VERY close call Yesterday!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

VERY close call Yesterday!

Post by Mel46 »

Yesterday we decided to drop off the PCX 150 for a tire change. It had 7200 miles on the original tire and it was slipping in the corners. We bought a City Grip online (much cheaper than the dealer wanted) and carried it along strapped to the back. Anyway, I followed my wife on my Burgman 400. Once we dropped off the bike we went off to lunch 2 up. The place we went to eat at was about a mile away from the shop. When we got the call that the bike was ready, we hopped on the Burgman and headed back. There were multiple entrances and exits to strip malls along the way, each with a light. The road itself was a 4 lane with a median. As we were coming up on one of those lights, which was green I saw a lady in a Camry looking toward her back seat, talking to her kids, while pulling out into traffic (Right on red after stop is the law. She was ignoring the STOP part.) As I got closer, she accelerated into my lane, still not looking. I was going 45 mph and had a distance of 1 yard to stop in... no way to do that with 2 people on the bike. I looked to my left and there was a car beside me. I looked in my mirror and there was a truck on my tail. I opened the throttle and moved to the white line just as her car's bumper reached my lane. I missed her by inches. The truck behind me locked his brakes and moved over to the left, barely missing the tail of the car beside me. I looked in my mirror and the woman was waving 'sorry' to everyone. Geez lady! Sorry would have done a lot of good if she had hit me. The big truck would not have had anywhere to go, and not only would my wife and I be garbage on the road, you can bet her kids would not have come out well either, especially if the dump truck had hit her! I am sooo glad I have had a lot of experience on bikes....and thank you Burgman for putting such a great bike together.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Los82

Re: VERY close call Yesterday!

Post by Los82 »

Glad you made it through unscathed. Had many close calls like yours. Always thankful to make it home safe. Always have to ride defensively. Good job keeping the wife safe.
Previous - 1984 Honda Spree, 1987 Honda VFR Interceptor, 1986 Honda Elite 80, 1984 Honda Elite 125, 2000 Suzuki GSXR-600

Current - 2011 Honda PCX 125, 2001 Suzuki GSXR-1000
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Glad you guys are OK Mel.

Jeez! :(
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

This is all to common for all of us and others that don't make it home to read these forums. Personally I watch those people and slow down until I'm sure that they are going to make a smart choice or a dumb one and I'm able to either stop or go around. I do realize that this is not always possible. It's really sad how stupid people are.

Is it me or the safer we make things the more stupid people act?
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Pucker factor 9.8...still got a high ridge in the seat? Glad you are ok and we can laugh about it now.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
Mochi

Post by Mochi »

I dunno why I get really angry every time I hear stories like this, at least ur ok!!
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Always ride as if every other motorist is out to kill you.

P.S. Glad you're safe, Mel & Wife.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

Last May I was going down a road in the right lane. There was traffic in the left lane because of a lighted road construction arrow sign pointing to enter the left lane. But I knew as you got close to the sign there was a third lane that opened up to make a right turn at the light. So I stayed in the right lane. A block before the turn lane, someone traveling the other direction on the other side of the road turned left. She was stopped from crossing the road because of the traffic on the left lane. I couldn't see her and she couldn't see me. Someone in a truck in the left lane stopped to let her cross. She proceeded and didn't stop to see if the lane I was in was clear. She cut right across the road and I tried to stop only to slam in to the rear passenger door of her car. That totaled my second Elite 110 and that's how I ended up with my PCX in June.

2 years before that one I was on a four lane road divide by a canal. I was behind a car at a light and the light turned green. The car started off and I started off. Then the care screeched to a semi halt and swerved around a garbage can that just blew in the road. It ended up spinning around in front of me. I tried to miss it and it caught the right side of my Elite 110 and caused it to lay down and slide and the front fender hit the rear bumper of the car ahead of me. That totaled my first Elite 110.

About a year before that I was coming off an expressway on my first Honda Elite 110, the exit ramp at some time in the past had a railroad track that crossed it, but the train line had been closed and tracks removed. Only thing was the train tracks were still in the exit ramp, they were just cut off on each side of the road way. The road was concrete till you got closer to the tracks in the road. That's where the blacktop bunched up and over time formed a 5mph speed bump which I didn't see at 7:30 at night. It was 500yards to the traffic signal when the light turned green. I was doing 30mph. I hit the bump and the front tire went off the ground a bit, then the back tire it the bump pushing the rear end of the bike straight into the air. My life looked like it was going to be over so I ducked my head. The scooter crashed on to the ground between the headlight and the handle bars and then bounced backup into the air and came back around and landed on both wheels. I hit the brakes came to a complete stop. I was stunned and didn't put my feet out and the bike just fell over on its side. I got up without a scratch on me and the only damage on the bike was where it hit the ground. I called 911 and a police officer came out. He didn't believe what I told him, which was really stupid, because of the only location of damage on the bike. He gave me a ticket for failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle. Gee that was nice. Like it was my fault? I went to court and waited to se the attorney. He looked at the police report and threw it out.

