My first post (be gentle !)

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

hatari
Regular User
Regular User

My first post (be gentle !)

Post by hatari »

Hi Everyone,

im a Brit living in Thailand and have had PCX's since they came out over here, getting on for 4 years ago....

i'd had the "chicken chaser" type scooter previously, but when the PCX came out, i got one straight away - wasn't too happy with the colour choice available - either black with brown plastics / seat, gold with brown plastics or silver with brown....i went with the silver....

drove aound for a few months...very happy with, then about 3 1/2 years ago Honda changed the model slightly (still 125cc), introducing new colours, this time with black plastics....so i px'd my silver one for a new red one with black plastics...even managed to get a decal kit chucked in for free....

since then i've put a few bits and bobs on it (see photos) - fairly easy (and cheap) to source over here as there are places selling pcx stuff almost on every corner....

about 18 months ago, i had a J Coster Variator fitted....

prior to fitting, the bike would top out at 108kph - you'd get a juddering, which was the bike telling you to back off...

The variator people talked of better acceleration and a 120kph top speed, the latter i took with a pinch of salt....

i was advised to run the variator in for a bit to let it "bed in", so wasn't able to do the perfect "before and after" test, but you could feel a diference on the acceleration...

off the mark it sort of felt that it had another, lower, gear, so getting away from the lights was quicker, as was its mid range punch....

the impression i got with the top spead increase was that whilst the variator didn't do anything to the rev limiter, it gave taller gearing and thus chance to increase top speed...

anyway, one sun morning on a quiet dual carriage way went for the top speed test, it went past 110kph which was encouraging and crept to 115kph, and, to be honest it did feel that there was a bit more there, but then common sense kicked in - the bike didn't feel it was made for that kind of speed, particularly with me on it ! - so i backed off....

so was the variator worth the money ?? well i paid, as i recall about 120 GBP for it, as it was imported from Spain......mmm, possibly....

.i'm not a fan of aftermarket "performance" (LOL) exhausts and air filters, but with the variator you can definately feel some difference for your money

nowadays though the bike shops do their own variators and can be got well under half what i paid....so quite a bit of bang for your buck...

i've also fitted Dunlop TT low profile & wider tyres, which improve the handling somewhat and the aftermarket seat is more comfortable than the original....

last week i was at the dealers having it serviced and i went into the showroom to see the new 150 pcx and enquired "how much to swap"....

for my 14,500 km, 3 1/2 year old 125, they wanted about 600 GBP to swap, which i though was pretty good, but decided to hang on to mine for the time being.
Attachments
DSCN1991.JPG
DSCN1991.JPG (262.87 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
DSCN1988.JPG
DSCN1988.JPG (270.79 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
DSCN1990.JPG
DSCN1990.JPG (232.37 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
DSCN1994.JPG
DSCN1994.JPG (285.16 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Gossamer

Re: My first post (be gentle !)

Post by Gossamer »

Hi Hatari,
Welcome to the forum. Nice scoot, love the seat. Did the Dunlop TT low profile tyres make any difference to the bike handling?
Cheers.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome hatari. Glad to see another expat in Thao on hondapcx.org. Great to have you aboard. What part of the country are you in? I am right in the heart of BKK.

I hear you about the "bits and bobs" being fairly easy (and cheap) to source over here. I've put quite a few pieces on mine with the latest addition being plastic add-on panels on the fron and year sides and well as the front fender. You can see it on the 'Before & After' thread in the Gallery.

I also put the J Costa variator in. Because I don't ride outside the core of the city much, I have had much chance to open it up, but you are right about the top speed. How fast does one actually want to go on a bike this light? :? I noticed an immediate difference in acceleration. It seems to be smoother as I initially accelerate as well.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

Gossamer wrote:Hi Hatari,
Welcome to the forum. Nice scoot, love the seat. Did the Dunlop TT low profile tyres make any difference to the bike handling?
Cheers.

marked improvement.....
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

kramnala58 wrote:Welcome hatari. Glad to see another expat in Thao on hondapcx.org. Great to have you aboard. What part of the country are you in? I am right in the heart of BKK.

