2013 PCX Front Brake Pad Change

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

2013 PCX Front Brake Pad Change

Post by Coasting »

My dealer recently changed my front tyre and noted that my front disk pads were worn out and that there was corrosion on the pistons - and estimated USD equivalent of $145 to $200 to "make the problem go away".

From past experience I'm somewhat weary of them; I'd stop short of calling them "misleading" but I think "opportunistic" and "self-serving" is probably a good summary.

I've ordered replacement pads in the past (and had the dealer fit them) so I ordered the same part again, and now have them in my hot little hands. They'll definately be due for replacement, but not sure of the significance of their "piston corrosion" claim. Brakes are certainly working 100%.

I thought I might have a go at fitting them myself (I do all my own CVT maintenance so no stranger to working on the bike -- and I have all the tools I'll need AFAIK).

Just wondering if there are any "gotchas" that I should be aware of? (like pistons popping out) (I'm assuming that they won't unless I pull the brake lever). In the past I've also seen the dealer push/pull/do-something near the caliper that resulted in all the fluid returning to the reservoir - but can't figure out what - something that I figure I'm going to need to do to account for the increased thickness of the new pads.

Would appreciate a "heads up" from anyone who's done this.

Many thanks.
power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Re: 2013 PCX Front Brake Pad Change

Post by power-full »

https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Just make sure to clean the whole assembly (including the piston parts which are sticking out) with some brake disc cleaner before pushing the pistons back in (person in the video above did not do this).
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

How many miles you have? I'm passing 20k now and have yet to change either my brake pads or drums...
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

grndslm wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:38 am How many miles you have? I'm passing 20k now and have yet to change either my brake pads or drums...
Coming up on 81,000km. Last changed at 33,000km - so 48,000km on this set.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

grndslm wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:38 am How many miles you have? I'm passing 20k now and have yet to change either my brake pads or drums...
Dang, i'd love to be able to ride in that environment to just cruise and not have to constantly MotoGP through traffic lol

I changed my front pads as they were 95% worn away at roughly 9k kilometers. I ride in SE asia and I'm either full gas or full brake.