2 years before that I was riding my fourth Elite 80 on a six lane divided road. in the center of the three lanes traveling south. A lady comes to a stop sign and does a rolling stop. She couldn't see me in her blind spot, she turned right and turned out into the middle lane. I tried to avoid her by veering in to the other lane but it happened so quick I couldn't compensate. I ended up hitting the square curb of the roadway end flew off the bike into the median. The bike ended up sliding along the curb and took some bad damage totaling it out. That's when I got my first Elite 110.

Before that I my second Elite 80 was dying because of poor maintenance and I sold that one and bought my third one

It was at a previous event 4 years prior to that on my second Elite 80 that I was traveling down the road and a plastic shopping bag was blowing around in the wind and got caught on my mirror, blowing in front of my face. I reached over with my left hand and grabbed the bag and threw it behind me put my hand back in the handle bar looked up and a van that was a ways ahead of me slowed down to make a right turn. I was about 10 feet from it. I pulled over to the side of the road and hit the breaks. Only the side of the road wasn't blacktop, it was gravel. That caused the scooter to lay down and it fell and my left knee got trapped between it and the road. It shattered the top of my left tibia. I was in the hospital for a month, a rehab hospital for a month and a nursing home for a month. I got out and was able to go home and maneuver myself around the house on a walker. Two weeks later and Hurricane Katrina hit. I ended up evacuating to a motel 6 in Marshal Texas. I got back home and semi fixed the second elite 80 and used it for a while longer but it was beginning to have problems. I gave it to a friend when I bought my third Elite 80. Before my second Elite 80, I had driven cars for many years.

It was in 1988 that my dad purchased my first used Elite 80 from the dealership It was a 1987 had been traded in. I was driving back and forth to community college on a six lane divide highway and a lady did like my most recent accident in May. She was running late to work at a restaurant. She thought she could make it across the road. She zoomed across leaving the tail end of her car in my lane as she was stopped on the on the cross street waiting for people who were getting their cars valet parked by at the restaurant. There was a car on my left and a square curb on my right and the rear end of her Honda Accord in front of me. I hit the brakes, slammed into her car. The scooter stayed there and I went flying over the handle bars, over her trunk and landed in the street. That totaled my first scooter after only having it for 8 months.

My uncle told me when I got it, if your ever in an accident and its not your fault, it will be a woman driver that caused the accident. He was right on the money there! No offense meant to any women here on the forum.

But You know I hardly had scratch on me except the time I collided with the plastic shopping bag LOL.

Hmm, my next accident is probably a year and a few months away. LOL

The bank loves me because I keep gap coverage on my loans and they keep getting paid off early. I have really good credit. No moving violations. :-D

Anyone want to ride along with me and keep a video camera focused on my scooter. I would have loved to have had that front flip caught on camera so I could actually see it myself.
-Rob

Currently own: 2013 PCX 150
Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Rob,
Keep your life insurance paid up.
You could get a dash cam or even a dash cam mounted on the back of the bike(facing forward). Most of the models will loop the video and many models will stop once an impact is detected.
Larry

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Slickvic wrote:Always ride as if every other motorist is out to kill you.

P.S. Glad you're safe, Mel & Wife.

No. Ride to enjoy yourself. Why ride of everyone is out to kill you?

The only person that is likely to harm yourself on a bike is you. And generally less than five miles from home.

So you and your home are flipping dangerous.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cfrobw wrote:Last May I was going down a road in the right lane. There was traffic in the left lane because of a lighted road construction arrow sign pointing to enter the left lane. But I knew as you got close to the sign there was a third lane that opened up to make a right turn at the light. So I stayed in the right lane. A block before the turn lane, someone traveling the other direction on the other side of the road turned left. She was stopped from crossing the road because of the traffic on the left lane. I couldn't see her and she couldn't see me. Someone in a truck in the left lane stopped to let her cross. She proceeded and didn't stop to see if the lane I was in was clear. She cut right across the road and I tried to stop only to slam in to the rear passenger door of her car. That totaled my second Elite 110 and that's how I ended up with my PCX in June.

