The shakes

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

The shakes

Post by Urbanian »

The vibrations of the bike at idle seem much quieter if I’m holding the rear brake.

When holding the bike with the front brake only, or not holding the brake at all, engine vibrations shake the bike substantially more than when the rear brake is engaged.

Not a big deal, but wondering if anyone else noticed, and if so, knew why.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: The shakes

Post by kramnala58 »

Urbanian wrote: ... wondering if anyone else noticed ...
Sorry, I have a Thai bike and the idle stop really helps to get rid of the vibration. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I notice the same.

I added barend weights, all that did was make the weights rattle. :lol:

My best guess as to why the PCX vibrates at stop is because it's a single-piston bike. I've ridden some bigger single-piston bikes (usually call them thumpers), namely a Buell Blast, several KTMs, and a Harley once.. They all vibrate even worse than the PCX does. From my experience, some vtwins, all inline 4's, and all parallel twins are all much smoother because there's another piston offsetting the vibration of the first piston.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

V-twin vibration is largely dependent on the included angle.
A ninety degree angle gives perfect primary balance and can be smooth as silk.
Anything else and it shakes like a prehistoric tractor engine.
Honda V4s, BMW boxer twins are also seriously smooth and the Z1300 six is like a gas turbine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

BMW use lanchester balancer to smooth the engine vibration. See http://www.ashonbikes.com/bmw_engine_balancer
I've see it on car engines before and it works great, but its another thing to time up when rebuilding one.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:BMW use lanchester balancer to smooth the engine vibration. See http://www.ashonbikes.com/bmw_engine_balancer
I've see it on car engines before and it works great, but its another thing to time up when rebuilding one.

They don't use lanchester shafts
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Technically not. The F800 instead uses a third ‘slave’ conrod to drive a bobweight, but the results are the same. It's based on a similar principle of counterbalancing any vibration.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:Technically not. The F800 instead uses a third ‘slave’ conrod to drive a bobweight, but the results are the same. It's based on a similar principle of counterbalancing any vibration.

Not technically not, absolutely not. A lanchester balancer is a rotating balance shaft. Not in any way shape or form what the f800 uses.

Mind you I think BMW use balance shafts on the k series?
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

My shakes only when the brakes are held at the lights. When I've stopped and let go of the brakes, it idles very smoothly
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

SmellyTofu wrote:My shakes only when the brakes are held at the lights. When I've stopped and let go of the brakes, it idles very smoothly
I agree.

Mine idles very quietly, and the few vibrations I notice are located on the handlebars. If I hold the rear (or combined) brake, then the vibrations move to the seat, that is right to my back end.

I personally don't like it so I usually hold the front brake at traffic lights. But who knows, there's a chance that someone around here likes and actually enjoys that kind of vibrations in their "rear" :lol: .
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

Mine have the same symptoms. hen no brake is applied it will shake more than when the brake applied. But i only noticed it after reeding this post. i was never aware before of this issue.