PCX Pricing

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ghong14

PCX Pricing

Post by ghong14 »

I have had my eyes on the PCX for a few months now. I recently moved to San Francisco and do not own a car. I think this little motor scooter can give me just what I am looking for. Specifically, I wanted to talk about the pricing of the bike. I know the MSRP is $3,499. However, are there any other costs that are usually associated such as transportation and dealers fees? Has anyone gotten an deal on the item that was less than the MSRP price?

Thanks for your input,

GHong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: PCX Pricing

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know of a way to get around the added costs that come with the scooter, such as assembly costs. Ours came in a crate and the dealer had to assemble it before we could take it. They also did the test ride and fluids. We had transportation costs also. I don't know about how much they would be for you since the ship probably comes into San Fran or some other West Coast port. Do expect to pay taxes. Everyone wants their taxes. I have heard of some on this forum who got out the door without most of those costs, but that is not the norm. I think our cost came to around $4400 out the door. Still, that isn't bad for such a great little scooter. Once it is broken in it can keep up with freeway traffic, though it is light, which means trucks can cause you some concern.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I got my 125 used for 2500 with only 68 miles
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Used is the way to go now. I bought mine new, I should have waited and gotten it used, I would have saved at least $1000.

Here's a relevant thread: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=363
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Yep old owner spent 4400
ImageImage
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

My dealer wanted $3784 plus documentation fees of $127.00

I put him against four other local dealers and got him down to 3449.00 out the door.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

In CA you can add another $1000 to the $3499 out the door :x :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I was able to jump on this deal luckily. My college's comptroller was selling it and I think when she found out I start there in the fall in electrical engineering she dropped the price down. Even included the extended warranty
ImageImage
ghong14

Post by ghong14 »

The only used PCX I have seen is the 125 CC here in San Francisco. I am pretty sure 25CC difference will not a make a difference for me. However, I think CA law is that it needs to be a 150 CC or above to go on the highway. I want to take my bike across the bridge sometimes so might just have to get the 150 CC. I addition, should I try to go to a Authorized Honda Dealership here in SF or is anyone fine. Any specific recommendations?

THANKS!!!!
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

I paid the MSRP $3449 plus $79 admin fee for a total $3528 OTD. Although some dealers collect taxes and some don't, the dealer has no control over taxes (which vary wildly from state to state) and, therefore, shouldn't be included in the OTD price.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

ghong14 wrote:The only used PCX I have seen is the 125 CC here in San Francisco. I am pretty sure 25CC difference will not a make a difference for me. However, I think CA law is that it needs to be a 150 CC or above to go on the highway. I want to take my bike across the bridge sometimes so might just have to get the 150 CC. I addition, should I try to go to a Authorized Honda Dealership here in SF or is anyone fine. Any specific recommendations?

THANKS!!!!
It pays to put dealer against dealer and have quotes ready when going to negotiate for the sale. Here in South Dakota the farthest dealer from me was only 70 miles. The dealer in Sioux Falls (where I live) was the highest. After collecting the quotes and having them in writing they finally caved a bit. Though I did have to hear about it through much of the paperwork process. "You are getting one heck of a deal" "We arent making any money on this deal, but becuase it is so late in the season we want to get the bike sold" They even showed me some "confidential" report that shows there is no rebates from Honda on the PCX. Now if it showed cost that would be one thing, but a rebate sheet? ...and they made a big deal that I was not supposed to see it.

Bottom line, dont fall in to thier traps, make your offer based on the quotes you recieved and how much you are willing to part with. If they wont come down entertain another dealership or ask them to throw in the service plan for free(if you can take it back there easily enough when maintenance is due. Dont let them make you feel bad for wanting to pay MSRP for your bike.

Remember that dealerships like to charge a "doc fee" for handling paperwork and so forth. That fee can range from 30 to 150 dollars. Tax, Title, and license are your responsibility, check your local laws in reguards to cost of tax, license fee and title transfer fee.
ghong14

Post by ghong14 »

Has anyone been able to get a PCX for MSRP in Northern CA? I probably need to be patient with this and wait until they have a sales or something. Honestly, ditching another 1K to the dealer makes it very distasteful. ADDITIONALLY, What does everyone think about USED PCX. I heard depending on the age of the bike 1000 miles per year is pretty reasonable. I have been seen some used PCX for $3000 with 2000 miles on it. What do you think?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As far as the 150cc scooter vs the 125cc, I think they are both great scooters. We bought the 150cc because this is the first year that it has been California freeway certified . With that said, we haven't taken it on the freeway MUCH but we HAVE taken on the freeway, and it holds up quite well. Even though it is light in weight it has one heck of an engine. Depending on a lot of factors, we have gotten it up to between 75 and 80. Most of the time it would top out at 75. Still, that should be quite adequate. We spend 95% of our time on side roads because that is where the views are and the fun. Since the 150 just came out in 2013 I think you will have a hard time finding a used one until the Forza comes out, which should have happened already but Honda keeps pushing the date on it. It is already out over seas.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ghong14

Post by ghong14 »

I would be totally happy to purchase on for $3500 OTD. Anyone able to do it for that price in SF area? Any specific dealers recommended?
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

EVERY bike comes to the dealer in a crate. The MSRP is the price the manufacturer sets, including what it takes to set up the bike. If people pay for a set-up charge, they are the ones being set-up. After telling one dealer I wasn't there to play games, they hit me at 40% over MSRP per bike for a pair of them... and then acted surprised when we walked out. They called back later, lowing the price over $500 per bike.

