Went for the red PCX!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jonestownpadude

Went for the red PCX!

Post by jonestownpadude »

So I posted a few weeks ago about the best time to buy – well, I went ahead and did it on Friday! I didn’t get anything off on the MSRP, but I got a fair price on my trade (2006 Buddy 125). I am really enjoying the PCX- I already have 60 miles on it and I drove it to work today. I guess I am anxious to get past the 300 mile break in and perhaps get to the 600 mile service prior to putting it to sleep for the winter (my dealer quoted $136 for the first service). If I wait till the spring for the first service and it sits all winter before that, would that be ok? The PCX 150 is a step up from the Buddy I think – I really appreciate the design, and fit and finish (something as simple as the bigger mirrors makes it much nicer to drive). It’s also more stable on the rural roads where I live. Anyway, thanks everyone for their advice on the forum! The first issue I had was I couldn’t get the seat closed – I searched on the forum and discovered I was doing it wrong! I can't however figure out how to get the parking brake to engage - is there a trick to that?
Attachments
photo red 2.JPG
photo red 2.JPG (170.68 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Went for the red PCX!

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

The parking brake can be finicky, read the manual and try it a few times. My dealer showed it to me and struggled making it work before I purchased mine. I dont use it so I cant give you any of my experiences. If you want to save the $136.00 for the oil change, there is a section called "how to" in this forum that has pictures and a step by step guide showing you how to do it. Make sure you use the oil reccomended in the manual that is detergent free. Congrats on your new PCX :D

Oh, and at 600 miles, take a wrench or socket to all the bolts and make sure they are tight. I did not find any loose but one cant be too safe.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

The parking brake is a joke.

I dont think it was designed to actually be useful. :lol:
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

The parking brake operation requires a properly adjusted rear brake. Spec is 10-20mm free travel. Mine was too loose so the p brake never worked. Have it set to about 15mm handle free play and parking brake works great!
jonestownpadude

Thanks - I'll have the dealer take a look at the brake at the first service. I think the first service includes the valve adjustement (they said it was 2 hrs of labor overall). So, I thought $136 sounded reasonable.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Congratulations and well done, PA dude.
It's a fun ride!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Congrats from a (good) few miles away in NJ! As for the seat, I've found out I've ridden it with the seat unlatched (thinking it was), but never had an issue. As for the parking brake, I set the tightening bolt (left side of the rear wheel) so that the brake works, but haven't actually used it. Honestly, I'm not really sure of an instance where I would use it, since I park my 150 on the centerstand anyway.

I couldn't get a break off MSRP from my dealer either, if it makes you feel any better!
st3v4nt

Post by st3v4nt »

Nice choice red PCX ....
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I think I've heard that the profit at MSRP is only around 100.00, we paid full price for my wife's as well.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Congrats :D , I didn't think you would get much off msrp...:x , if your rural roads are anything like mine, bigger tires make a huge difference in feel/stability. 8)

Oh yeah just get rid of the parking brake, kinda useless.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jonestownpadude wrote:So I posted a few weeks ago about the best time to buy – well, I went ahead and did it on Friday! I didn’t get anything off on the MSRP, but I got a fair price on my trade (2006 Buddy 125). I am really enjoying the PCX- I already have 60 miles on it and I drove it to work today. I guess I am anxious to get past the 300 mile break in and perhaps get to the 600 mile service prior to putting it to sleep for the winter (my dealer quoted $136 for the first service). If I wait till the spring for the first service and it sits all winter before that, would that be ok? The PCX 150 is a step up from the Buddy I think – I really appreciate the design, and fit and finish (something as simple as the bigger mirrors makes it much nicer to drive). It’s also more stable on the rural roads where I live. Anyway, thanks everyone for their advice on the forum! The first issue I had was I couldn’t get the seat closed – I searched on the forum and discovered I was doing it wrong! I can't however figure out how to get the parking brake to engage - is there a trick to that?
What is a buddy? Don't want to Google it :D
jonestownpadude

Thanks everyone. Buddy 125 is a scooter from Genuine Scooter Company. Actually it's made by PGO in tawain, but Genuine imports it. It's a nice scooter. It didn't give me a lot of problems, but the PCX is a step up in quality.

Yeah, I always put it on the center stand, so not much use for the parking brake I guess. I learned the hard way with the Buddy; one time I left the engine running and on the kick stand in my driveway. I ran into the house and when I came back the scooter had tipped over! Of course with the PCX, the engine turns off once once the kick stand is down.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Congrats on your purchase. Happy riding!!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alvinsgp

Post by alvinsgp »

I also went for a PCX150. Collected it this week.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Where's that seat from alvin?
alvinsgp

Post by alvinsgp »

Got it from Mad Max bangkok.