Best Time to Buy?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jonestownpadude

Best Time to Buy?

Post by jonestownpadude »

Hi - I've been given the green light from my wife and am looking to buy a PCX 150! However, I'm in no rush. I currently have a 2006 Buddy 125 Scoot which works fine and I would like to sell it first anyway. So my question is: when is the best time to buy? At the end of the model year (and when exactly is that anyway?); over the winter perhaps? I'm not looking for a huge discount, but would like to get a $ off retail. I have 3 - 4 dealers in the area which I can negotiate with.

Looking forward to owning a PCX 150! Thank you!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Best Time to Buy?

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome, I don't know when or if there is a 14 PCX coming out.
It probably depends what state your in, If your in CA good luck getting much of or any discount.
You'll love your PCX, should be a great upgrade from your Buddy. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No real model year, its the same machine from one year to the next.
Over here the best time to buy is in the deep midwinter when sales are very slow.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Not a new PCX, but I'm thinking of trading up to a Forza next year. I'm going to keep my powder dry until the spring in case this new model has any recalls etc. Plus I don't want to leave a brand-new machine outside in winter before it's got some miles under it's belt.
(Have you tried one yet Gn2? I sat on one last week and was most impressed)
I don't think the PCX will be changing drastically for sometime....maybe cosmetic or LED tails lights, something like that to freshen it up. It's a great machine just as it is.
Image[/URL
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I talked to my dealer when I bought mine and he said that there wasn't a huge mark up on the scooters here in the US. I was able to get him to knock off about $100. They make all their money off the bigger bikes. That's why when I first walked in there they were trying to get my husband to buy a bike versus selling me the scooter. I kinda of got pissed off because I told them I was there to buy a scooter. All they wanted to do was talk bikes with my husband. I had to draw their attention to the fact I was there for a scooter and I had to ask the questions just to get the information I needed. Even my husband didn't realize it until I pointed out to him when we walked out of there.
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

jonestownpadude wrote:Hi - I've been given the green light from my wife and am looking to buy a PCX 150! However, I'm in no rush. I currently have a 2006 Buddy 125 Scoot which works fine and I would like to sell it first anyway. So my question is: when is the best time to buy? At the end of the model year (and when exactly is that anyway?); over the winter perhaps? I'm not looking for a huge discount, but would like to get a $ off retail. I have 3 - 4 dealers in the area which I can negotiate with.

Looking forward to owning a PCX 150! Thank you!
What country are you in?

Unless AHM comes up with (dealer) cash incentives to clear out left overs, the most your going to see off MSRP is a hundred or two.
You'll see more variation in setup and prep and handling crap from dealer to dealer, than actual discount.
Best to start pestering all your local dealers via email for some OTD quotes.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

katschamne wrote:Even my husband didn't realize it until I pointed out to him when we walked out of there.
That's men for you, useless most of the time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Here in the USA, there is only a $138 profit on a PCX150 at Full MSRP..."unless"...Honda gives the particular Dealer a "Special Dealer Incentive", and/or lets Them apply "Honda Bucks" to it...pretty slim margins, and why most Dealers try to steer You away from the Scooters and over to a Larger Motorcycle that has a lot broader profit margin, and almost guaranteed incentives of some kind attached to it..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Honda are doing £100 cash back on a pcx125 in the uk at the moment. 3 years finance at 4.9%. They were doing it a 0% when I got mine but I think the popularity over here means they don't have to do that now.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

I'd suggest that you go towards the end of the month or quarter. The bean counters gauge sales on "units per month" and if a dealer is close to an incentive, they may be more flexible as that time frame closes in. Otherwise, the best time to buy is right now, so you can get out there and be enjoying the scoot! 8)
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
jonestownpadude

Post by jonestownpadude »

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm in the US - Pennsylvania.. I'll start by emailing the dealers in my area for an OTD price and go from there. Even if I only save $100 - that would still be something... Looking forward to enjoying the PCX!
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

skuuter wrote:Here in the USA, there is only a $138 profit on a PCX150 at Full MSRP..."unless"...Honda gives the particular Dealer a "Special Dealer Incentive", and/or lets Them apply "Honda Bucks" to it...pretty slim margins, and why most Dealers try to steer You away from the Scooters and over to a Larger Motorcycle that has a lot broader profit margin, and almost guaranteed incentives of some kind attached to it..... ;)
I guess the dealer I bought mine from about lost money at $138 profit. I paid $3600 OTD.
2013 Honda PCX 150
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Best Time to Buy?

Post by strkngfang »

jlhog wrote:
skuuter wrote:Here in the USA, there is only a $138 profit on a PCX150 at Full MSRP..."unless"...Honda gives the particular Dealer a "Special Dealer Incentive", and/or lets Them apply "Honda Bucks" to it...pretty slim margins, and why most Dealers try to steer You away from the Scooters and over to a Larger Motorcycle that has a lot broader profit margin, and almost guaranteed incentives of some kind attached to it..... ;)
I guess the dealer I bought mine from about lost money at $138 profit. I paid $3600 OTD.
We did pay the full 3449 for my wife's 150 but we got my new left over 125 for 2900, so not too shabby.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

jlhog wrote:
Hmmm....I'll say, unless They had worked out something really special with Honda (Incentives/Honda Bucks, etc.)...maybe just lose some, but clean the PCX out of inventory...GREAT Price for sure....!!!!!... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Our dealer is still going through them. 3 in the past 4 days & at least that many more in the past month. Glad they are doing so well.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

strkngfang wrote:Our dealer is still going through them. 3 in the past 4 days & at least that many more in the past month. Glad they are doing so well.
Same here...my Local Dealer has sold every PCX150 He can get....Forzas are all already pre-sold..... ;)
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Best time? Whenever you're ready. Don't wait. The range of prices paid is so small as to be miniscule. It's not like we're talking about a huge purchase, like a house. You're missing out on (priceless) fun each day you wait.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

The Best Time is NOW!! that is the answer whenever ...