No idea as to why headlights became dimmer

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

No idea as to why headlights became dimmer

Post by 150pcxer »

Hi all.

I realised recently that my front headlights have become dimmer than usual.

My bike is running on halogen HS5 35/30 headlight bulbs.

I have no idea what is the cause. I've brought the bike to the workshop and they checked

1) The battery. It was showing 14.6 volts on the multimeter when the engine was on.

2) The fuse. Doesn't look like it's blown.

I replaced with a new halogen bulb and the light is still dim.

In the picture with the "SLOW" marking, the light seems bright and whitish but in reality, it is actually dimmer and more yellowish.

The other picture is to show that the bulbs indeed emit a more yellowish tint of light.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Re: No idea as to why headlights became dimmer

Post by Ganglylamb »

I have no idea what amps the fuse is rated as I have the LED version but: dimmer light and more yellow (lower CCT value) indicates to me that the current is being limited.

2 things you could do:
1) check voltage at light bulb - if you have a significant voltage drop compared to what the voltage is at the battery with the engine running then this indicates the resistance is too high somewhere between the battery and the light bulb socket
2) test each side of the connections to the light bulb socket for resistance

Perhaps there is some corrosion which is increasing the resistance or the power supply lines could even be 'pinched', effectively reducing diameter of the wire and as such also increase the resistance - which could become dangerous as this area of the cable will start to become quite hot with a DC current going through it.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Ganglylamb wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:22 am I have no idea what amps the fuse is rated as I have the LED version but: dimmer light and more yellow (lower CCT value) indicates to me that the current is being limited.

2 things you could do:
1) check voltage at light bulb - if you have a significant voltage drop compared to what the voltage is at the battery with the engine running then this indicates the resistance is too high somewhere between the battery and the light bulb socket
2) test each side of the connections to the light bulb socket for resistance

Perhaps there is some corrosion which is increasing the resistance or the power supply lines could even be 'pinched', effectively reducing diameter of the wire and as such also increase the resistance - which could become dangerous as this area of the cable will start to become quite hot with a DC current going through it.
Hi.

Which is the set of wiring/cable that could be faulty?

URL 1 : https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 41/2/15471

is it 6 or 7?

or URL 2 : https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 01/2/15471

is it 4?

Thank you.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Honestly I have no idea - I have an LED version and even if I would have the non-LED version I would have to check myself on the bike. But anyhow here is the wiring diagram from the SM. Basically I would check every wire going to the headlight for resistance.
SM_22_3_wiring diagram 13 model.pdf
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Ganglylamb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:25 am Honestly I have no idea - I have an LED version and even if I would have the non-LED version I would have to check myself on the bike. But anyhow here is the wiring diagram from the SM. Basically I would check every wire going to the headlight for resistance.

SM_22_3_wiring diagram 13 model.pdf
or could it be this?

https://bikerzbits.co.th/honda/pcx/pcx- ... generator/