Question about 300cc Scooters...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCXER

Question about 300cc Scooters...

Post by PCXER »

I'm looking at 300cc scooters. Live here in NYC. Am thinking about the Forza. But being 6'3" tall, I actually found the PCX150 fit me better!

I had a similarly bad fit on the very cramped Kymco Downtown 300i.

I wanted to check out the SYM city-com 300i....but haven't found a dealer here yet. It looks cool online...BUT I noticed that SYM also has two other scooters which I like even better. They are the SYM GTS 300i Joymax and the SYM GTS 300 Joymax EVO. I like both their styles more than the citycom....

However it seems that the Joymax is only available overseas. The US kymco website only lists the citycom for sale.

Does anyone know if the joymax gts 300 and joymax gts 300 evo are available in the US?

Thanks!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Question about 300cc Scooters...

Post by Taz »

I have the same problem at 6' 3.5". My pcx without the hump is comfy. the forza will need some thought how to mod. The seat backrest comes right off but there are painful metal mounting lugs. I put pics in one of the Forza threads of the seat without the backrest. You may be able to modify the backrest itself and remove most padding on it but it still does not get past the problem the forza has a very low seat for shorties!

The Maxsys 400i has an adjustable hump and if you take it right off its comfy still. No lumpy lugs like the forza seat. The BMW scooters were both comfy for me but I'm not paying that price for a rebadged kymco powered scooter.

The bikes that fit me nicely are the adventure tourers like the vstrom and the new cb500x. At the moment I'm just keeping my pcx!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sym make identifying their scooters complicated.
The GTS has had three incarnations, the Cyclops 250

the Evo 300 (264cc)

and the F4

These have been variously marketed as the RV, Joymax, GTS, Firenze. the first cyclops was carb, later ones were injection.
The Evo was always injection, as is the F4 it has a ceramic coating in the bore for long life.
The F4 is available in mainland Europe with ABS.

The exhausts rust like wire wool at the beach and the black panels fade to grey.
Apart from that, generally reliable but very short service intervals, the carb model needed an oil change every 600 miles!!!

There has been a bit of bother with the US distributor, hopefully that's all been sorted now.
I think that only the Cyclops was ever available in the US under the RV name.
The metallic blue one looks quite good.

Don't be confused with the 200, that is also called RV but is a completely different machine, also known as the Joyride and yes, two versions, original and Evo...

Hope that helps clear it up :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCXER

Post by PCXER »

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it is confusing!

I used to live in Taiwan teaching English, so I was used to seeing lots of SYMs & Kymco rides. But finding them here in the states(especially on the east coast) is ridiculously hard.

The Taiwan websites for Kymco & SYM have ALOT more models to choose from then the USA versions of their websites.

From the videos I've seen on YouTube, I much prefer the SYM GTS(joymax) 300 to the CityCom 300 available here. Better styling and little things like a gas panel cover. The citycom's cover has no hinge, The whole thing just pops off!

You mentioned the SYMs models. But Kymco also has a bunch of models not available here in the states, like the K-XCT and the Dink. I prefer both those two models(at least looks wise) to the Downtown 300i that is available here(too cramped for my tall frame).

I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to the limited variety of mid sized scoots here in the states.

Oh by the way, Honda calls the PCX the "Prestige" over in Taiwan. :-)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

How much more $ is the Yamaha Majesty? Not great on gas though.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Majesty and Burgman 400 are both good and available.
Later ones post 2007 ish are better on fuel.
Or the Kymco Xciting (really?) 500 with the lurid mango orange colour option :drool:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCXER

Post by PCXER »

So far, after looking around at all these 300cc scoots, I think I'm gonna stick with the PCX. At least I know its available here in the states, and even tho its 150cc, it fits my frame! :-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If it does all you need from it then you would be mad to change.
Sadly a PCX just isn't enough scooter for me these days, I need MORE!!!!
PCXER

Post by PCXER »

Actually, I rode the PCX while in Taiwan. Now that I'm back in the states, I'm scooterless & going thru withdrawal! Grrrrr :-(

Like you, I was thinking of going bigger as well...so that's why I was looking. Just wish there was more choices like in Taiwan. I havent bought anything yet, and will keep looking for now...But at least I do know I love the PCX.

I'd just like to get something in time for lots of fall riding up the east coast as the leaves change color. :-)
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

On the Sym the 300 model here didn't fit me but the 400i model called maxsym here did, once the hump was removed. But I've got no local sym dealer so didn't pursue further. The most comfortable were the BMW's, shame they are so expensive.
PCXER

Post by PCXER »

How tall are you Taz? I just found ONE SYM dealer here in the NYC area. It's called zoomscooternyc.com
Gonna go check em out this week and see what kind of inventory they got. Will post my findings.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

6' 3.5". On the stock forza my knees press against the dash and the seat won't be as easy to modify as the pcx. The Maxsym seat will be easy to mod. Get the dealer to remove the hump! Its a 2 min job. Seems like the maxsym may be the f4 mentioned by gn2, anyway its sym's biggest I think.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I'm another tall rider. Good info. Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The F4 is a 300 Joymax, the Maxsym is a bigger machine.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Right. But I don't think the F4 aka the Joymax 300 is available here in the USA.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I don't believe it is, but the (excellent) Citycom has the same motor as the 300 Evo but with bigger wheels and definitely suits tall riders.

Good review here: http://justgottascoot.com/citycom2013.htm
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Thanks GN. Good review. Does seem good for tall riders, and the price is great compared to the competition. Now I just gotta find a SYM dealership in my area!

I still wish the joymax/GTS 300 was available here. I like the curves on that baby alot more than the citycom. More rounded vs boxy.
Stejay
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Stejay »

I rented a SYM Citycom for 4 days a couple of years ago on the Gold Coast Australia and loved it. It is an excellent bike and I highly recommend it.

I even got it up to 145KPH which terrified me. You could sure feel the wind buffeting and it was very noisy compared to 100KPH. It seems almost exponential that the faster you go the more buffeting and noise you get. (I know that sounds dumb but the 20KPH difference between 80 and 100 was nothing compared to the 20 KPH difference between 100 & 120)

I was dead keen to get one - Until the PCX150 came out. It was $1,500 cheaper and way lighter. Although I believe SYM to be a good brand I trust Honda even more. As technologically advanced as the SYM Citycom was the PCX is even more advanced.

All and all the PCX was all I needed - It is enough!

Also I’m 6'1 and 90Kg and found both fitted well. I may deal to that hump though! I like the idea of removing it, drilling new holes 1/2 inch further back and reattaching it.

You would think with all the "hump" feed back they would re-design it to be at least adjustable or removable without having to completely re-engineer or replace your seat. I may go down the replacement path if I can find a seat that does not compromise the under-seat storage space.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I'm with you Stejay. I still have to check out some other scoots in person, but so far the PCX150 is the one to beat for style & fun. Not to mention price & fuel economy! That is why I am here. I am leaning more and more to just getting the PCX and ending my search. :-)
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

PCX PCX PCX!!!!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red