PCX 150 Hard to Start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dennisc999@gmail.com
Year: 2019
Color: Grey

PCX 150 Hard to Start

Post by dennisc999@gmail.com »

Bought a PCX150 in 2019 in South Florida. It is used only once every couple of months so it sits for months at a time. Until recently everything worked fine but yesterday it would not start for a very long time...over 50 tries until it did start. Thinking it may be the gas or spark plug but wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to try
Red Thunder
Year: 2011
Color: red

Re: PCX 150 Hard to Start

Post by Red Thunder »

get some good fresh gas and put some cleaner in the fuel. I would use something like sea foam or another good brand. I had this happen after the bike had sat for an extended time. The fuel will slowly degrade and the deposits left behind will clog the filter in the tank and the injector. Mine was bad enough that I had to replace the filter inside the tank. If you catch it now you may be able to save yourself some trouble. Even with the small tank I would put the whole bottle of sea foam in it. It won't hurt anything it is just a higher concentration of the chemicals already in gas that help keep things clean.
After you get it running good again I would put some Sta-Bil in the fuel before you store it. The high humidity in Florida will also play a role inside the tank. The moisture in the air ( after it evaporates will leave deposits in the filter and tank also if you let it sit for a couple months.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: PCX 150 Hard to Start

Post by Jge64 »

Whatever you do, don’t try and start it 50 times. If it doesn’t start after three or four times, shut it down and figure out something else to do to solve the problem. You’re just gonna burn up your battery and starting mechanism.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI