Convincing my mom

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ryanday2

Convincing my mom

Post by ryanday2 »

So basically, these past few months I have researched A LOT about scooters and motorcycles and I have come to the conclusion that the Honda PCX is the scooter for me. I have watched and read everything on scooter safety and how to ride, and counter-steer, and all of that good stuff.
Well, I asked my dad, who doesn't live with my mom and I, if he would help me buy a new Honda PCX 150 when the time comes (probably next May). He just asked me a couple of questions like, "Are you sure? You are going to freeze your butt off!" and I easily shot down all of his contradictions that he gave me due to all of my research. Lastly he told me a story about how a lady hit him backing out of her driveway, and he wanted me to be safe, but he did say he would help me make a down payment on it.
Now that I have his support, the only problem now is that my mother refuses to give in due to the safety issue. I have written her two 4 paged letters telling her all of the things that I promise to do to minimize my risk factor, and she still said no. Today I made a nine paged write-up about motorcycles and cars, and gave her some statistics. Today was a rough day for her at work, so she said she would read it later.
I have made a little bit of progress though, she is going to let me take the motorcycle permit and car permit tests when November comes around so I am thankful for that.

Does anyone have any other ideas or information that could help me get a yes from her?

I am not asking her for any money, just her blessing. I plan to get a job to pay off the rest of the scooter, and cover all of it's costs including insurance.

Thanks
"I'm very comfortable in my skin."
- Celine Dion
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Convincing my mom

Post by gn2 »

I think we've seen this one before, it goes like this:
How old are you?
You're an adult now, you don't need her blessing
But she supports me
Well its her rules then
But I wanna scooter, and mommy says no, sob sob boohoo
Well start behaving like an adult, move out and support yourself then you can have one
But I can't afford to do that
Welcome to the real world son
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

gn2 wrote:I think we've seen this one before, it goes like this:
How old are you?
You're an adult now, you don't need her blessing
But she supports me
Well its her rules then
But I wanna scooter, and mommy says no, sob sob boohoo
Well start behaving like an adult, move out and support yourself then you can have one
But I can't afford to do that
Welcome to the real world son
I am fifteen, about to get my permit, like I said.
- Celine Dion
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

She has your safety in mind. And, she has a point. I'm assuming "next May" means that is the time you will be old enough to get your license. Statistically, you are more likely to be involved in an accident than almost anyone else.

I bought my daughter her first motorcycle when she was 9 years old. The grandparents on both sides had fits. My wife and I both ride, so we knew how to teach her in a safe manner. Key word: safe.

If you want to convince your Mother that you'll be safe, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course... pay for it yourself. That will show her you intend to learn properly and BE safe.

That may still not be enough to convince her, and you will only understand that when you become a parent.

I got my first motorcycle when I was 14 years old. I had a job, I used my own money. My Mother said to me, "If you come home with a motorcycle, you cannot live in this house!"

That didn't leave a lot of room for discussion... but I came home with a motorcycle. She didn't kick me out of the house. But, she wasn't happy. For a very long time. She eventually came around. I don't think anyone here could say whether your Mother will come around, though.

Writing letters doesn't show that you will be safe (her concern). It shows that you are trying to be persuasive. When you understand the difference, you may sway her. Take the course. PROVE that you are willing to put the effort into being a safe rider.

Then, BE a safe rider. Don't make me pull out the statistics again.

Good luck,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

A PCX is an urban commuter scooter, is that really what you want as a first bike? I got a summer job at 16 bicycling in each day and saved money and bought an old 2nd hand CG125. You can learn using gears then and learn how to maintain a bike which is easier when you don't have fairings to take off. And if you drop it, often its just blinker covers to replace instead of expensive pcx panels. I'm not saying get a CG as there will be plenty of other cheap 2nd hand bikes around.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

As many, many miles as I have ridden on Motorcycles and Scooters in my Lifetime, They have all been done after age "18". My Parents wouldn't let me have a Motorcycle. They ran/owned an Auto Salvage Yard, Wrecker Service, and Repair Shop. They were "Car People". I began racing Karts at age "8", and my first Car at "16" was a Hot Rod 57 Chevy 2-Dr HT Bel-Aire with a Built 3-2bbl 327, 4-Speed, 4:11 Posi Rearend, etc. Still no Motorcycle because my Dad had worked several terrible Teen Motorcycle Wrecks over the years. I bought my First Motorcycle 3 weeks after my 18th Birthday. I had rented my own House, still in College, working at the Family Business, and a Motorcycle Shop assembling New Bikes at night. School, Working 2 Jobs took 19+ hours of each day, leaving me 5 per day to eat, sleep, and study. Finally got into Stock Car Racing, quit College after 2 years, still rode Motorcycles and later, Scooters.

Was it a "good thing" waiting until "18", in my case "yes"...I know how I drove my first Car and approached most Everything else in my Life at earier ages. I bought All 3 of my Children Dirt Bikes at early ages, but didn't allow Them on the road, telling Them it will be Your decision at "18" if You want to ride Road Bikes. None of Them have. My middle one is heavy into Bicycles (I owned a Bicycle Shop also for 9 years), but no Motorcycles to this day. You may be responsible enough to own and ride a PCX, and I hope You are if You get one, but I know I wasn't at that age. I fully understand Your Mom's apprehensions about You getting one. If You do, by all means take a Safety Course, wear Good Safety Gear, and ALWAYS pay attention to everything going on around You on EVERY Ride. Good Luck on the purchase, and only YOUR Household can make this Decision. If You get a PCX, post it here and become a "Regular" here, it will be to Your Benefit..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

