Bike Maintenance

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Bike Maintenance

Post by PKrellner »

I'm an old guy and I've either driven cars or bicycles in my lifetime. My first experience with a scooter or motorcycle has been with the Honda PCX that I recently purchased. I'm on this forum almost every day reading all the new posts as well as some of the more interesting older ones. I've noticed that a lot of the people posting on here tend to like to do a lot of their own maintenance. Some of what I've seen seems to be beyond my grasp over a simple oil change or air filter. Even some of the more detailed procedures lose me. I suppose if I were to get my hands dirty and try some of this I could save myself a lot in maintenance costs. I'm thinking that a lot of you ride scooters for economical reasons (they are relatively cheap and get excellent gas mileage) and it would follow that doing maintenance would save as well. My scooter is not my primary means of transportation so, I suppose if I screwed something up trying to do my own work I could always wait for help to fix what I did wrong. I guess I'm just trying to work up the nerve to start doing some of the easier stuff. Anybody else doubt their ability like I do?
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Bike Maintenance

Post by OriginalRocket »

I had never done a valve adjustment on an engine before. I read and followed the procedure listed here, wrote up a tool list, and purchased what I didn't have. Followed step by step, took me several hours, was extra carefully, laid each part out with its bolts and screws in correct order. Not a single problem. Done it twice now in the bike, gets easier every time.

You won't know until you try it.

Next up for me, tire replacements. Going to be done over the winter. 5 months from now. Keeping an eye out for tire change tool sales, and the tire sales.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

One small thing you could check periodically and lubricate if necessary -- the center stand. Its design is less than bulletproof and some people have reported it can easily seize from rust. Attempts to release it have sometimes resulted in a cracked and leaking crankcase.

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I was going to ask about preventative care on that centerstand. From what little I've gone through on this forum, this bit of engineering is the most suspect. Thanks for the tip.

And PK - start small. It seems to me that an oil change should be within pretty much everybody's reach. I may have the man do the first valve adjustment, but definitely plan on getting the plastic trim tools (6 bucks at Harbor Frieght.. not exactly a big investment) to go after the task myself as I get more experience with the machine.

Picking up scoot tomorrow...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

khaosaming, hi! Thanks for the tip and pic! Can you please point out to us or tell us where the lubing gets applied? And what type of lube? :D
Back to other maintenance, Not fearful of getting hands dirty, but a bit when it comes to breaking plastics and tabs. I've done okay so far (oil change, windscreen, brake light switch, mods). Still I keep tossing around inexpensive ways of raising the bike to get these awkward jobs done & save what's left of my back. I'll see what I do "as time goes by" (Tis a song, I do believe :D
PK, I understand. My advice? Stay tuned in... to the forum, like you've been doing. I think there's quite a few of us taking on repairs we never thought we'd attempt. Read up, get supplies, set up then dive in! Fix what you can. A bit of worry is okay, but hurting doing the job is not. That's the Time to get help! Cheers to gettin' er done!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

GeorgeSK, if I didn't say welcome earlier, I'm saying it :P Welcome! You must be very excited right about now....think this: Two wheelin' down the road! Let the countdown begin!! :P 8)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

WhiteNoise wrote:Can you please point out to us or tell us where the lubing gets applied? And what type of lube?
--------------
I guess any thin and penetrating oil will do (Sonax, WD40). If you are afraid it will dilute or dry the bearings, use a thicker oil spray that has a compound that evaporates (but the residue stays). Otherwise you will have to take it apart and use vaseline applied by hand which is the best thing to do with axles. Apply it in two points inside the hinges (one shown in the picture with the cotter pin).
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

GeorgeSK wrote:.... but definitely plan on getting the plastic trim tools (6 bucks at Harbor Frieght.. not exactly a big investment) to go after the task myself as I get more experience with the machine.
George ... I am not familiar with the "plastic trim tools" you are referring to. Can you post a link or a pic? I live in Thailand but get back to the US every year. If I can't find the tools here, I'll get them when on my next return trip later this year.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

kramnala58 wrote:I am not familiar with the "plastic trim tools"...
------------
Here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-au ... 67021.html
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

khaosaming wrote: Apply it in two points inside the hinges (one shown in the picture with the cotter pin).
You would think those are hinges, but they're not.
Part number 3 has a flat plate welded to it.
Looking at the top of this plate there's the pin for the spring and a hole which fits over a lug on the crankcase.
This arrangement holds Part number 3 in place so it does not rotate in the crankcase when the stand goes up and down.
To lubricate the stand properly you need to withdraw the pin, coat it with grease and put it back in.
If the pin is not too badly stuck you can get it out with the exhaust in place, but if its rusted up and needs knocked out with a drift, the exhaust has to come off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

^Thanks for the clarification. I was sure somebody would come out with correct information should I fail to do so. Thanks again Gn2.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It's a key area of maintenance and is probably the achilles heel of the PCX.
Well definitely two of them.
I might do a how-to on this one because getting the spring back on is either really easy or really difficult depending on whether you know a little trick with a crosshead screwdriver...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I broke my spring lubing it up last time, I rode with the stand bungee'd for 3 weeks. :/

Do the how-to if you get a chance, it's helpful. I had a hell of a time getting mine off, and I'm not fussing with it right now because it's still operating smoothly. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

If that center stand should freeze up, I'd spray those lube points with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a few minutes. PB Blaster has unfrozen a lot rusted stuff for me over the years. It could even conquer salt water corrosion on my sail boat.

Don
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Here's another photo of the centerstand from the other side.

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 wrote:It's a key area of maintenance and is probably the achilles heel of the PCX.
I might do a how-to on this one because getting the spring back on is either really easy or really difficult depending on whether you know a little trick with a crosshead screwdriver...
This center stand boog-a-boo talk has got my attention. So glad this was brought up..pointed out. Don't know about other peeps here but I'd appreciate a How To on this. If you have the time? Thanks, WN (o;
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

gn2 wrote:It's a key area of maintenance and is probably the achilles heel of the PCX.
Never heard them called cross head screwdrivers before. Most places I've been call them Phillips head.
ImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Phillips was the guy who invented the crosshead screw.
Not all crosshead screws are Phillips ones though. :geek:
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Ah okay.
ImageImage
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black