First Ride on my new ADV

General Honda ADV150 chat, questions about the ADV150, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pa-outdoorsman

First Ride on my new ADV

Post by pa-outdoorsman »

Hey folks, new ADV 150 owner here. Seems these bikes are still fairly scarce, but I found a "used" one at a dealer in Massachusetts with only 148 miles on it! Bought it over the phone and made a six-hour drive up from my home in Pennsylvania last weekend to get it. Only had a chance for one ride so far, putting about 25 miles on the bike. Have to say I really love it based on my initial experience. This is my first scooter/motorcycle, so don't have anything to compare it to, but it's just what I was hoping for in terms of size, easy of driving, smooth power, responsiveness, etc. Plus, I love the more aggressive styling of this bike and the beefed up suspension. Doubt I'll be doing any serious off-roading, but it's nice to know this bike can handle a little bit of cross country duties when needed.

I've seen lots of talk about acceleration and speed on this bike. My initial impressions are that it is has very good acceleration off the line, is a bit hesitant in that 20-35 mph range and then pulls like a race horse from 35-55. Top-end acceleration is slow, though I briefly had the bike up to 61 mph and still had more to give. However, being this was my first ride and the engine is still in the break-in period, I didn't want to push it. Honestly, at 60 mph I started to feel like the front tire was getting a bit lighter, so I just let off the throttle and slowed down. Probably normal for two-wheeled vehicles as you get up to those speeds, but again, as a newbie felt a bit unnerving.

Anyway, stock configuration is probably fine for me for now, but I've seen online where you can easily put an aftermarket clutch and variator in these to improve acceleration at the low end and perhaps gain an additional 5-6 mph on the top end, maybe getting close to 70 mph. Hard to imagine ever wanting to cruise at that speed on this bike, but probably nice to have it just in case you're going 60 and need a bit of extra power to maneuver away from traffic.

Here are a few photos from my ride. Enjoy, and please chime in to share your experiences with your bike. Happy riding to all!
Streamside.jpg
Streamside.jpg (188.19 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
Farm-Lane.jpg
Farm-Lane.jpg (358.18 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
Sunset.jpg
Sunset.jpg (365.03 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
2021 Honda ADV 150
Pennsylvania, USA
EricV
Year: 2021
Color: Silver

Re: First Ride on my new ADV

Post by EricV »

Great pics! The ADV frees up a bit around 800 miles and will rev up a bit smoother then. I have just over 7k on mine now. You might also want to check your tire pressure. My dealer set ours at 20Front/25Rear and the owner's manual calls for 29F/33R.

Keep having fun!!
Honda ADV150 #371
Tupelo, MS
IBA #488
pa-outdoorsman

Post by pa-outdoorsman »

Thanks. I checked pressure after the ride and my tires were just slightly over inflated. I adjusted to factory spec.
2021 Honda ADV 150
Pennsylvania, USA
SantinoInc
Year: 2019
Color: Gray

Post by SantinoInc »

Awesome post man! Love the pics and description. I'm kind of like you but I got the 19 PCX instead. I've had it less than a month but I'm having a lot of fun with it, that is, whenever I have the opportunity to use it!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cool!
You Do look like the Happy camper (well, not so much the camping part, but you know) A Big Smile = dead giveaway :D
Congrats on owning an ADV it's a bit of a Sexy one posing here. Very nice photos.
Enjoy lots more rides and please keep us posted with updates. Be safe too
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It does look at home off road. Great pictures.