What is the most gas-efficient speed?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

What is the most gas-efficient speed?

Post by gokidd »

What would you guess to be the most gas-efficient speed for a PCX 150 on flat ground with no wind?
Would a team of PCX riders be able to achieve even better gas mileage than a single rider, if they were able to efficiently operate at this speed, sharing turns at the front of the formation and benefiting from drafting ala a bicycle racing team?
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Carpathian hawk

Re: What is the most gas-efficient speed?

Post by Carpathian hawk »

The speed is 65 km/h. But is boring for a good asphalt and more than 10 km riding....so a "win-win" speed is 80 km/h.
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150 red, 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 red.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

I find cruising at 50 gets good mpg 128 on last tank
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Thanks, Hawk.
Tom, that sounds like excellent performance at 50!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

The highest mpg occurs at the lowest speed possible that keeps the clutch fully engaged. Any faster than that is a compromise between speed and mpg; higher speed-lower mpg, slower speed-higher mpg.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Yep, understood.
With no tachometer or shift lever, it's a matter of listening to the engine and sensing the vibrations.
Very Jedi ...
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:The highest mpg occurs at the lowest speed possible that keeps the clutch fully engaged. Any faster than that is a compromise between speed and mpg; higher speed-lower mpg, slower speed-higher mpg.

Isn't the clutch fully engaged at just over walking speed?
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

The best measured tank I ever had was about 2-3 weeks after I got my 125... when I went on a long, slow ride with some 50cc riders that averaged 24mph, as measured by MyTracks. :)

My daily commute is more like an average of 38mph (with much at 50+), and so my overall average is a LOT lower than that one long, slow ride.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jprestonian/pcx
http://scootercalledwanda.blogspot.com
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

gokidd wrote:Yep, understood.
With no tachometer or shift lever, it's a matter of listening to the engine and sensing the vibrations.
Very Jedi ...
:lol: Yes, use the force when shifting...
pozo

Post by pozo »

The best mileage obtained was 132 mpg at 30-35mph. More commonly, I get 105 mpg at around 40 mph, and at 50mph, the mpg drops to the low 90's.

At these speeds, most of the energy used on a motorcycle is to overcome wind resistance. So, yes, in theory a draft team would improve efficiency (just like cyclists do) although the danger in riding in such tight formation on public roads would probably overshadow any benefits in improved mpg....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pozo wrote:The best mileage obtained was 132 mpg at 30-35mph. More commonly, I get 105 mpg at around 40 mph, and at 50mph, the mpg drops to the low 90's.

At these speeds, most of the energy used on a motorcycle is to overcome wind resistance. So, yes, in theory a draft team would improve efficiency (just like cyclists do) although the danger in riding in such tight formation on public roads would probably overshadow any benefits in improved mpg....
And they might not want to go where you want to go
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

you you wrote:
pozo wrote:The best mileage obtained was 132 mpg at 30-35mph. More commonly, I get 105 mpg at around 40 mph, and at 50mph, the mpg drops to the low 90's.

And they might not want to go where you want to go
Crowdsourcing meets scooter touring!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

My "Old" PCX125, and my "New" PCX150 tended/tend to "hover/average" around the 90 MPG mark for the most part in every day use under realistic conditions of combined 4-Lane Hwys, City Streets, and lots of Twisty Mountain and Country Back Roads.....my Forza300 "hovers" around the 78 to 80 MPG mark..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

A Group of us used to "Line Draft" a lot with Ruckus 50 Scooters...especially in the Smoky Mountains....keeping Tires perfectly in line, inches apart isn't really safe and should only (in my opinion) be done with Riders You are really, really familiar riding with. Each Ruckus was different and had it's strong point, whether that be climbing, downhill, flats, and/or Rider Skills.....Leaders were swapped quickly and at efficient points....Lotsa' fun, and kept speeds much better for the whole Group since 50cc doesn't leave a lot to spare..... :D
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

skuuter wrote:My "Old" PCX125, and my "New" PCX150 tended/tend to "hover/average" around the 90 MPG mark for the most part in every day use under realistic conditions of combined 4-Lane Hwys, City Streets, and lots of Twisty Mountain and Country Back Roads.....my Forza300 "hovers" around the 78 to 80 MPG mark..... 8)
Are you on Fuelly? Help promote fuel efficient transportation.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/forza%20300
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

you you wrote:
cessna151 wrote:The highest mpg occurs at the lowest speed possible that keeps the clutch fully engaged. Any faster than that is a compromise between speed and mpg; higher speed-lower mpg, slower speed-higher mpg.

Correct. The slower you go the better the mpg, until the clutch starts slipping of course.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

skuuter wrote:A Group of us used to "Line Draft" a lot with Ruckus 50 Scooters...especially in the Smoky Mountains....keeping Tires perfectly in line, inches apart isn't really safe and should only (in my opinion) be done with Riders You are really, really familiar riding with. Each Ruckus was different and had it's strong point, whether that be climbing, downhill, flats, and/or Rider Skills.....Leaders were swapped quickly and at efficient points....Lotsa' fun, and kept speeds much better for the whole Group since 50cc doesn't leave a lot to spare..... :D
Too cool!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:
you you wrote:

Correct. The slower you go the better the mpg, until the clutch starts slipping of course.

Life is too short
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

mostly I do 35--50 mph on a 20 mile commute each day. I was getting around 115 mpg. the last fill up I was cruising around 50--60 mph a lot and got 92 mpg. NOW I see why, by reading the above posts. I like to maximize my gas mileage but when I really thought about it, it's all about fun on a PCX! so what if I get 90 mpg instead of 115 or 120 mpg... big whoop. this isn't a car that you try to get the most out of the gas. this is ALL about the FUN!
pozo

Post by pozo »

Just wanted to add that the 132mpg was more of a proof-of-concept, aimed to demonstrate what is possible out of this bike. In other words, I specifically rode with under ultra-gentle conditions, just giving it enough gas to keep it moving forward at about 30 mph, leaning over the bars to reduce drag, etc. I would NOT recommend riding like this under normal conditions. Nevertheless, as others have pointed out, it is not too difficult to ride achieve around 100mpg, even at 40-45 mph under real-world conditions --just be gentle on the throttle.