount of oomph it can kick out is reduced, this is known as the CCA rating and as batteries age the CCA can drop below the amount required for a succesful start.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:Its the temperature that causes the problem, lotions and potions won't help.
When the battery is cold the amount of oomph it can kick out is reduced, this is known as the CCA rating and as batteries age the CCA can drop below the amount required for a succesful start.
Precisely. Just because it's been on the tender all night, doesn't mean it's going to work in the cold. To rule out the battery, put on a new one. Worst case, you'll have a spare.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Be interesting to know the outcome - if not the battery (still a problem with the battary and bike warm) or spark plug, well there are loads of sensors feeding the ECU - 5 or 6 or them so perhaps one of those can be dodgy or one of the multi-way plugs needs re-attaching.