Pcx 150 drain bolt

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mrmusk

Pcx 150 drain bolt

Post by Mrmusk »

Hi there. I just bought a new pcx150 3 weeks ago and just done my first engine oil change at 600km at a local shop dealer last friday.

I'm currently using motul 300v engine oil. Eversince the oil change, i notice/feel there are some oil residue on the drain bolt even after i wipe it off. It's not that bad of a leak cause it doesnt really stain the floor that i parked at. But it really starts to worries me.

Anyone have any simillar experience? Issit normal? Prolly going back to the local dealer to have it checked, but some advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm starting to love this ride and I really hope its nothing much of a problem.

Thanks!
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Pcx 150 drain bolt

Post by Pcxdemon »

No.12 socket, small extension and ratchet will fix that, just tighten it bit more.
Hyadum

Post by Hyadum »

You should not use 300V oil. Honda recommends 10W 30 mineral or semi-synthetic oil. It's not a question of which oil is better, but what oil is specifically designed for this engine. I'd suggest changing it again under warranty, if the dealer suggested this oil.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

There is usually a sealing ring, made of copper that seals the drain plug. If when originally built someone tightened that plug so much as to completely flatten that ring it could seep oil after being removed and reinstalled. The good news is that your Honda dealership should have one and it shouldnt cost more then a dollar.

To replace the ring would involve draining the oil again. If you use something clean to catch the oil you should be able to reuse it. Just make sure there are no contaminents in it.
Carpathian hawk

Post by Carpathian hawk »

Me too! Yes, I think as the other that said:

1)The Motul 300v is one of the best oil; but not recommended for PCX at the start of the life. Plese take into considerations:

a)Full synthetic oil used during breaking-in procedure will produce "glazing" on the surface of the cilinder, Usually, full sinthetic oil is not recommended to be used before 5000-8000 km. Use mineral or semi-sintetic (blended) oils.

b)Aparently 5W-60 is better than 10w-30, yes?....YES!....but keeping records of your fuel consumption you will see how your engine drink more gas.

2)I think that for minimum 4000 km is better to stay with Honda HP4 M 10w-30 JASO MB. If it will not be available I am prepared to use Motul 5100 10w-30 semisynthetic.

All is only my opinions, right or wrong, do not consider as "The Final Truth".
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150 red, 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 red.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:No.12 socket,small extension and ratchet will fix that,just tighten it bit more..
Errr, no
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Carpathian hawk wrote:Me too! Yes, I think as the other that said:

1)The Motul 300v is one of the best oil; but not recommended for PCX at the start of the life. Plese take into considerations:

a)Full synthetic oil used during breaking-in procedure will produce "glazing" on the surface of the cilinder, Usually, full sinthetic oil is not recommended to be used before 5000-8000 km. Use mineral or semi-sintetic (blended) oils.

b)Aparently 5W-60 is better than 10w-30, yes?....YES!....but keeping records of your fuel consumption you will see how your engine drink more gas.

2)I think that for minimum 4000 km is better to stay with Honda HP4 M 10w-30 JASO MB. If it will not be available I am prepared to use Motul 5100 10w-30 semisynthetic.

You're an idiot.

Sorry, but I have to say that. Your post is wrong in EVERY way and will confuse other readers.

1a. Synthetic is NEEDED per Honda. The PCX is built to VERY tight tolerances to get the efficiency it does, and a non-synthetic will definitely cause excess wear and may gunk up your engine. Semi-synthetic is ok, but full synthetic is best. The brand doesn't matter at all, just as long as it is not "Resource conserving" on the label on the back. You do not need motorcycle-specific oil either, because the PCX has a dry clutch.

1b. NO IT IS NOT. 5w60 IS NOT OKAY. You will DESTROY your engine. Seriously. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING BUT 10w30 or 10w40 in your PCX.. 5w30 or 5w40 are also fine.

2. Ok, but that contradicts the advice you just said. Part 2 is the only sane part of your post.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

....I write up Scooter Oil recommendations...
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Carpathian hawk

Post by Carpathian hawk »

maddiedog wrote:

You're an idiot.

Sorry, but I have to say that. Your post is wrong in EVERY way and will confuse other readers.

1a. Synthetic is NEEDED per Honda. The PCX is built to VERY tight tolerances to get the efficiency it does, and a non-synthetic will definitely cause excess wear and may gunk up your engine. Semi-synthetic is ok, but full synthetic is best. The brand doesn't matter at all, just as long as it is not "Resource conserving" on the label on the back. You do not need motorcycle-specific oil either, because the PCX has a dry clutch.

1b. NO IT IS NOT. 5w60 IS NOT OKAY. You will DESTROY your engine. Seriously. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING BUT 10w30 or 10w40 in your PCX.. 5w30 or 5w40 are also fine.

