Wide tyres and insurance

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Wide tyres and insurance

Post by djcat »

Good evening,

In my quest to make the PCX my winter commuter, I wanted to combine a swap of tyres with the next regular service. In line with some forum posts on here and in other languages, I wanted to swap them for some winter tyres sized 120/80 - 14 (rear) and 100/80 - 14 (front).

The dealer replied:

"We could do this for you we would not recommend it though.

If we were to fit them you would have to sign a disclaimer acknowledging that we fitted them at your request.

You would also need to notify your insurance company as this could constitute a modification and therefore invalidate your cover."

Did anybody UK based have non standard sized tyres fitted? If so, did you have to notify your insurance? Every time I ask mine for anything, they are fine with it as long as I don't increase the power or paint it in a Police bikes colour scheme.

To anybody (UK based or not) who put on wider tyres: Did you have any issues with handling or scraping any suspension or body parts? What size did you fit?

About winter tyres: I made my decision, I am happy to explain why I want to swap from the original IRCs to them but I would ideally prefer this thread to be about the sizes than about the type.

Thanks,

DJ
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Re: Wide tyres and insurance

Post by Alibally »

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/mot ... %7CRF.html

There are the correct sized winter tyres here.

Put the size in the bottom of the page. 100/90 14 for the rear and 90/90 14 for the front.
You would be better to leave them the stock size as winter/snow tyres should be narrower anyway.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Insurance is madness in the UK. We don't have to deal with any of that silliness in the USA. :/
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

I have a WR250X and even this is not good in snow. I don't think I would change the tyres and expect too much difference. Cars yes, bikes no
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
ewing65

Post by ewing65 »

Any modification even a simple one, changes it from a standard model to a custom model and if you have not notified your UK insurance company you well may not be insured in the event of a claim.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

It's actually worse than that, using the wrong tyres could constitute an offence punishable by fine and/or points.
There's no need for winter tyres on a PCX, on the few days you might need winter tyres it would be best to leave the scooter at home.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Winter tyres are not just for snow. The clue is in the title. There're for the winter months.
The rubber compound of a winter tyre is very different to a summer tyre. It is designed specifically to work in temperatures under +7 degrees centigrade.
What happens to a summer tyre when the temperature drops is that the tyre compound loses its flexibility, making it less grippy in low temperatures.
Winter tyres are made from specially developed compound with more natural rubber so they don’t harden when it’s cold, which means increased grip on the road and greater safety.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yep I know all that.
Normal tyres work ok on a PCX, there's no need for winter tyres.
For winter tyres to be worth fitting the weather has to be consistently cold.
One thing the weather isn't is consistent.
To use winter tyres you need two sets of wheels.
Changing them is a major p.i.t.a. and that's on a car, its a whole lot worse on a PCX.
As we do not have laws requiring winter tyres (yet?), there's no point fannying around with them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

gn2 wrote:It's actually worse than that, using the wrong tyres could constitute an offence punishable by fine and/or points.
There's no need for winter tyres on a PCX, on the few days you might need winter tyres it would be best to leave the scooter at home.
Is it an offence? Oh dear...can I not even have them looked at at an MOT station and have them ok'ed? At least in other countries on the old continent such thing is possible.

About winter tyres: I will not swap them every change of season, I will use them all year round. I don't like the IRCs in the first place and it is safe to use winter tyres throughout summer, whilst the other way around is not. The difference in braking distance on a cold, dry and completely free of snow surface between summer and winter tyres is grotesque!
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

djcat wrote:I don't like the IRCs in the first place and it is safe to use winter tyres throughout summer, whilst the other way around is not.
------------------
IRC makes winter tyres as well. They are safe to use all year round as a replacement for the stock tyres.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... now+_iro32

It's all in the tread. A tyre like this (Michelin S83 on a Vespa PX 200) is good for the winter months too.

Last edited by khaosaming on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:It's actually worse than that, using the wrong tyres could constitute an offence punishable by fine and/or points.
What offence would that be?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Michelin City Grip.
Work perfectly in all weathers.
Good mileage.
Cheap.
Readily available.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:What offence would that be?
Regulation 27 Construction and Use Regs 1986
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

In my opinion, Michelin City Grip is not particularly well suited for winter riding. The tread is too smooth. A proper winter tyre looks like an off-road tyre.

Michelin City Grip:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

What to get is an all season tyre if it going on all year. Winters will be too soft for summer use and wear out very quickly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

khaosaming wrote:In my opinion, Michelin City Grip is not particularly well suited for winter riding.
How many miles of winter riding on City Grip tyres is this opinion based on?
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Interesting legal info, especially when reading through the text of the law (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... on/27/made)

Thanks for that!

About IRC winter tyres: Maybe they do them, but if I didn't like the original summer ones, I am not very inclined to try their other products. Given the legal width restrictions, I may go for the Heidenau option, well renown manufacturer of winter tyres for bikes and scooters with plenty of reviews, including on the ADVriders forum.

Just for curiosity, to anybody who actually has fitted wider tyres: How is the handling with them?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

@ GN2

It's possible we are talking or thinking about different things here. What you may call winter in the British isles, is probably more like late spring or early autumn in Finland. I commuted to work on a Honda Zoomer through two winters with temperatures falling as low as minus 25. The Zoomer has Kenda tyres, so a proper comparison is not possible. Yet I prefer a good deep tread and separated blocks like in an off-road tyre.

City Grip is a good tyre, and I installed them on my Vespa LX 150. I wouldn't use them on snow, though. City Grip is a wet road tyre with a good grip when it's only slightly slippery.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Just one more thing...

Strictly speaking the City Grip would be illegal to use in Finland from December to February when winter tyres are mandatory. The law in Finland requires that a motorcycle has rugged tyres for winter use (what ever that is). I reckon it means a blocky texture with big grooves, like an off-road tyre.

I know that basically the thread is about riding in the UK. We are an international community of scooterists, so a slight deviation to add some (ir?)relevant information in other countries should be ok.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yep, the op was specifically looking for information about riding in the UK.
Winter road conditions here are very different to Scandinavia.