Having a weird scratching noise when driving with passenger

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

A1ex

Having a weird scratching noise when driving with passenger

Post by A1ex »

Hello guys! I have a pcx 125 here in Thailand, its a cool ride, has 42.000 km on the clock, recently changed the variator and the belt. So it runs very smoothly now. The only problem remains is the weird scratching sound from inside the bike when there is a passenger at the back (im 80 and she is 50 kilos). it only happens when the bike is at the speed between 20 to 40 km/h and im not giving it much acceleration. When i ride it alone it seems fine. Does any one of you guys have experienced the same problem or might have some advice what could be the problem? Thank you all for your ideas!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Having a weird scratching noise when driving with passen

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry, no advice for you on the one ... but welcome to hondapcx.org ... what part of Thailand do you live in?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums!

Can you get a video of the noise?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

maddiedog wrote:Can you get a video of the noise?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

I would place a couple of larger people on the seat with the bike stationary (and not on the stand) and have them move up and down to compress and decompress the shocks.
Could it be some of the plastic weather masking inside the bodywork rubbing on the shocks? The sound would be most easily noticed before you got up to speed.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

A1ex wrote:Hello guys! I have a pcx 125 here in Thailand, its a cool ride, has 42.000 km on the clock, recently changed the variator and the belt. So it runs very smoothly now. The only problem remains is the weird scratching sound from inside the bike when there is a passenger at the back (im 80 and she is 50 kilos). it only happens when the bike is at the speed between 20 to 40 km/h and im not giving it much acceleration. When i ride it alone it seems fine. Does any one of you guys have experienced the same problem or might have some advice what could be the problem? Thank you all for your ideas!
So you had the problem before and after the variator and belt change?
prenders88

Post by prenders88 »

Might need a suspension upgrade
A1ex

Post by A1ex »

Thanx for the welcoming everyone :) I live on Koh Samui by the way. I have asked a few people here on the island and they said they have it too once in a while, they would refer it to some flaw in design of the first pcx generation. The sound would be impossible to record, since it goes more like a vibration over the middle part of the bike's body. And it only appears at the very low revs. so i guess as someone said it here on the forum "it is not a bug it is a feature" :) Might wanna try to change the stock shock absorbers for the better ones, will see how it goes.
tanz16
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tanz16 »

Hi I have the exact same problem with the new model of the PCX, did you ever get this solved?