Bits in the transmission

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Ozzibiker
Year: 2016
Color: Pearl Blue

Bits in the transmission

Post by Ozzibiker »

I started to hear a faint whining sound, like gears meshing, sometimes when slowing to stop.
I'm not sure if it's related, but recently I changed the belt and rear tyre, and so removed the clutch assembly, drive face, rear wheel (and removed and cleaned the rear brake).

I decided to do the transmission oil ( which has probably never been done. 15,000 km. Ouch!)
A few metal specks and a silvery dust in the oil.

Anyway, the drain bolt wouldn't go in so I stuck a magnet in the hole and pulled out these.
Bits.jpg
Bits.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 992 times
I can't see them in the parts manual. Seem to be a clamp for a bearing or similar. Do they look familiar to anyone.

I'll see how the sound progresses. I may be getting myself a new drive set in the future.
Honda PCX 150 - 2016
Honda VFR400 - 1989
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Bits in the transmission

Post by Jge64 »

If I had pulled stuff like that out of my rear end oil, I wouldn’t be driving it anywhere. I get it towed to the nearest Honda dealer have them check it out. Or, if you have the expertise , it’s time to tear down that rear cavity.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Ozzibiker

Post by Ozzibiker »

Thanks,
I'll be opening it up and replacing the bearings. I'll look at changing the drive gears to a fast ratio also.
Honda PCX 150 - 2016
Honda VFR400 - 1989
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Be sure to tell the shop about the drain bolt not wanting to thread back in. It looks like it COULD be threads from the casing the drain & fill plugs thread into - like someone overtightened it and stripped the threads (some of which then galled into the bolt threads which is why it doesn't want to screw back in) and some ended up inside with the gears. Not for sure, but check the threads of the drain & fill plugs to see if there's more pieces there.
Ozzibiker

Post by Ozzibiker »

springer1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:42 pm Be sure to tell the shop about the drain bolt not wanting to thread back in. It looks like it COULD be threads from the casing the drain & fill plugs thread into - like someone overtightened it and stripped the threads (some of which then galled into the bolt threads which is why it doesn't want to screw back in) and some ended up inside with the gears. Not for sure, but check the threads of the drain & fill plugs to see if there's more pieces there.
Thanks for your reply.
The bolt didn't go in because those parts above where blocking the hole.
I've opened up the transmission. The bolt and threads are fine. I'll replace the bearings and will order a new Yamanashi high speed gear set for the future.
Honda PCX 150 - 2016
Honda VFR400 - 1989