Idle stop worries

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Idle stop worries

Post by Scottish »

Several times now I've been at a set of lights and the idle stop has failed, it's over two years old now and this has happened 4 or 5 times..
today was the worst tho as the bike wouldnt start after the incident (normally it does) after 15 mins I came back and it started, however as my helmet was still in the top box i had to turn it off again and yep it didnt want to start again after that, pressing the starter caused the dash to turn off and on again...so after waiting an hour I finally managed to get it started (wearing my helmet this time) and was able to get home!

So i'm going to quit using the idle stop from now on, I'd rather know that I'm going to get away at a set of traffic lights instead of saving a teaspoonful of fuel every hundred miles.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Idle stop worries

Post by gn2 »

How often do you ride your scooter and does it get a good run or is it mainly city use?
Mine will be three in October, is approaching 16,000 miles and has never had any such problem although it spends most of its time between 55 and 60.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Hyadum

Post by Hyadum »

I think the battery is dead. They seem to have a better on the pcx 150, but nevertheless if you spend more time between stop lights that actually riding to charge it up, it will loose power.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Is it possible the sensor under the seat was messed up?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

give the plug a clean or change and give the battery a charge......see how you go :-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

I ride on average every second day, mostly city riding with the occasional long haul (100+ miles), I dont think its a seat sensor thing tho, I may be wrong on that but I dont think so...I'll try trigg123's idea, thanks for that!, and then just continue without idle stop until its time for a new battery.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Idle stop worries

Post by Alibally »

Bridge the wires for the switch at the front of the seat and try it. Also the side stand switch may also stop it starting , but if that was faulty the bike might cut out when riding it.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

You have just described the symptoms I had before my battery died.

Sorry for the bad news. I got mine replaced under warranty because the dealer accepted to replace it. Honda Spain had actually refused to do so. Now I don't use the idle stop any longer. The engine is quiet enough at traffic lights and I don't wanna chance another flat battery.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Does it go into idle stop mode with the orangie/yellow light on the dash blinking or do you not see the light. If you dont see the blinking light its possibly the seat pressure switch. Only time Ive had trouble starting is when it gets flooded. Just go through the flooded engine procedure of cranking at full throttle to sort that.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Its the battery..full stop! Idle stop will chew the battery in no time if using it in the city all the time...I just replaced mine with Shorai Lithium Ion battery that has 135cca power instead the Yuasa ytz7s 130cca. Shorai has another one for Pcx thats even more powerful at 210cca.....Also its cheaper than Yuasa by quite a bit.
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

I quit using the idle stop after my first day. It's too eerie sitting at a highway intersection with cars & trucks roaring past with no sound coming from the bike. It adds a level of stress (whether it will start) that I don't need. If I really want to save fuel & money I'll ride a bicycle!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i agree, its the battery. replace it ASAP before it leaves you stranded. i had to get a jump start twice before i figured that out. luckily here in the dense urban jungle there was a bike shop or car shop within 50 meters both times.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

My first tank of gas I ran the pcx without idle stop to get used to it. After that I used idlestop and once used to it after a couple of commutes, think its brilliant. Its so nice waiting at lights in tranquility and no vibrations it reduces stress ;)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Taz wrote:My first tank of gas I ran the pcx without idle stop to get used to it. After that I used idlestop and once used to it after a couple of commutes, think its brilliant. Its so nice waiting at lights in tranquility and no vibrations it reduces stress ;)
I agree that it is a nice feature of the PCX, but it looks like it still needs to be refined a bit more. If you remember my thread complaining about my dead battery, I had posted a link in which there were some explanations on how the idle stop system works. The stator charges the battery when idling, when decelerating and when running at constant speed and never under acceleration. If you do short commutes within the city as I do (usually 15 to 20 minutes of urban jungle in my case), there's not much of constant speed, there's quite a bit of braking and a lot of acceleration. The battery won't charge much. I have, therefore, decided to quit using the idle stop.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

is it easy to replace the battery yourself? or is it better to get a shop to do it?

Best price i could find was £30.36 with free delivery
http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/motorbike ... -2011.html
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Piece of piss to swap the battery, five minute job.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

For those of us without idlestop (who encounter LOOOONG red lights in our regular rabbit trails), the easy way to kill the engine is to discreetly lower the kickstand briefly. It’s the only way to stop the engine without turning off the lights; which is good to keep in mind when travelling in the evening. Just keep your thumb on the starter…

Not sure I would want to kill the engine at every stop, but you know where the long lights are, and you know the frustration of barely missing the green. So, for the occasional tedious wait, I take the liberty of sitting quietly.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Slightly off topic here, but a couple of people mentioned a seat sensor. I have a 2012 (red) model PCX. I have just done the valves, and therefor removed the seat and all the plastic, but didn't notice a seat sensor. Does my model have one, where is it and what is it for?
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If it had one you would have noticed two wires near the hinge which have to be disconnected to get the seat off.
I believe the switch was removed on newer models.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Scottish wrote:is it easy to replace the battery yourself?
--------------
Do it yourself. It's very easy.

1. Open the seat
2. Find the battery compartment hatch and release the plastic notch by pressing it
3. Remove the hatch
4. Disconnect and reconnect battery terminals in this order -+/+-
5. Release the rubber belt
6. Take out the battery (it's in a reclining position)

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.