MC Endorsement

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wolf39us

MC Endorsement

Post by wolf39us »

Who here drives without there endorsement on a bike more than 50cc? In two weeks, I will finally NOT be riding without an endorsement... I've been naughty for the last year though.

My delay has been the fact that Florida requires a safety course along with a new license print out ($250). This is a relatively new law and it's too bad I wasn't able to just take a written and pay next to nothing, but oh well. I paid for the course today and will finally be legal on the 19th.

I wonder how many of you just took a written and got a motorcycle endorsement without meeting a safety course requirement? How many of you just ride around on luck?
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Re: MC Endorsement

Post by Shoe »

Wow, 250...

I got my OCY back in 81 and don't remember paying more than 10 bucks. I kept it since. Good thing eh?

They had us riding some cones, answer some questions, that was it. Just do it. I doubt you'll be covered for insurance without it.

I was surprised to see insurance rates on my PCX compared to all my other vehicles. o_O
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Cost me $50.00 for the three day MSF course given by the state of Delaware.

I would never have considered riding more than 50cc without the endorsement. In fact, I don't think the dealer would have sold me the PCX without it. And, when I registered the bike today the DMV clerk asked to see my license first.

Don
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

MC Endorsement

Post by Alibally »

GeezyRider wrote:Cost me $50.00 for the three day MSF course given by the state of Delaware.

I would never have considered riding more than 50cc without the endorsement. In fact, I don't think the dealer would have sold me the PCX without it. And, when I registered the bike today the DMV clerk asked to see my license first.

Don
That's cheap. I just did my CBT that's needs done every 2 years unless the full licence is passed and it was £110 using my own PCX. It's a 1 day basic training course
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Yes, it is a good deal. Out of state residents must pay $200.00 which still isn't too bad.

Insurance costs here aren't too bad either. I paid $177.00 for "full" coverage for one year. The minimum coverage required by the State would have cost $94.00 per annum.

Don
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Laws vary widely. Here the written test gets you a permit which is good for riding anything on two wheels. The only restrictions are no pilon, rides after sundown, and permit lasts only one year. Full license test requires simple maneuvers on a course designed to frustrate riders who can’t handle a clutch. Costs <$10. No safety course required. Insurance costs me $75 yr.

I’m not saying this is all good, but it sure it convenient and cheap for me.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

In my recent years I've been riding a 2005 50cc scooter without a motorcycle endorsement in this state.
But I just traded that piece of junk in for my new PCX 150 and my teenage daughter and my wife want to ride it.
So, the three of us are going to take the Motorcycle Basic Riding Course here in Washington State.
We, as a family of 3, will take the riding course together this Spring. I could certainly use a refresher and I insist my wife and daughter are properly trained. We'll all be in the same class.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Alibally wrote:That's cheap. I just did my CBT that's needs done every 2 years unless the full licence is passed and it was £110 using my own PCX. It's a 1 day basic training course
So save money by getting a full licence.
I can't understand why anyone rides around on a CBT for any longer than it takes to get a full licence.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

1. Cost.
2. Time
3. Canny be bothered.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

1: compared to £55 a year for CBTs, in time a full licence is the cheaper option
2: you only have to do it once, so again the full licence is the better option because long term it takes up less time
3: that's more like it ;)

How you can bear to ride with the plates of shame beats me it's just so... embarrassing
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yeah, man up ya pansy
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

MC Endorsement

Post by Alibally »

The L plates don't bother me. It's a cheap runaround not a fashion statement.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I took the 3 day MSF rider course for $50. Took it on a scooter. Just taking the license test without the rider course is $10. I'm in Indiana.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:The L plates don't bother me. It's a cheap runaround not a fashion statement.

Totally agree. But bikes are pretty cool too. Think about taking your test
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Rode my PCX for a year then looked at doing the full test...£800 and about 4 days, if you fail its £100ish to redo the test!

Booked the test myself (under £100 for both mods) and watched a load of youtube videos on how to ride the way they want you to. Passed both first time and saved a fortune but it was a bit more pressure not having an instructor with you like everyone else had.

15000 miles and never had any kind of crash or scrape!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

That's the way to do it, nice one :)
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

gn2 wrote:... I can't understand why anyone rides around on a CBT for any longer than it takes to get a full licence.
Makes sense in London if the only reason you have a scooter is to beat the rush hour traffic, save a fortune on transport, you have a car for ventures beyond the city and have no desire for anything bigger.

In fact if you ask my wife, she'll tell you that why I am on L plates
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The only thing which would make sense in London is leaving it.
Still can't understand why anyone would ride for years on L plates, maybe its just my age, when I was younger it was a matter of pride to get your test done as soon as possible.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Alibally wrote:
GeezyRider wrote:Cost me $50.00 for the three day MSF course given by the state of Delaware.

Don
That's cheap. I just did my CBT that's needs done every 2 years unless the full licence is passed and it was £110 using my own PCX. It's a 1 day basic training course
I'm pretty sure you can't take a full A1(?) UK bike test on the pcx if you wanted a 125 licence. It would be best to do it on a geared bike anyway otherwise you would be stuck with automatics and no option to get a manual at some stage. They changed all the UK bike licence stuff at the beginning of the year, so I may be wrong.

The thing about getting a full licence is it means you are no longer at the mercy of changes to the licence/training/power restrictions that come out of the EU all the time. The tests don't get easier either, and the price of the CBT etc. will keep rising.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

edscoot wrote:I'm pretty sure you can't take a full A1(?) UK bike test on the pcx
The rules changed significantly earlier this year.
There is now only one class of 125.
Previously there were two and the PCX was in the lower category.

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-mope ... quirements