"I told you I wasn't going to play games. You played games. I would rather NOT have the scoots than buy them from you at ANY price." If they don't hear that from enough people, they will continue to play the games.

There are dealers out there who are fair. I dealt with Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ, and there were none of the BS add-ons. I recently got an e-mail from them, though, stating that they are "under new management." I don't know what that means in terms of them continuing to be fair.

The worst (and they are the ones mentioned in the first paragraph) is a group of multi-brand stores in Arizona, Nevada, and Florida who go by the initials of Ride Now. Oops.

The dealers have no control over tax, title, and license. BUT, they can jack up the price by adding on whatever else they want... that doesn't mean you should pay it. In other industries, if businesses get together and artificially inflate the price of a product, it is called PRICE FIXING. The auto industry is federally regulated - they have to show a manufacturer's sticker price on a new car. Any additional "add-ons" get added with a second sticker. THAT would be the BS stuff. It's the same with a bike... except it isn't federally legislated. A motorcycle/scooter dealer can tell you any made up price they want... BUT, there is a reason Honda publishes the MSRP.

When I read "the dealers around here all have the add-ons" it makes me want to contact whatever Consumer Protection Agency there is in that state. I believe dealers should make a fair profit on their product... THAT'S why the manufacturer sets an MSRP. Manufacturer's Suggested RETAIL Price. Retail. That means a fair profit.

When you go to the grocery store, you don't pay a separate delivery charge or shelf stocking fee for each item in the store. You sure as hell don't pay MORE than the price stamped by the manufacturer on a bag of chips. That price is the RETAIL price, and includes what it takes to get it there and shelf it.

Think I'm off base on this? Go to a car dealer and see if the delivery charge is listed above and beyond the sticker price (also known as the MSRP). Every car that comes in has to be prepped by the dealer... is there a "prep fee" above and beyond the sticker price? Oh, some dealers will add on the "fabric protection package", a "paint enhancement package", and other made up crap, but that HAS to be listed beyond the MSRP.

You have to decide if you are willing to pay more than MSRP to get the bike you want. Or travel to a dealer who is being fair. I understand that there are circumstances where the cost of travel outweighs the over-priced, but closer, dealer.
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
ghong14

Post by ghong14 »

Since I am not in a hurry to get the bike. I think it is best that I not entertain anything above the MSRP. Anyone else have any experience or luck getting the PCX for the MSRP?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I haven't ever heard of a new one going for the MSRP. The markup on the bike is less than the amount of tax you have to pay on the bike new, so no matter what you'll be out the door over MSRP.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

maddiedog wrote:I haven't ever heard of a new one going for the MSRP. The markup on the bike is less than the amount of tax you have to pay on the bike new, so no matter what you'll be out the door over MSRP.
At Full MSRP there is only $138 profit for a Honda Dealer....no room to do anything..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

skuuter wrote:
maddiedog wrote:I haven't ever heard of a new one going for the MSRP. The markup on the bike is less than the amount of tax you have to pay on the bike new, so no matter what you'll be out the door over MSRP.
At Full MSRP there is only $138 profit for a Honda Dealer....no room to do anything..... ;)

Ok so I am curious, how do you know how much a dealer pays for the PCX ? I tried really hard to figure this out even with the help of my bank (they can do it on cars but scooters are tough)

http://www.midamericamotoplex.com/2013H ... 5006924#/0

I can bring in my invoice and post it here if it really helps anyone. Not to mention the dealers in Marshall MN, Sheldon IA, and Madison SD all quoted me $3399.00 . MN dealer collects 7% sales tax plus doc fees. Sheldon IA was the best with $3429.00 out the door including the doc fee. Madison SD was next with 3399.00 but the doc fee was 149.00

I stayed in Sioux Falls with my dealer who was at $3784.99 and then dropped to MSRP $3449.00. They also wanted me to pay for the freight on top of the price of the PCX.
The bike was on the show room floor, I did not special order it so I told them no way on the freight.

I dont include tax title or license in the out the door price as each state is different. Here in SD we pay 3% tax, license is $27.00 and title transfer is $12.00

Here in SD (out in the sticks - midwest US) things are sometimes cheaper then the coasts for sure, then again so are our wages...
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

dasshreddar wrote:In CA you can add another $1000 to the $3499 out the door :x :(
that's about what I paid, in CA