Quiet-Exhaust Recommendations Anyone?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Quiet-Exhaust Recommendations Anyone?

Post by redwind »

Hi all,

I'm looking for an exhaust that is quieter than the one that comes with the Honda PCX 125 (2013). I don't know much about scoots or bikes, so i'd really appreciate details.

And for those whom are UK-based, perhaps some links? I've written to a few online retailers without response unfortunately, and most opinion i've seen on the net seem inclined toward louder exhausts.

Thanks muchos! :)

ed
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Quiet-Exhaust Recommendations Anyone?

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Unfortunately your most likely out of luck. Aftermarket exhausts are geared towards reducing back pressure to increase performance. This means lighter and less packing along with larger diameter pipe which translates into more decibels. I have fitted a takegawa silent sport (the black one) and it gives roughly the same sound as the stock exhaust except that it is ever so slightly louder. You can hear the exhaust over the engine now.
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Unfortunately your most likely out of luck. Aftermarket exhausts are geared towards reducing back pressure to increase performance. This means lighter and less packing along with larger diameter pipe which translates into more decibels. I have fitted a takegawa silent sport (the black one) and it gives roughly the same sound as the stock exhaust except that it is ever so slightly louder. You can hear the exhaust over the engine now.
Thanks for the pointers Mgalutia about 'back pressure', 'increased performance' and hence, increased decibels. Back pressure reduction would certainly be good. The Takegawa silent sport is quite like the stock - from what i see on youtube - and as you say, slightly louder. I was thinking about an IXIL - http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/IX ... 15674.html or the Arrow - http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/Ar ... 16177.html

I was told by a retailer here that that Yoshimuras are much louder.
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The main thing for me was a 1hp increase at the top of the powerband. Definetly noticeable. On top of that how cheap the takegawa was.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You will not find a quieter pipe than the standard one.
The only valid reason to buy an aftermarket replacement would be if the original was seriously damaged and had to be replaced to pass an MoT.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Gn2, many aftermarket pipes are made of stainless and aluminum. They do not have the rusting problems of the stock pipe.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The stock pipe is as quiet as it gets.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Gn2, many aftermarket pipes are made of stainless and aluminum. They do not have the rusting problems of the stock pipe.
Which is why after the original has rusted through or been accident damaged its worth considering buying one as a replacement instead of another original.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Very true Gn2
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

I was shocked at just how quiet the PCX is, doing shift work i think my neighbors appreciate it when im setting off at 4am!

My only recommendation would be to get a push bike!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

redwind wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:Unfortunately your most likely out of luck. Aftermarket exhausts are geared towards reducing back pressure to increase performance. This means lighter and less packing along with larger diameter pipe which translates into more decibels. I have fitted a takegawa silent sport (the black one) and it gives roughly the same sound as the stock exhaust except that it is ever so slightly louder. You can hear the exhaust over the engine now.
Thanks for the pointers Mgalutia about 'back pressure', 'increased performance' and hence, increased decibels. Back pressure reduction would certainly be good. The Takegawa silent sport is quite like the stock - from what i see on youtube - and as you say, slightly louder. I was thinking about an IXIL - http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/IX ... 15674.html or the Arrow - http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/Ar ... 16177.html

I was told by a retailer here that that Yoshimuras are much louder.
Reducing back pressure isn't necessarily a good thing.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

you you wrote:Reducing back pressure isn't necessarily a good thing.
It is in the case of a quiet 4 stroke but only if the mixture can adapt and at the expense of more noise.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

I chuckle at how quiet this bike is. I can't imagine any aftermarket pipe (usually installed for a performance gain) could be quieter.

Most of my riding on the PCX is at 45 mph or less. Very little wind noise in the helmet at those speeds. I put some ear plugs in the other day, knowing I was going to have to ride across a 2 1/2 mile causeway, with a 55 mph speed limit, and a gusty crosswind. And, you better be doing 55 across that causeway or you'll get run over. At less than 25 mph, I had to really listen to hear the motor with the ear plugs in. These scoots are blissfully quiet!

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

if you want to get much quieter than a PCX with the stock pipe, you need to be looking at electric scoots!
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

Thanks all! :)

....so the stock pipes are as quiet as it gets. On that point, i'm considering sticking to my stock pipe....till it rusts at least. However....

On a related note, are there any significant performance/efficiency increases that would still make an upgrade worthy of consideration?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Takegawa silent sport is about a 1hp increase in the upper rpms.
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Takegawa silent sport is about a 1hp increase in the upper rpms.
Thanks Mgalutia.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

redwind wrote: On a related note, are there any significant performance/efficiency increases that would still make an upgrade worthy of consideration?
No.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

gn2 wrote:
redwind wrote: On a related note, are there any significant performance/efficiency increases that would still make an upgrade worthy of consideration?
No.
Not even upgrading to a Forza?
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

gn2 wrote:
No.
Lighter rollers/sliders.

At $35 shipped for Dr Pulley sliders (try EBay), it's cheap, won't increase exhaust noise yet give it a bit more poke where the engine spins higher to be at the sweet spot. Can't spend $3x and get back that much on any other mod.