Start/stop okay for car not scoot!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Start/stop okay for car not scoot!

Post by strkngfang »

I am shocked that the U.S approved the idle stop function on the new 2014 Chevy Malibu, and denied passage on Honda PCXs. They had to be removed prior to America selling them. How is it safer having this on a car & not a scoot.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Start/stop okay for car not scoot!

Post by gn2 »

Nothing to do with safety, its all about ignorance.
The reasons for it have already been discussed on here at least twice.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Nothing to do with safety, its all about ignorance.
The reasons for it have already been discussed on here at least twice.

Some countries can be trusted with them, some can't
tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tuanies »

Because there's minimal gains for US consumption. I've driven a couple cars with start/stop tech, a BMW X3 xDrive28i, Kia Optima Hybrid, Jaguar F-Type and XJL, and hated it. It's not transparent at all and yields like a 1mpg improvement, not enough to justify his terrible the experience is.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tuanies wrote:Because there's minimal gains for US consumption. I've driven a couple cars with start/stop tech, a BMW X3 xDrive28i, Kia Optima Hybrid, Jaguar F-Type and XJL, and hated it. It's not transparent at all and yields like a 1mpg improvement, not enough to justify his terrible the experience is.

I like it, don't have any problems with it at all
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

tuanies wrote:Because there's minimal gains for US consumption.
The reason the US PCX doesn't have stop start has got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with consumption.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
tuanies wrote:Because there's minimal gains for US consumption.
The reason the US PCX doesn't have stop start has got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with consumption.
Food or petrol :D
Honda4me

Post by Honda4me »

Scoot Car Wagon V6 V8
l/100km 3 5 7 12 15
MPG 100 60 40 24 19

kms/yr 20000 20000 20000 20000 20000
$/litre $1.50 $1.50 $1.50 $1.50 $1.50

ltrs/yr 600 1000 1400 2400 3000
$/yr $900.00 $1,500.00 $2,100.00 $3,600.00 $4,500.00
$/month $75.00 $125.00 $175.00 $300.00 $375.00
$/wk $17.31 $28.85 $40.38 $69.23 $86.54

I did some basic math on this a while back. Basically I think most people have a "comfort zone" in how much they think is acceptable to spend on fuel. For most of us the difference in 1 or 2 mpg is negligible over the year. But, there's a HUGE difference between someone driving 80,000kms a year in say a V6 car against a frugal scooter. You could buy a new scooter each year and fuel it up too with the savings.

However, for folks like me who (I used to drive 50,000 MILES per year) who now drive <15,000kms in a year, perhaps the difference is not so much enabling a wider choice of wheels to fit the budget.

For me though, it's about smiles per miles and I'd rather be sitting on a scoot, motorbike or bicycle enjoying my life than stuck in traffic in a tin box listening to propaganda and shit on the radio with all the other sheep.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

strkngfang wrote:How is it safer having this on a car & not a scoot.
To access the throttle of a typical car the door must first be unlocked and then you must generally get in and be seated in the driver's seat. Doing so you would be able to have full control of the vehicle. That is in general of course. On a motorcycle, however; the throttle is much more accessible and in general there is no easy way to lock out access to the throttle. Also the throttle can easily be operated without being seated on the motorcycle.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I use it every day and have no problems with it at all. It's a great system.
snake

Post by snake »

I think it's fine, although I agree the gains are minimal in any country. If you don't like it, you can always turn it off but I leave it on all the time. I exclusively drive in the city and I like it not so much for fuel economy, but it's quite nice to have a little peace and quiet when I stop at the lights or at the side of the road, flip my visor up, look around, enjoy my city and then carry on.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

in a 40 minute commute. i am stopped at stoplights for at least 10-15 minutes even after filtering, etc. there is a fuel and emissions savings but i realize it is not huge. the point is that the idle stop system works so damn well, there is no reason not to have it and use it.

it is a bit dangerous though if you are careless. a PCX owner in my neighborhood didnt disable it when he was pushing the bike and it ended up going through a big glass pane window when he accidentally twisted the throttle.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

haildamage wrote:in a 40 minute commute. i am stopped at stoplights for at least 10-15 minutes even after filtering, etc. there is a fuel and emissions savings but i realize it is not huge. the point is that the idle stop system works so damn well, there is no reason not to have it and use it.

it is a bit dangerous though if you are careless. a PCX owner in my neighborhood didnt disable it when he was pushing the bike and it ended up going through a big glass pane window when he accidentally twisted the throttle.
Totally agree

Some people could cut themselves on a butter knife. Shouldn't spoil it for others