PCX 150 Further mods

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX 150 Further mods

Post by waspmike »

Mel,

$60 doesn't seem outrageous? Shock absorbers are quite heavy. If someone can tell us how heavy shocks are you can go here and find out how much postage is
http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I'm currently thinking that the torque cam may actually not be a great idea. It adds too much top end and so unless you start really tuning in the weights its a pain. With an NCY variator WITH the torque cam and 10.5g average weight in the variator I can hit 80mph. Now the only real issue is that its hard to cruise at 75 with that setup. You lose too much top end with the extension in ratios. I run 8200rpm at 75mph, its just WAY too low RPM. Im thinking that I will try the NCY outter pulley with the Yuminashi variator to see what happens since it runs several hundred RPMs higher anyway.

I have not gotten to really decide where to start my testing with this as my engine is internally stock and the bike is still captive at the dealer.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I'm currently thinking that the torque cam may actually not be a great idea. It adds too much top end and so unless you start really tuning in the weights its a pain. With an NCY variator WITH the torque cam and 10.5g average weight in the variator I can hit 80mph. Now the only real issue is that its hard to cruise at 75 with that setup. You lose too much top end with the extension in ratios. I run 8200rpm at 75mph, its just WAY too low RPM. Im thinking that I will try the NCY outter pulley with the Yuminashi variator to see what happens since it runs several hundred RPMs higher anyway.

I have not gotten to really decide where to start my testing with this as my engine is internally stock and the bike is still captive at the dealer.
Why is your scoot at the dealer for?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:Would one of our members living in Thailand please check the following site to see if there is a way these Takegawa lowering shocks, part number 06-04-0034 can be shipped to the United States, please? No one seems to ship these to us except that website mentioned previously, which has a rip off shipping price of $60 for a pair of shocks. The website is http://www.bcmotors.co.the/products--236840-1.HTML
I tried connecting through the link (with the 'e' deleted) but it still comes up with a 4014 Not Found error. Can you pm me the proper URL and I would be happy to look it up for you and see if I can get them here in Thailand. I could the let you know a shipping cost.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:That is suppose to be bcmotors.co.th/ Just look for the part number once you are there. The one ending in 0032 is chrome. I am interested in the red one. It ends in 0034.
I found them. They are priced at 3,760 Thai baht (about $120 US). I think I would have to start checking out before I got a shipping price. If you check out the other site listed above for shipping costs, it might give you an idea to get them sent to the US.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Spoke with my dealer mechanic directly today as its been almost a month that they have had my bike. Sure I have missed it, at the same time I am understanding. The last test ride the mechanic took the PCX on, at 47 mph it died as usual however wont start now. SO new development, the cut out is now a no start situation. I am hoping that this will quicken the process as to diagnose. In my mind there is fuel, spark, and computer control. You isolate the fuel pump and check its function, worst scenario with a direct 12 volt power source. You can check for a crank signal from the sensor directly, and you can check the coil primary and secondary resistance. From that point it must be a computer in my mind. The starter works so that eliminates the CBS switch malfunction otherwise the starter wouldn't work.

I'm hopping for news by the end of next week. The dealer process in my neck of the woods is that the mechanic must have any warranty repair approved through Honda before the repair can be made. This means a time slot is scheduled for my bike to be serviced, then there has to be a call made to Honda's tech line for further direction in troubleshooting at this point, then another time slot needs to be scheduled. This means they may be able to look at my bike twice a week. I have my Porsche 944 running again and the first autocross of the season if this comming weekend. I'm distracted for the time being :P
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Spoke with my dealer mechanic directly today as its been almost a month that they have had my bike. Sure I have missed it, at the same time I am understanding. The last test ride the mechanic took the PCX on, at 47 mph it died as usual however wont start now. SO new development, the cut out is now a no start situation. I am hoping that this will quicken the process as to diagnose. In my mind there is fuel, spark, and computer control. You isolate the fuel pump and check its function, worst scenario with a direct 12 volt power source. You can check for a crank signal from the sensor directly, and you can check the coil primary and secondary resistance. From that point it must be a computer in my mind. The starter works so that eliminates the CBS switch malfunction otherwise the starter wouldn't work.

