Effects of Extended Use At/Near Governed Top Speed

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

rmaragon@yahoo.com
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Grey

Effects of Extended Use At/Near Governed Top Speed

Post by rmaragon@yahoo.com »

Hi, this is my first post.

I have a PCX 2013 that I bought used about 18 months ago. I've really enjoyed riding it around town and for my short commute. It's also been economical; I'm getting about 90 mpg. The main issue though is that it's been great fun.

I've rarely taken the PCX on the highway, but have done it a few times just to try. These "tries" have included several rides during which I was hitting a high-end of about 63 mph per the speedometer. A governor/variator stops the bike from going faster; I could feel it kicking in. That said, it did not appear to me that the bike was straining or approaching any design limits.

Hence my question: While it seems clear that a PCX could travel basically forever going 40-50 mph, it isn't clear to me at all whether traveling at or close to the maximum governed speed (about 63) stresses the bike, creates increased wear, or shortens engine life.

Can any of you experienced riders provide some insight on that question? I don't intend to do this often if at all, but as I rode about 63 mph for more than an hour I was wondering if I was risking damage to the bike. There were no short-term issues I could identify, except that the PCX is a quality machine.

Would like to keep my bike a long time, which is why I am asking/wondering.

Thanks very much for your insight.

Ray A.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Effects of Extended Use At/Near Governed Top Speed

Post by gn2 »

Mine sat just below the rev limiter for probably more than half the 19,000 miles I did on it.
Ten years on its still going strong, I see it out and about sometimes.
Have no fear of stretching its legs, probably do more good than harm, blow the cobwebs out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Since I changed out my variator and rollers my bike has had no problem hitting 75 mph. I don't run it at that speed very often now but it has never complained when I did. Though the belts have very little miles on them right now it would seem to me that the belt would be the only item to be concerned with shortening the life of. Otherwise, it's a Honda. It could probably go all day wide open. Honda sets these limits as a conservative measure. They know that riders will push these bikes beyond that limiter. They aren't blind. Every Asian country has a PCX group that modifies their bikes. Japan, Thailand, Vietnam... and then there are the other countries and areas, like Europe and the Americas. That is a lot of modifications.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
rmaragon@yahoo.com
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Grey

Post by rmaragon@yahoo.com »

Thanks Mel46 and gn2 for the insight. I'm new to scooters and motorcycles so your experience really helps!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

rmaragon, please go into your profile and add your general location so that we can help you more. Because this is an international forum there are members from all over the world, and Honda has modified their bikes to meet the regional requirements in these locations. Therefore, each may have its own problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Mine sat just below the rev limiter for probably more than half the 19,000 miles I did on it.
Have no fear of stretching its legs, probably do more good than harm, blow the cobwebs out.
Tell me about these cobwebs, I’m worried that my bike might get them.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Your concern is a legitimate one. I think it's legitimate because when riding this scooter at it's top speed the engine is also at it's top RPM. When Gasoline engines are run at their top RPM they wear out faster. But, I wouldn't worry about it. Just check your oil often when on long high speed rides, like 400 miles long. My engine died at ~36K, but that was due to running it low on oil, so low on oil that the dipstick was dry, and my top speed went up, LOL.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Mine sat just below the rev limiter for probably more than half the 19,000 miles I did on it.

Tell me about these cobwebs, I’m worried that my bike might get them
Edited: Comment Removed - Nothing to read here folks - WN
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:

Tell me about these cobwebs, I’m worried that my bike might get them
Edited: Comments Removed - Nothing to read here folks.
Let's move on - WN
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

These scooters are tuned very conservatively. I've done lots of 100+ mile days many times, with most of that at the limiter with no issues.

You'll be just fine - my only advise is to leave a bit of extra braking room, since your scooter does not have anti-lock brakes (ABS) and to make sure you keep on top of the maintenance schedule. The PCX doesn't really have an oil filter - just a screen - so it's important to keep fresh synthetic in there.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Well, if the question is - does running the engine at or near red line "bad" for the engine?

The answer is certainly yes.

The reason there is a red line, or rather an electronic limiter that prevents engine from turning at revolutions higher than certain value, is in order to prevent engine from disintegrating at excessive engine speed.

If the PCX engine that is limited to let's say 10000 rpm, is allowed to spin at 25000 rpm, there is high chance it will explode within minutes, or maybe hours but the parts will wear out so quickly that it will not run poorly.

The reason the excessive revolutions are damaging is because of the increased force that is created when a part is moving at a higher than designed speed. So the bearings will have to face significantly higher forces (pressures), crank bearings, piston pin, crankshaft to block bearings, etc.

So, all things equal, the engine that is run at moderate revolutions will have significantly less wear and stress compared to the one that is run at or above the red line, therefore the first one will last longer.

As others have stated, with good oil that is kept at a designed level, you are unlikely to experience an engine failure that could be directly attributed to running near red line, unless your bike has a lot of miles (say over 20000), then I think you will start running the risk of having some part of the engine fail a lot sooner. Could be a head gasket as well, due to increased combustion pressures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxPrtHW1ys
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you use fully synthetic oil there will be no engine wear.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Is this a 125? Redline at 63mph seems to be very conservative.
PCX 150 can coast without any trouble at 68Mmph and will reach it's limiter at around 73mph.
I believe Honda's rev limiter is too conservative, but it make sense in a way, considering the poor braking capability of the PCX.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

gn2 wrote:If you use fully synthetic oil there will be no engine wear.
If that was the case, it would mean a PCX engine was alike to perpetual motion machine that would last forever ;)

Obviously that's not the case and there is always wear when the engine is running.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Use fully synthetic, ride 500 miles a week every week.
You'll break before the engine will.
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

gn2 wrote:If you use fully synthetic oil there will be no engine wear.
No engine wear? That's impossible unless you don't use the engine. Anything that moves is subjected to wear.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Friction causes wear.
Lubricant reduces wear.
Fully synthetic reduces wear to negligible amounts.
Properly maintained a PCX will easily outlast its owner.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
If the PCX engine that is limited to let's say 10000 rpm, is allowed to spin at 25000 rpm, there is high chance it will explode within minutes, or maybe hours but the parts will wear out so quickly that it will not run poorly.
That's a YUGE stretch there. No engine that I know with a certain RPM limiter will EVER run twice the RPMs limiter removed.

From the Ruckus game. The Limiter is set to 9k RPMs. We add a CDI and spin them to around 10.5k in which you start to float valves. with lightened valvetrain we have seen 11.5k but not for long periods of time. Under a minute just to break our top speed records.

As for the PCX, I have ran a lot of Highway. Granted Im modded so 65-70 is all under 8700rpms.. 78mph @ 9200limter. To be pinned at WOT for a long period of time takes too much concentration since its all over the road. Go with bigger tires, a Variator and let the engine settle in the mid 8k range and you can cruise all day long no problem. Not to good for the engine when you constantly bounce the limiter (at least I hate that feeling).
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

I honestly don't know how some of you are getting 75mph fully stock. Mine maxes out at about 105 kph. I weigh 93 kg and have a tall windshield and even then that's about all I can get out of it.

I honestly wouldn't recommend riding it at max speeds for hours at a time as it simply isn't designed for that. As far as wear and tear on engine and components, of course it'll be faster since everything is spinning faster. So if you are going to do that, I'd keep a close eye on fluids.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

op3l wrote:I honestly don't know how some of you are getting 75mph fully stock.
Anyone who says a standard unmodified PCX will do 75mph is a liar.
Hope that explains it for you.