Keeping PCX 150 from falling over

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Keeping PCX 150 from falling over

Post by Joan & Jack »

My wife and I were out of state for the weekend. We returned Sunday evening to see my wife's PCX on its side in our open sided carport :cry:. I mostly park the PCX on the center stand and did this time also. The front wheel was attached to a carport support with a kryptonite chain and lock. It may have dropped because of winds associated with one of our Florida afternoon T-storms. This bike has the Honda top case (more surface area for wind to push against) and fortunately the bike was covered. This carport has a slight slope and the bike fell in the direction of the slope. Testing the stability of the center stand and the side stand, I don't sense much additional stability from the side stand either. As a comparison, my Burgman 400 feels like the Rock of Gibraltar when up on the center stand.
Any suggestions for creating a more stable center stand or a beefer side stand? Thanks, Jack
2013 Honda PCX with Honda Top Case and Honda Windshield. Best documented gas mileage was 110 MPG
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Keeping PCX 150 from falling over

Post by Taz »

If its an original 125 model I wouldnt be using the main stand much due to the reported problems here with it. I have an original 125 and Im 90% of the time on the side stand. Its survived 65mph winds on the side stand as I feel the main stand is not as stable. Did you have any damage?
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

J&J said it's a 150 -- center stand not as much a problem.

I'm finding that it's most stable with kick stand when locking the front wheel all the way to the left. The 3 points appear to be more stable than on the center stand, where it seems to rock.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Tie it to the Burgman? :-)

No, seriously, it would sincerely bother me to come home to that.
Trying to level the area sounds difficult and shielding it from the wind might look kinda hokey.
Would this be a good excuse to construct a backyard outbuilding?
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Joan & Jack »

Thanks for the comments. The Burgman is normally wedged beside it in the evenings and when I am not commuting. The Burgman happened to be in the shop over the weekend having some warranty work completed. Still, the PCX is normally exposed and on its own 10 hours a day.
I wanted to check and learn if anyone has modified / adapted the center stand to give it a more stable stance. We live in a condominium complex where structural modifications to offer more protection are not an option.
2013 Honda PCX with Honda Top Case and Honda Windshield. Best documented gas mileage was 110 MPG
Pseudo-Fed

Post by Pseudo-Fed »

Can you strap it on both sides somehow--from the handlebars to some structure, like you were transporting it? Wouldn't take much force and straps could be taken off quickly.
Jeff
"Fast is fine, but Accuracy is Final"--Wyatt Earp
http:\\www.idpa.com

2013 Yamaha FJR--"Shelly"
2013 Honda PCX150--"Blossom"
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Pseudo-Fed wrote:Can you strap it on both sides somehow--from the handlebars to some structure, like you were transporting it? Wouldn't take much force and straps could be taken off quickly.
OOoooo, yeah!
How about a couple of Ancra straps from the handlebars, tied to eyelets in a 4 x 8 sheet of medium-weight plywood?
The plywood sheet would lie on the carport floor with the eyelets sticking upward.
Park on the plywood, anchor down and walk away!
You could even paint a picture on the plywood -- Honda emblem or PCX forum logo.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

I'd get a good stable wheel chock for it.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus