Decision between PCX and S-Wing

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

toria
Regular User
Regular User

Decision between PCX and S-Wing

Post by toria »

I hope you guys can help me? I am in a quandary and cannot decide whether to get the PCX or the S-Wing. I know what they look like, they're both 125cc etc and of course the S-Wing is bigger with better weather protection etc.. and of course costs more. Does anyone know how they differ in terms of fuel economy and presence on the road. Presumably bigger bikes have a better presence on the road but its not the prettiest of bikes but the PCX looks v. funky! In the past, I have had bikes ranging from the Suzuki Burgman 125 right up to the Suzuki Burgman 650 executive, the latter of which I found far too heavy and cumbersome! Any feedback gratefully received. If it helps, I'm a late 40s female from the UK with, sadly not a particularly small frame but at the same time, not quite the size of a house! :lol:
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Decision between PCX and S-Wing

Post by PKrellner »

The Silver Wing is not a 125cc machine. It has a 582cc liquid-cooled four-stroke parallel-twin. The MSRP is around $9000 whereas the PCX is just shy of $3500. Big difference in bikes. The Silver Wing is also almost twice the weight.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Yeah, I'm not sure if you are confusing the silver wing with another scoot, cause the silver wing is HUGE! I saw one in a showroom yesterday, and it looked like a friggin truck. Lol
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

The OP has opened two threads on the same subject. He's still talking about the S-Wing (not to be confused with the big Honda Silverwing).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/biker ... 7-current/
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

S-Wing not silver or gold wing
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

So S-Wing is only a UK model?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Search this forum as I think gn2 had some good comments on s wing.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

PKrellner wrote:So S-Wing is only a UK model?
------------------------
It's available in various countries.

Here's a Belgian site:
http://www.fl.honda.be/content/motorfie ... s-wing.php

A French site:
http://www.scooter-infos.com/essai-1665 ... s-abs.html

A German site:
http://www.ulrichgottschalk.de/S-Wing/S_Wing.htm
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Having owned a PCX for three years I would strongly advise you get a used S-wing.
You can pick up a year old one in white with ABS and a factory fitted colour matched topbox for about the same price as a new PCX.
There's just no comparison.
The S-wing is slightly faster than the PCX, has similar economy, has far higher equipment spec, cheaper parts and is one of the most comfortable scooters on sale anywhere.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The comments Taz referred to are in this thread, which might be of interest.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=439&p=5979
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Good posts in that thread from GN2! Am impressed I remembered about it! Pat on the back to both of us ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

That S-wing looks like a try me out bike! If we had that in the U.S. my PCX "might not" be living here. Then again, :? Honda probably wouldn't give us that choice to begin with.
Moving on.......
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Ah...I see. I thought S-Wing was short for SilverWing. The S-Wing isn't available here in the states so I just assumed. I googled the S-Wing. Looks nice. But i still like the look of the PCX better. To me the PCX look is that perfect blend of a maxi scooter with a sport bike. The S-Wing just looks like a small Maxie scooter. Not that that is bad. Just not a PCX. Some might prefer the bucket seat of the S-Wing, but if its anything like the bucket seat of the Forza, for a tall rider like me, it'll probably cause my legs to smash up against the dash. And speaking of the dash, I prefer the PCX's sportier front end. The dash of the S-Wing is a little too boxy for my tastes. But again, for those who really like maxi scooters, but just want a smaller version, I think its great.

Since the S-Wing isn't even available on this side of the pond, its a moot point for me anyway. I can't give it a proper seat test. I can only judge from afar.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The S-Wing is a Europe only machine and is designed by Europeans for Europeans.
It has more legroom and is more comfortable than a Forza.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Was the S-Wing called Pantheon, a few years back?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

PKrellner wrote:The Silver Wing is not a 125cc machine. It has a 582cc liquid-cooled four-stroke parallel-twin. The MSRP is around $9000 whereas the PCX is just shy of $3500. Big difference in bikes. The Silver Wing is also almost twice the weight.

Thanks for your messages one and all and to PKrellner, as you've seen the S-Wing is NOT the same as the Silver Wing but I hadn't appreciated that it didn't sell in the USA! I think there is another name for the S-Wing 'over the pond'? I've had the Silver Wing in the past - lovely bike but very heavy and cumbersome and I've also had the Burgman 650 - again, very heavy but beautiful to drive. As I'm now getting older, I need something more nimble purely for commuting 8.5 miles 2 times a day on mainly low speed roads. Therefore, I don't need that much speed though it's nice to have it in 'reserve' if it's needed. The thing that puts me off 125CC scooters is the short period between services (2500 miles in the UK)! I quite like the look of the new Forza 300 - basically a PCX on steroids and with much longer intervals between servicing - 8000 miles or 1 year - BUT it costs £4499 in the UK! Such a difficult choice to make: cannot really justify the Forza as only using for commuting BUT like the bigger engine BUT more expensive to buy/run - won't be able to find a second hand one as they're new to the market. PCX looks very funky and fun to drive, S-Wing in my mind rather ugly BUT with better weather protection and more road presence but both have these bloomin short intervals between servicing and if you're female and wouldn't know where to begin with servicing a bike, I'm rather stuck.

So, any more feedback gratefully received - and thank you all for taking the trouble to reply so far.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you want funky and long intervals between services, a Vespa LX 3v (6000miles) could be the scoot for you, or an Xevo 125 (4000miles) if there are any left in stock at dealers.
Based on your 8.5 mile commute distance a 2500 mile service interval means you'll need two services a year, at circa £110 a time it's not too awful.
But if you have a full licence why constrain yourself to a 125...?

The Pantheon was the predecessor to the S-wing, they share the FES model designation but are quite different.

What is your budget?
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Are the intervals between check ups chiseled in stone? Or just suggestions? I know many were bummed about the 2500 mile check ups of the PCX. But I know many who scoffed at it too as not necessary. Definitely get it checked. But every 2500 miles? I don't think that is mandatory. If you take care of your scoot, chances are you will never have to adjust the valves. I know plenty of people with Honda scooters with over 40,000 miles and they've never had a problem with their valves or had them checked again after the first 600 miles.
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

Vagabondman wrote:Are the intervals between check ups chiseled in stone? Or just suggestions? I know many were bummed about the 2500 mile check ups of the PCX. But I know many who scoffed at it too as not necessary. Definitely get it checked. But every 2500 miles? I don't think that is mandatory. If you take care of your scoot, chances are you will never have to adjust the valves. I know plenty of people with Honda scooters with over 40,000 miles and they've never had a problem with their valves or had them checked again after the first 600 miles.
Thanks for your message. I'm not too sure if the service intervals are set in stone but that is what Honda told me should be done! I suspect a lot of it is to bring in more income for Honda, but conversely apparently 125cc scooters generally only have small tanks for the oil and the oil degrades after a short time so allegedly that is why they need regular servicing. Unfortunately I would not know where to begin with servicing a bike so wouldn't even think about it! That is why I am leaning a little way towards the Honda Forza, but as said previously, that is a lot more expensive to buy. Thanks again for your response, it is greatly appreciated.