2. Ok, but that contradicts the advice you just said. Part 2 is the only sane part of your post.
I guess you are right(I am an idiot)...because:

1)I have a lot of resources for my documentations; for sure they were wrote by orher idiots, so I took for free from them; I am guilty because I thrust them, (European busters) instead of American Angels. The Europe was cradle of civilization, but now it is impoverished.

2)I can't realise how wrong my parents educated me, that I can't be rude with the other, if they call me names. I know this is "the freedom of the internet". It is their problem. It is important how you are, not how someone said you are.

3)I am expressed ONLY MY OPINIONS, (as I sad at the end of my post); the other readers must think and analise if I am right or wrong, and discuss the subject. WITH ARGUMENTS. Nobody can't be radical if he does not have a Diploma of Tribology Engineering Master of Science of a University. Here we discuss by ear what we heared or readed...it is better than nothing, sometimes, someones, will appear with the correct informations.

4)Just I said what I will do with my PCX; I will respect the Operating manual of Honda PCX150; I will use exactly the oil recommended. (10w-30, JASO T903 MB, API SJ). Until the engine will be completly matured. (4000-5000 km). Obs: all the forms in the worlwide "the motor oil" is discussed with vivacity. With arguments, not rudeness!

5)Why the word "Aparently" is not understand by the americans? I put it into my text and I saw was neglected. I know that the American Language is different than English.
your word "gunk" can't be find in English dictionnare!!! What is it?

6)My post was intended to be an occasions of discussins, a change of opinions, a change of experience; as I said, I will do exactly as I said; it is my PCX and if I am wrong, I will assumed it; I will survey the PCX parameters (mileage, oil consumption, the speed & accelerations) and I will keep informed the owners of PCX with result, to compare with their experiences. The idea is to be usefull with generosity to the others!
Now I have ODO=200 km and mileage 90...(2,64 L/100 km).

So, if someone took as good my personal opinions, please receive my appologies and try to forget all I posted. Make your personal opinions, as I do! If I am wrong, I will open my pocket for repair my engine. That is fair! But I will share the experience!

Also, please excuse my poor English langage; I am best in my French language because during gymnasium, English teacher was an old insipid man, and French teacher was a very beautiful busty young lady; all the boys tried to learn very much to be noted by the beauty...

So I hope all readers will be happy, and received my appologise!
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150 red, 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 red.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:No.12 socket,small extension and ratchet will fix that,just tighten it bit more..
Errr, no
Errr yep! Its metric no.12. What size is your drain bolt? :roll:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I don't think it was the size of the bolt the comment was criticising, it was the method of stopping the leak. It's probably better to replace the washer that just over tighten it as this may damage the threads in the casing.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Alibally wrote:I don't think it was the size of the bolt the comment was criticising, it was the method of stopping the leak. It's probably better to replace the washer that just over tighten it as this may damage the threads in the casing.
Im still with same bolt and washer after 10 oil changes and 20000km...Once i had a similar oil drip (very small) due to one time not tightening the bolt just that bit enough...was easily fixed,no need to replace the washer.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Alibally wrote:I don't think it was the size of the bolt the comment was criticising, it was the method of stopping the leak. It's probably better to replace the washer that just over tighten it as this may damage the threads in the casing.
Im still with same bolt and washer after 10 oil changes and 20000km...Once i had a similar oil drip (very small) due to one time not tightening the bolt just that bit enough...was easily fixed,no need to replace the washer.
Fair comment. Some people may be a bit more heavy handed with the spanner though. If anyone's not sure the bolt should be torqued to 24nm or 18lbf ft
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The bolt should be torqued enough to keep the oil in... :D
I used to have a torque wrench.
After a while I got bored with it and now it only ever gets used for extra leverage undoing stubborn bolts
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The bolt should be torqued enough to keep the oil in... :D
I used to have a torque wrench.
After a while I got bored with it and now it only ever gets used for extra leverage undoing stubborn bolts
Make your mind up, have you or haven't you got a torque wrench....?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:

You're an idiot.

Not your finest post
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Make your mind up, have you or haven't you got a torque wrench....?
I'll need to go and have a look...
Not sure why I wrote that, what I meant to say was that I used to use it as a torque wrench.
I suppose I don't consider it to be a torque wrench anymore, just a big levery thing.
Hope that clears it up.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Carpathian hawk -- I apologize if my tone on my response in this thread was inappropriate. You are entitled to your opinion.

My response should have been --

Your opinion is one that is damaging to your bike, and could be misleading to inexperienced users.

You should only put in all-synthetic 10w40 or 10w30 in your PCX, which is called for by Honda. In addition, the oil should not be "Resource Conserving" -- it should be standard oil. Running an oil as thick as 5w60 could bog your engine down and potentially destroy it. It will at least result in severely reduced fuel economy. If you want to run other weights, do so at your own risk.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

AFAIK Honda don't specify fully synthetic.
No mention of it in my user manual anyway :?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

The stock oil is a synthetic blend, it recommends that oil or equivalent.