Red paint & hello from London

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

snake

Red paint & hello from London

Post by snake »

Hi all, I'm snake from London - got my PCX this week from a previous owner who seems to have looked after it very well. Look forward to getting involved with the forum. A quick query I haven't been able to find via a search - what is the exact paint the red PCXs use? I'm new to two wheels and have already managed to scuff my pristine scoot trying to be a bit too clever in London traffic. It's very minor so I'd like to respray it myself, anyone know where I could get the right paint? Are there any car companies (eg Honda) that have the same colour in a car range, as they're more likely to be stocked in a high street store like Halfords.

Thanks all!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Red paint & hello from London

Post by gn2 »

There should be a colour label on the side of the underseat storage compartment.
It won't be a standard car colour and it won't be cheap.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
snake

Post by snake »

Cheers gn - I'll take a look. If it does turn out to be pricey, I think I'll go for the nearest match I can find cheaply as the scuff is about the size of a 2p piece so I'd try to keep the area sanded small. Or just be lazy and leave it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

snake wrote:Or just be lazy and leave it.
This is the best option.
No point tarting it up till selling time, then you can do all the scuffs and scrapes in one go.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

You could just use a bit of nail varnish. It might make it less noticeable!
tildarama1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tildarama1 »

Hi,

Found this site :

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/colour ... dyear=2011

OR click RS mototrbike paint at the bottom of this page

http://www.lloydmotorcycles.com/

Cant see RED as an option but they might know how to get it :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi snake! Welcome. Which bit of plastic(s) did you scuff? Have you thought about just replacing it/them with new? In "the" red of course :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
snake

Post by snake »

UPDATE: My worries about the little scuff have proved to be irrelevant. Went to the Post Office feeling happy as I was picking up my glastonbury festival tickets, returned to find my scoot on its side. Some utter c**t had hit it - can see where the car's paint scratched off on the right side - knocked it onto its left. Brake lever scratched, petrol leaked, two cracked bits of trim. I was going to take gn's advice and leave the minor damage but I don't want to leave this as it is. How f*cking annoying, I haven't even had it a week.

I suppose most damage is on that front wing, which I will try to replace. Has anyone done this themselves? I really want to try to reduce costs. Or does anyone know a cheap place in east London I could ask?

FFS
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

That sucks big time. Just when you think you have a small problem resolved some jackass comes along and ruins your day. I would be thoroughly pissed off if that happened to mine.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ouch!! More misery :| Dangit! Now that's how "Not To Enjoy" a New-to-You scoot! If not considered before, maybe now thinking new panels are the way to go? Don't know what is local to you, but thought I'd throw out a link to give you an idea of bits & pricing. Hope you get it all sorted soon and wipe out this bad dream and ride aNew! ;) http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... #sch691777
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
rebrab842
Year: 2011
Color: black

Post by rebrab842 »

hi snake, looking at panel prices L/H front panel £87.40 cill panel £54.08 and L/H side panel £115.23 mirrors are £17.10 and rear brake lever is £9.84 and the left hand foot panel is £56.84 all these prices include vat so compared to super bikes all these panels are really quite cheap. These were priced up today at the local honda dealers.luckily the woman that hit mine on saturday admitted it and said she'll bring round the cash tomorrow, happy days.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Hi Snake:

Unfortunatley I have experienced your pain, that sucks! I dumped my PCX125 last fall and trashed the entire right side (all panels) in the gravel, not to mention some skin and my shoulder.

I amanaged to fix everything myself. All the damage was body parts so I was initially dreading the cost. But I found a resource for parts and found them to be VERY reasonable, so much so that you could replace/change colour a will. I don't think any of the panels were more than $15 USD, mostly less. The whole project for parts was right around $85 USD.

That said, you would be wise to order a service manual. The disassembly process is fairly involved as far as the order that you take things apart. It's time consuming but not that difficult, take your time.

Basically, you start in the front and work toward the back. They must come off in that order.

One thing important to note, is to take extreme care not to break the assembly tabs off the parts. Doesn't really matter on the old damaged ones but it does on the new ones. And, if you take off panels for service, you do not want to break off these tabs, so be careful. Pick up a set of plastic body removal tools to keep from scuffing the parts as they are designed specifically for disassembling plastic parts i.e. aut dashboards, etc. They are WELL worth it and cost minimal $$. I picked up a set for about $6.

Here's a link in the US to order parts:
http://www.powersportsplus.com/

Good luck! Drop me a note if you have questions.
snake

Post by snake »

Cheers for all the comments and suggestions guys.

Rebrab thanks for the break down in prices - similar to what I found online - but I must say I can't find many UK websites selling OEM parts for some reason (any recommendations from UK people?) To be honest it's working out cheaper to buy the parts in America and have them sent internationally (!) - which is reflected in how cheap your repair was C-Note. Shame everything is so expensive here. The plastic body removal tool is a good tip. I reckon I could manage, I took my old Nissan to pieces (and back together) using a trusty Haynes Manual. I assume the Honda service manual is along those lines...anywhere online it might magically appear...? ;)

For other people's reference, the colour code for the PCX red (sometimes referred to as candy rosy red) is R340C.

I think I'll sit on it for now, see if I can source any cheap panels from local dealers or ebay.

Thanks again :)
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You won't get cheap panels in the UK that colour because it's a new one.
Remember that when sourcing from outside the EU you will have to allow for taxation being applied by HMRC.
rebrab842
Year: 2011
Color: black

Post by rebrab842 »

I was looking at this site on e bay ,type in( bodywork fairing honda pcx 125 oem new ) a full set of panels for £175 plus £55 shipping and as mentioned above import tax i'm only guessing at £40. your colour isnt listed only black white gold and silver but you could opt for a complete colour change and sell youre undamaged panels to recoupe the cost, just depends on how attached to the red you are.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think the color you are looking for is Candy Rosy Red. Bikebandit.com has the parts in various colors. I have a 2013 pcx150 and the color matches from previous years, even though there has been speculation that it won't match. I had to replace one of our panels already. It is time consuming but can be done. Just go slowly and use the pages I provided above. Good luck. I wish the parts were available for you locally but I have heard from several people on the forum that they aren't easy to get in England for some reason. There are multiple websites in the USA that sell the parts at competitive prices.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
snake

Post by snake »

Good point gn re: tax. Thanks very much Mel46 and uploader - exactly what I needed.

Rebrab I'm afraid I am attached to red, went to some lengths to get a good one as I wanted it to match my cage and my pedal bike, I must get a photo of the red line up some time. I've been obsessed with red vehicles since about age 2. I wouldn't mind changing the colour scheme though if someone gave me something unique like classic racing livery...

Or one of those mad chrome jobs from power by pcx, which look amazing but must be a bugger to keep clean.
tildarama1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tildarama1 »

Mel46 wrote:I think the color you are looking for is Candy Rosy Red. Bikebandit.com has the parts in various colors.
I believe the UK red is called PEARL SIENA RED. Slightly darker than the candy rosy red (the reason I got white, didn't like the UK red).
snake

Post by snake »

Thanks tildarama, but probably a moot point now as I'll replace the panels and not bother with any paint. Reading your other thread - you and I did our CBT and got our PCXs on the exact same day. Hope yours is doing better than mine!