I'm hopping for news by the end of next week. The dealer process in my neck of the woods is that the mechanic must have any warranty repair approved through Honda before the repair can be made. This means a time slot is scheduled for my bike to be serviced, then there has to be a call made to Honda's tech line for further direction in troubleshooting at this point, then another time slot needs to be scheduled. This means they may be able to look at my bike twice a week. I have my Porsche 944 running again and the first autocross of the season if this comming weekend. I'm distracted for the time being :P

So what is your next tuning mod?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

After considering this thread concerning the lowering shocks, I will probably order them from J-Parts and pay the $60 shipping fee. However, it wont be for a little while as it is now time for my 7500 mile service on my Burgman, and there is also a noise coming from the rear end, which I hope is not the rear bearing. It started making the sound shortly after I had the rear tire changed. In any case, it is $250 to do the 7500 mile service because there are more things to do on it than on the pcx. I could do many of them but I am not as familiar with the Burgman as I want to be, and the guy who usually helps me lives on the other side of town and works 6 days week. In fact, I havent heard from him this year. I guess I should check on him. Dave, feel like helping for a fee??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I forgot to ask, is there a big bore kit for the 150? If so, where? I know the 125 has one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Got the bike back last weekend. I'm currently feeling it back out. My next mod will be a pair of pirelli diablo tires followed by replacement of the aftermarket torque driver with the stock one and trying the yuminashi variator again with the gates belt to see if it eliminates low end belt slip. Following that will be a takegawa 170cc big bore kit.

Mel you can get the kit for $400 on webike with the cam. I believe it will be more for you as you don't have the fuel controller yet.

Have you seen Maddiedog's pcx yet?

Maddiedog, how is your 170cc running?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Got the bike back last weekend. I'm currently feeling it back out. My next mod will be a pair of pirelli diablo tires followed by replacement of the aftermarket torque driver with the stock one and trying the yuminashi variator again with the gates belt to see if it eliminates low end belt slip. Following that will be a takegawa 170cc big bore kit.

Mel you can get the kit for $400 on webike with the cam. I believe it will be more for you as you don't have the fuel controller yet.

Have you seen Maddiedog's pcx yet?

Maddiedog, how is your 170cc running?
So what was wrong with yours then? Im glad they've sorted it out...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If the weather starts cooperating we will be going over to see Dave's upgrades some time this week. The last msg I got from him said that he had torn it down again to put in steeper gearing. I bet it will be a little rocket when he gets done. I just hope that there will be as good a kit when I am ready to upgrade ours. Right now I am still breaking in my new PCX, so my wife's is leaving me in the dust. I won't upgrade either for awhile, at least until we decide how much we want to do with them. If we are just going to be doing local riding we might not need the extra power, though it would be great to have it if we need it. If we wanted to ride on freeways or long straightaways I would really love that extra power.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

What was wrong? A bad spark plug misfiring under load. It eventually completely melted itself down.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:What was wrong? A bad spark plug misfiring under load. It eventually completely melted itself down.
What kind of Spark Plug was in there?
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Mel46 wrote:I forgot to ask, is there a big bore kit for the 150? If so, where?
Why Yes....yes there is.

The 175cc cylinder kit for the 150:

http://www.yuminashi.com/-pcx150-esp-cylinder-kits/

Yeee Haw!!

Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

there is a takegawa 170cc kit, a yuminashi 175cc kit and a RZ Racing 175cc kit. RZ Racing also sells 190cc stroker big bore combo kits.

The plug was a new Brisk Racing plug with less than 100 miles on it. For the first 30-50 miles it ran great.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Question from someone who knows nothing about engine size, other than bigger is more powerful... how fast could a 175cc or 190cc engine go?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The other point is compression. You have to do something about fuel delivery with a big bore kit to run right. It gives more power not more rpms so you still need variator and or gearing mods.

I have an aftermarket variator and a kn planning torque driver on my 150. This allows a top speed on the stand of 89mph. The yuminashi variator alone moved top speed on the stand to 81 mph. At the same time the NCY variator with the torque driver allows me to hit 80 mph down hill and 75-77 mph on a flat.

Your gearing gives you head room and your power gets you there. All I have is an intake and exhaust wih a piggy back fuel controller for engine mods.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dustin91 wrote:Question from someone who knows nothing about engine size, other than bigger is more powerful... how fast could a 175cc or 190cc engine go?

Watch moto3?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

you you wrote:
dustin91 wrote:Question from someone who knows nothing about engine size, other than bigger is more powerful... how fast could a 175cc or 190cc engine go?

Watch moto3?
I'm in GN2 mode.

I was mulling the above statement in the shower this morning and it's relevance to PCX performance.

A 1400cc F1 engine produced, in race trim, about 1000 hp. In contrast a Skoda Fabia 1.4 TSI produces about 180hp.

So using your analogy if a Fabia driver wants to know the potential of his vehicle he should watch F1 or maybe GP3?

Watching Moto3 is fun and sure a Moto 3 is 250 and may produce about 50HP but of little relevance to a bored out PCX.