I hear you about the "bits and bobs" being fairly easy (and cheap) to source over here. I've put quite a few pieces on mine with the latest addition being plastic add-on panels on the fron and year sides and well as the front fender. You can see it on the 'Before & After' thread in the Gallery.

I also put the J Costa variator in. Because I don't ride outside the core of the city much, I have had much chance to open it up, but you are right about the top speed. How fast does one actually want to go on a bike this light? :? I noticed an immediate difference in acceleration. It seems to be smoother as I initially accelerate as well.

i'm in north pattaya.....where there's 40 odd main honda scooter dealers, plus hundreds of 'lndependants' and very cheap compared to the west.

agree mid range punch is the key....have a cb500x for turns of speed and longer rides - but round town, PCX is king.....
Attachments
box off 022.jpg
box off 022.jpg (306.87 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Welcome! Both your bikes look great, Hatari! I am considering the CB500X. Only the matte black is offered in the U.S. I like the white very much. Are custom seats for the X also popular in Thailand?
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

What seat is that you have?
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

gokidd wrote:Welcome! Both your bikes look great, Hatari! I am considering the CB500X. Only the matte black is offered in the U.S. I like the white very much. Are custom seats for the X also popular in Thailand?

no, not seen one...standard one is ok.....
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

Mgalutia88 wrote:What seat is that you have?

not sure, bought from local bike shop...circa 36 gbp (fitted)...

bigger area for driver (and smaller for passenger) than the std seat....
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

hatari wrote:
gokidd wrote:Welcome! Both your bikes look great, Hatari! I am considering the CB500X. Only the matte black is offered in the U.S. I like the white very much. Are custom seats for the X also popular in Thailand?
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Hope the monsoons aren't keeping you inside.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

gokidd wrote:
hatari wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Hope the monsoons aren't keeping you inside.

yes its a tad wet at the mo.....
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

The Tyres are - Dunlop TT900 GT's

Front - 100/80/14

Rear - 120/80/14

a marked improvement over the standard tyres....
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

Nice Bikes!!!!! welcome to the forum!!
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

thanks............
nacho

Post by nacho »

Welcome to the forum.

I had a dealer put an aftermarket variator on my PCX and the cost was 1600 baht (48 dollars). Now, I know where to buy the parts, so it's going to be 25-30% cheaper.

You've got some good looking bikes, fo sho!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

What is the tire pressure for the OEM tires vs those tires? Come to think of it, I don't even know what the standard tire pressure should be...hmmm. Back to the point though, is there a difference between those tires and the OEM ones, such as handling, width and height that might cause them to rub, and a difference in recommended tire pressures?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:What is the tire pressure for the OEM tires vs those tires? Come to think of it, I don't even know what the standard tire pressure should be...hmmm. Back to the point though, is there a difference between those tires and the OEM ones, such as handling, width and height that might cause them to rub, and a difference in recommended tire pressures?
Handbook or the internet. Pump up the tyres if needed. Angst later?
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

Mel46 wrote:What is the tire pressure for the OEM tires vs those tires? Come to think of it, I don't even know what the standard tire pressure should be...hmmm. Back to the point though, is there a difference between those tires and the OEM ones, such as handling, width and height that might cause them to rub, and a difference in recommended tire pressures?

dont know....
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Not meaning to jump topics but how is Thailand being affected by that typhoon monster?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:Not meaning to jump topics but how is Thailand being affected by that typhoon monster?
We're not hearing much about it here as it relates to Thailand. I don't think it was scheduled to get to Thailand until early Monday (Thai time) and then only in the upper north east of the country. From the one graphic I saw, it looked like the winds were going to drop to between 25 and 40 mph (45-65 kph) by the time it gets that far north, so it will not have anywhere near the affect that it did on the Philippines.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(