Tire Size?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Tire Size?

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

gn2 wrote:A private sale might net you more cash than trading it in.
New rear tyre makes for easier sale at higher price.
Problem is my payoff is like $3800 and so if I sold privately, I would have to cough up (credit card??) the difference to get the title for the new owner...whereas on a trade, it would get rolled into the financing, which would be lower interest rate than credit card. Not sure what I could sell it for, thinking about $2000. The Dealer is offering about $1700...so $300 difference.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sorry but you lost me four words in.
Payoff?
Title?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

gn2 wrote:Sorry but you lost me four words in.
Payoff?
Title?
I financed my PCX through Honda Financial. I owe on the loan- more than its worth. The Title is the paper that shows ownership. Until the loan is paid in full, Honda holds the title.
Does this help? Or was you joking?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No I wasn't joking, you speak a different language.
So if I have it correct you owe Honda $3800 on a scooter with a trade in value of $1700 which you don't own?
This effectively means you need to pay Honda two grand to come and take their scooter away.
Keep it till the loan is paid off or at least untill such time as you can sell it for enough to clear the loan in full.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

kramnala58 wrote:
GeeGusKahn wrote:Hay Kramnala, on your front city grip, did you go up in size or stay with the 90/90 ?
Sean ... I put the 120/70 on the front and the 140/70 on the back. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it lifted the rear splash guard slightly but did nothing with the front fender. A few months ago I swapped out the front fender because I like the look of the new one better. When I took the old on off I could see where the tire had rubbed it slightly, but it may have been the previous tires that did that. In my opinion, 120/70 on the front and 140/70 on the back is as large as you should gou without expecting to make mods.

All the best,
Mark

So 140/70/14 is the biggest you can go in the rear on the stock rim? I've been having a difficult time finding the 120's/70/14. Never mind i've been using the motorcyclesuperstore and had to include the "Front" tire in my search. How do you like the 140's? How difficult was it to get the tire on to the rim? I've done my own tires in the past.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/50 ... 0-8_5-7_14
chrisdurand

Post by chrisdurand »

gn2 wrote:An OEM rear tyre lasts roughly 4500-7000 miles.
Michelin CityGrip rear should last much longer.
i might want to give mine a check then as i just turned 9000 on the original tire ........
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chrisdurand wrote:
gn2 wrote:An OEM rear tyre lasts roughly 4500-7000 miles.
Michelin CityGrip rear should last much longer.
i might want to give mine a check then as i just turned 9000 on the original tire ........

You don't want to get in the way of gn2s opinions.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You don't want to be riding on a baldy tyre either.
chrisdurand

Post by chrisdurand »

gn2 wrote:You don't want to be riding on a baldy tyre either.
in responce i said in my mind "i wish i would have remembered how deep the pattern was" so i could sorta have a better idea of how far gone the tire was.....i have been into pedal bikes for decades so i know when its time to replace a worn out tire. The scoot's tire has lost its round / oval profile on the contact area and is more flat........but in short i guess its time to get a new one..... :D will it be tomorrow? no probaly not......but soon?...yes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:No I wasn't joking, you speak a different language.
So if I have it correct you owe Honda $3800 on a scooter with a trade in value of $1700 which you don't own?
This effectively means you need to pay Honda two grand to come and take their scooter away.
Keep it till the loan is paid off or at least untill such time as you can sell it for enough to clear the loan in full.
I second this. Why would you ever EVER trade up when you still owe more value than the trade? That's a miserably idiotic financial strategy. Bikes only decline in value -- you're going to drive off the lot with a new Forza, and lose $1000 immediately from tax + new bike depreciation, meaning your Forza is going to essentially cost you $3k more than it should.

Keep your PCX. Pay your bills. o_O
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 wrote:You don't want to be riding on a baldy tyre either.
We calls them "sneakers" (baldy) round here. C'mon, go git new tyres! "Live" a little >>>> Longer ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Left tire stock rear, right tire upgraded to the 140/70/14

Left tire new size 120/70/14, compared to stock tire mounted on bike

Final profile on stand of both new tires installed

Since the tires are wider and taller the ride is actually much smoother. Only down size is there is no more rotating mass. So it's not as pep as it was with the smaller tires. I'm still able to hit 77mph downhill full ninja tuck and not hit the rev limiter. Also this has changed the accuracy of speedo because the size difference.

I have also notice the bike doesn't feel all the stupid lines in the road especially on the freeway like the skinny tires did.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

No rubbing?
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

you you wrote:No rubbing?
No rubbing at all, maybe 1/4 gap and have not noticed anything when i hit bumps. Also was able to keep the rear fender attached to the engine case... Lower rear fender.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

I have about ¼ inch clearance on the lower rear fender. The front fender is about the same. I have not had any issues with dips or bumps in the road either. I am satisfied with the outcome.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dem0nk1d wrote:
No rubbing at all, maybe 1/4 gap and have not noticed anything when i hit bumps. Also was able to keep the rear fender attached to the engine case... Lower rear fender.

Cheers. Good bit of info on max tyre sizes
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

dem0nk1d wrote:Left tire stock rear, right tire upgraded to the 140/70/14

Since the tires are wider and taller the ride is actually much smoother. Only down size is there is no more rotating mass. So it's not as pep as it was with the smaller tires. I'm still able to hit 77mph downhill full ninja tuck and not hit the rev limiter. Also this has changed the accuracy of speedo because the size difference.

I have also notice the bike doesn't feel all the stupid lines in the road especially on the freeway like the skinny tires did.
8) , Go Big or Go Home! :lol:

You should gps verify... your 77mph should actually be 81 real mph now...( your speedo should be 4mph off now)
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Can you take a pic of the rear tire semi-close up directly from behind? Would like to see how the profile is!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

ScooterMan wrote:Can you take a pic of the rear tire semi-close up directly from behind? Would like to see how the profile is!
I have a 140/70/14 on mine. Does this pic help?
PCX 007.jpg
PCX 007.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I do like the look of a wider tire on the PCX. How does it handle in turns?