We let our son get a 49cc scooter at age 15, no license or insurance required. He used it to go back and forth to work and school. Once he turned 16, he decided he wanted a car, not a bike. As a mom, I would not have let him buy a motorcycle or scooter capable of going over 25 mph when he was that age.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Moms are a tough sell. I had a moped when I was 15 & that was after a year of begging. I was working part time at an ice cream stand & it helping me get back and forth to work etc. the top speed was only 25 mph. The PCX will reach 70.
My advice is to take the MSF course like mentioned & start out on a small low speed scoot to earn trust.
I got back on two wheels again 4 years ago with my first scoot, a small Yamaha Vino 125. My Mom was scared to death & I'm 48 years old. She is just now not worrying every time she sees a motorcycle crash on the news that it isn't me. Good luck to you.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Always a blessing for the sanctimonious is this type of thread

Smoke crack in the house and get a whore in twice a week I say

Mummy will never notice the scooter then
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Back in the 70s I was still at home and 20 years old. I had my car licence but began getting interested in bikes (mostly through watching bike racing on TV) There was no peer-pressure as none of my mates had bikes or were interested in getting one. It was just me. But, like you, my mother didn't approve. 'There'll be no motorcycles coming to this house' was the common response, even though my dad had ridden various BSA 'combos' during their courting days and later after I was born.
But I kept on and eventually just went out and bought a brand-new Kawasaki KH250. Mum wasn't best pleased but soon saw that I was riding safe and taking pride in the ownership of a brilliant little bike. I convinced her that I could easily have bought a clapped-out Morris Mini or Austin 1100 for the same money and totalled it on my first trip, but bikes would give me a sense of my own mortality, and I've always tried to ride safe....I just don't take risks. Never have.
I think your mum will come round if you can show her your a safety-aware rider.
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

ryanday2 wrote:I am fifteen, about to get my permit, like I said.
Well start to behave like a grown up and stop trying to play your parents off against each other.
You live under your mother's roof for now so give her the respect she is due and just accept her decisions like a brave little soldier.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

Thanks for the stories and help everyone. So, the MSF course... do they supply you a motorcycle or scooter? and are they automatic? and how much does the class usually run? Thanks!
- Celine Dion
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Theboybilly wrote:Back in the 70s I was still at home and 20 years old. I had my car licence but began getting interested in bikes (mostly through watching bike racing on TV) There was no peer-pressure as none of my mates had bikes or were interested in getting one. It was just me. But, like you, my mother didn't approve. 'There'll be no motorcycles coming to this house' was the common response, even though my dad had ridden various BSA 'combos' during their courting days and later after I was born.
But I kept on and eventually just went out and bought a brand-new Kawasaki KH250. Mum wasn't best pleased but soon saw that I was riding safe and taking pride in the ownership of a brilliant little bike. I convinced her that I could easily have bought a clapped-out Morris Mini or Austin 1100 for the same money and totalled it on my first trip, but bikes would give me a sense of my own mortality, and I've always tried to ride safe....I just don't take risks. Never have.
I think your mum will come round if you can show her your a safety-aware rider.

Hope it was green with the yellow stripe
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Well start to behave like a grown up and stop trying to play your parents off against each other.
You live under your mother's roof for now so give her the respect she is due and just accept her decisions like a brave little soldier.

Do you have kids?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:I think we've seen this one before, it goes like this: ....
Exactly what I was thinking .... and didn't that one get shut down ... just saying. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

ryanday2 wrote:Thanks for the stories and help everyone. So, the MSF course... do they supply you a motorcycle or scooter? and are they automatic? and how much does the class usually run? Thanks!
Welcome to the forums! Generally the intro classes provided by the MSF are on Honda Nighthawks that are provided for you. The course usually runs around $250. You should google MSF, find one in your area, and look at their site for more information.

We've had another person come in here with a similar situation to yours and post similar questions. It didn't really go anywhere, and did nothing to contribute to this forum content-wise. This is an adult forum, per the rules: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7, specifically:
Maddiedog wrote:This forum is designed to facilitate civil discussion among adults about scooters, specifically focusing around the Honda PCX.

You're welcome to keep posting, asking questions about the PCX, and learning. I greatly encourage you to do so. But this is NOT a place to go to get advise about convincing your parents to get you a scooter. You will have to figure that out on your own, without the advise of strangers on the internet. I insist you act adult-like as well -- I don't want to be able to tell I'm talking to a 15-year old. ;)

I'll keep this thread unlocked, assuming it is going to continue with us discussing safety and things you should do and learn as a new rider. You're making a good decision by wanting to take the MSF course first. I heavily encourage you to do so before deciding whether or not you want to buy a PCX. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

The cost of the MSF course can vary quite a bit. I paid $150. I had my PCX at the time and used it for the course. They did provide motorcycles (no scooters) and were a variety of makes/models. As motorcycles, they were not automatic and a good part of the class involved clutch and shift control. Otherwise, the course was great and I came away a much more confident rider. The other responses regarding convincing your parents are correct. That's a totally personal thing you have to resolve with them. They are looking out for your well being and you should keep that in mind.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

In Ohio, it was only 30.00 for the course & the bikes were Honda Rebels & Suzuki TU250s, both small with low seat heights & lightweight. Passing the course also reduces your insurance, which might be high with a 16 year old on a 70 mph bike. It also lets you experience riding a motorcycle to see if it is really what you want to do.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

PKrellner wrote:The cost of the MSF course can vary quite a bit. I paid $150. I had my PCX at the time and used it for the course. They did provide motorcycles (no scooters) and were a variety of makes/models. As motorcycles, they were not automatic and a good part of the class involved clutch and shift control. Otherwise, the course was great and I came away a much more confident rider. The other responses regarding convincing your parents are correct. That's a totally personal thing you have to resolve with them. They are looking out for your well being and you should keep that in mind.
Thanks!
- Celine Dion
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:

Do you have kids?
Yes.
Do you?