Oil change short story

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Oil change short story

Post by OriginalRocket »

I was bored today. Waiting for the delivery of my new lawn tractor, figured I'd change the scooter oil for this riding season.
I changed the oil of the PCX 125 before I put it in storage with mobil 1 10w-30 extended protection car oil.

I was reading the manual, and Honda recommended a MB rated motorcycle oil. I have been reading up on the difference's of motorcycle vs car oil. Seems anti-wear additives are increased in motorcycle oil, as well as a heavier dose of anti-foaming additive(s).

With time to kill I used the 1 left over quart of Amzoil 10w-30 motorcycle oil from my NC700X oil change over the winter. I was going to use a quart of Mobil 1 4t racing 10w-40, but I wanted maximum MPG's from my commuter. So I stayed with a 30weight oil this time.

I'll probably run this oil out for the full 2500 mile recommended interval. By that time I will need a new rear tire. And that is a whole new issue. Might try the Michelin Scooter city tires http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index ... =CityGrip
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Oil change short story

Post by SmellyTofu »

How do you pour the oil in? Do you use a funnel or an old water bottle with the top cut out?

I found after not finding the oil in stock and that every store telling me I can use the normal MC oil, I'm going to go with my left over Mobil 1 5W-30 after 1000km coz it seems any old oil will do.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Oil change short story

Post by OriginalRocket »

The difference from traditional motorcycles, is the clutch is not in oil, it is a dry clutch system. Plus the transmission (cvt belt drive) is also not in oil. Thus many people feel they can get away with automotive oil. And I ran auto oil for 5700 miles.

The cavet is Honda recommends a MB motorcycle oil. The reason? I don't know. Maybe the high rpm and oil pathway design?

The PCX ran fine for me, but since I had the correct weight oil I thought I'd give it a try. Usually mc oil has higher levels of anti wear additives and anti foaming additives.

Who knows. Just my story.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

I did try to get the Honda's HP4M oil although they seem to be out of stock of them. I still have time before the 1000km is up anyway (800 now) but I just want the stuff handy so when the time comes, I can just drop the oil there and then.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Make sure you don't use high efficiency oil though, it could cause extra wear.

I agree -- motorcycle oil likely isn't necessary because of the dry clutch, but it never hurts to use it anyways.

The oil change interval on the PCX is 5000 miles -- use synthetic if you wait that long, conventional will gunk up by then.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Oil change short story

Post by Alibally »

maddiedog wrote:Make sure you don't use high efficiency oil though, it could cause extra wear.

I agree -- motorcycle oil likely isn't necessary because of the dry clutch, but it never hurts to use it anyways.

The oil change interval on the PCX is 5000 miles -- use synthetic if you wait that long, conventional will gunk up by then.
I thought it is 2500 miles ??
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nope, oil change interval is definitely 5000 miles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Alibally, you're probably thinking of valve adjustments (which is 2500 miles [which is ridiculous because you adjust valves 2x the amount you change oil]).

Maintenance intervals here, for reference: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Oil change short story

Post by Alibally »

Your quite right. I assumed that it would get done at every 2500 service, not every other service.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seems a bit rubbish as my new car has a 20k oil change schedule. 60k!!! If you take it easy
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

It is ridiculous that valves needs to be checked more often than an oil change. If that was the case, why wouldn't/couldn't you design valves that don't require adjustment checks??
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SmellyTofu wrote:It is ridiculous that valves needs to be checked more often than an oil change. If that was the case, why wouldn't/couldn't you design valves that don't require adjustment checks??

Youre
missing the point. They don't need checking that often. Every 10k miles would be my interval, unless they got noisey
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

I'm just referring to what Honda says to do as opposed to what actually happens. Invariably the plastic panels that needs to be removed so frequently would be prone to breaking
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Ah yeah sorry you are correct oil is changed 5000 per the manual. But that is 5000 miles on an engine that spins 9500 rpm with unfiltered oil totalling just 1 quart. Ive got it in my head to change the oil every 2500 miles as per the valve schedule.

And the valves I checked at 600 and 3000. From here on out they will get serviced every 10000 miles.
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

Unless your enine isn't runnin correctly and you are having loss of power than I wouldn't get the valve adjustment done either. It is quite expensive and can eliminate the fuel savings compared to driving a fuel-efficient car.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Follow the step by step instructions on here and save your self huge amounts of money.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Oil change short story

Post by SmellyTofu »

jasontheparamedic wrote:Unless your enine isn't runnin correctly and you are having loss of power than I wouldn't get the valve adjustment done either. It is quite expensive and can eliminate the fuel savings compared to driving a fuel-efficient car.
I was going to DIY the valve check job since I have dismantled the panels before. The extra work to open the covers and using the feeler gauge isn't hard.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

jasontheparamedic wrote:Unless your enine isn't runnin correctly and you are having loss of power than I wouldn't get the valve adjustment done either. It is quite expensive and can eliminate the fuel savings compared to driving a fuel-efficient car.
After watching some youtube videos i decided to adjust the valves myself. I never adjusted a valve on any engine before and the only thing i needed was a feeler gauge which i bought at the local hardware store for $4. It was pretty easy and straightforward as smellytofu suggests.
valuesynthetics

Post by valuesynthetics »

Let's not forget that oil also has a time limit for replacement. = 12 months or 5k miles (2.5k my preference) whichever comes first. ;)
-Jacob
PCX150
Nashville, TN USA
AMSOIL Independent Dealer
www.valuesynthetics.com