Dead battery cause found

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Dead battery cause found

Post by dustin91 »

So this morning I was getting my 150 back from the dealer after installing a Givi B33 trunk, trickle-charger leads, and getting my permanent plate. I called them ahead to let them know when I'd get there. Once all paid up, they brought it around, and the guy told me to let it run for a few minutes. I did, and then shut it down to access the seat storage, and once geared up and ready, it wouldn't start again. I got the service guy back to look at it, and he knew exactly what the issue was.

When I called, they started it and moved it out from the back of their storage area. When I got there, they moved it to the service area to show what they did. Then when I was paid up, they brought it around front. Apparently, all these ignition starts with quick moving distances (as in yards) - three in maybe 20 minutes - killed the battery. The service rep, who really seemed to know his stuff, said that these repeated starts with no real engine running to recharge the battery will kill it. He brought out a portable jumper and it started right up, and he told me within a mile of riding it'll be charged and ready to go.

Just wanted to share this to everyone... if you do a couple quick starts with no mileage, definitely ride around the block a few times to make sure your battery doesn't give up the ghost!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Dead battery cause found

Post by you you »

dustin91 wrote:So this morning I was getting my 150 back from the dealer after installing a Givi B33 trunk, trickle-charger leads, and getting my permanent plate. I called them ahead to let them know when I'd get there. Once all paid up, they brought it around, and the guy told me to let it run for a few minutes. I did, and then shut it down to access the seat storage, and once geared up and ready, it wouldn't start again. I got the service guy back to look at it, and he knew exactly what the issue was.

When I called, they started it and moved it out from the back of their storage area. When I got there, they moved it to the service area to show what they did. Then when I was paid up, they brought it around front. Apparently, all these ignition starts with quick moving distances (as in yards) - three in maybe 20 minutes - killed the battery. The service rep, who really seemed to know his stuff, said that these repeated starts with no real engine running to recharge the battery will kill it. He brought out a portable jumper and it started right up, and he told me within a mile of riding it'll be charged and ready to go.

Just wanted to share this to everyone... if you do a couple quick starts with no mileage, definitely ride around the block a few times to make sure your battery doesn't give up the ghost!

The cheque is in the post and I woulnt c0me in your mouth...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
dustin91 wrote:So this morning I was getting my 150 back from the dealer after installing a Givi B33 trunk, trickle-charger leads, and getting my permanent plate. I called them ahead to let them know when I'd get there. Once all paid up, they brought it around, and the guy told me to let it run for a few minutes. I did, and then shut it down to access the seat storage, and once geared up and ready, it wouldn't start again. I got the service guy back to look at it, and he knew exactly what the issue was.

The cheque is in the post and I woulnt c0me in your mouth...
If the battery is strong and in good condition then it shouldn't do that, it sounds its already on its way out...that's how mine started weakening and gradually got worse even after longer periods of riding or trickle charging it.
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

exactly, it's getting ready to stop holding a charge.

Get a new battery and you're good.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks for the advice all!
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

My PCX is 15 months old now and the only battery-related issue I've had is that on one occasion the engine would turn as normal but would only just 'catch' then stop running after less than 2 seconds. In fact, thinking about it, I'm not sure it was the battery as I could press the starter button and there was plenty there so all I had to do was give the throttle a bit of a twist (but not quite enough to give forward momentum) and the engine fired without stalling. Been fine since. My initial thought was it may have been the constant use of the start/stop on my previous 6-mile journey but perhaps it was a bit of dirty fuel in the system somewhere and has now been dislodged. The funny thing is, is that it's knocked a little confidence in the start/stop gizmo - so much so that I tend not to use it anymore.
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Theboybilly wrote:My PCX is 15 months old now and the only battery-related issue I've had is that on one occasion the engine would turn as normal but would only just 'catch' then stop running after less than 2 seconds. In fact, thinking about it, I'm not sure it was the battery as I could press the starter button and there was plenty there so all I had to do was give the throttle a bit of a twist (but not quite enough to give forward momentum) and the engine fired without stalling. Been fine since. My initial thought was it may have been the constant use of the start/stop on my previous 6-mile journey but perhaps it was a bit of dirty fuel in the system somewhere and has now been dislodged. The funny thing is, is that it's knocked a little confidence in the start/stop gizmo - so much so that I tend not to use it anymore.

Your bike stalled once and you are angsting about it?