2 years before that one I was on a four lane road divide by a canal. I was behind a car at a light and the light turned green. The car started off and I started off. Then the care screeched to a semi halt and swerved around a garbage can that just blew in the road. It ended up spinning around in front of me. I tried to miss it and it caught the right side of my Elite 110 and caused it to lay down and slide and the front fender hit the rear bumper of the car ahead of me. That totaled my first Elite 110.

About a year before that I was coming off an expressway on my first Honda Elite 110, the exit ramp at some time in the past had a railroad track that crossed it, but the train line had been closed and tracks removed. Only thing was the train tracks were still in the exit ramp, they were just cut off on each side of the road way. The road was concrete till you got closer to the tracks in the road. That's where the blacktop bunched up and over time formed a 5mph speed bump which I didn't see at 7:30 at night. It was 500yards to the traffic signal when the light turned green. I was doing 30mph. I hit the bump and the front tire went off the ground a bit, then the back tire it the bump pushing the rear end of the bike straight into the air. My life looked like it was going to be over so I ducked my head. The scooter crashed on to the ground between the headlight and the handle bars and then bounced backup into the air and came back around and landed on both wheels. I hit the brakes came to a complete stop. I was stunned and didn't put my feet out and the bike just fell over on its side. I got up without a scratch on me and the only damage on the bike was where it hit the ground. I called 911 and a police officer came out. He didn't believe what I told him, which was really stupid, because of the only location of damage on the bike. He gave me a ticket for failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle. Gee that was nice. Like it was my fault? I went to court and waited to se the attorney. He looked at the police report and threw it out.

2 years before that I was riding my fourth Elite 80 on a six lane divided road. in the center of the three lanes traveling south. A lady comes to a stop sign and does a rolling stop. She couldn't see me in her blind spot, she turned right and turned out into the middle lane. I tried to avoid her by veering in to the other lane but it happened so quick I couldn't compensate. I ended up hitting the square curb of the roadway end flew off the bike into the median. The bike ended up sliding along the curb and took some bad damage totaling it out. That's when I got my first Elite 110.

Before that I my second Elite 80 was dying because of poor maintenance and I sold that one and bought my third one

It was at a previous event 4 years prior to that on my second Elite 80 that I was traveling down the road and a plastic shopping bag was blowing around in the wind and got caught on my mirror, blowing in front of my face. I reached over with my left hand and grabbed the bag and threw it behind me put my hand back in the handle bar looked up and a van that was a ways ahead of me slowed down to make a right turn. I was about 10 feet from it. I pulled over to the side of the road and hit the breaks. Only the side of the road wasn't blacktop, it was gravel. That caused the scooter to lay down and it fell and my left knee got trapped between it and the road. It shattered the top of my left tibia. I was in the hospital for a month, a rehab hospital for a month and a nursing home for a month. I got out and was able to go home and maneuver myself around the house on a walker. Two weeks later and Hurricane Katrina hit. I ended up evacuating to a motel 6 in Marshal Texas. I got back home and semi fixed the second elite 80 and used it for a while longer but it was beginning to have problems. I gave it to a friend when I bought my third Elite 80. Before my second Elite 80, I had driven cars for many years.

It was in 1988 that my dad purchased my first used Elite 80 from the dealership It was a 1987 had been traded in. I was driving back and forth to community college on a six lane divide highway and a lady did like my most recent accident in May. She was running late to work at a restaurant. She thought she could make it across the road. She zoomed across leaving the tail end of her car in my lane as she was stopped on the on the cross street waiting for people who were getting their cars valet parked by at the restaurant. There was a car on my left and a square curb on my right and the rear end of her Honda Accord in front of me. I hit the brakes, slammed into her car. The scooter stayed there and I went flying over the handle bars, over her trunk and landed in the street. That totaled my first scooter after only having it for 8 months.

My uncle told me when I got it, if your ever in an accident and its not your fault, it will be a woman driver that caused the accident. He was right on the money there! No offense meant to any women here on the forum.

But You know I hardly had scratch on me except the time I collided with the plastic shopping bag LOL.

Hmm, my next accident is probably a year and a few months away. LOL

The bank loves me because I keep gap coverage on my loans and they keep getting paid off early. I have really good credit. No moving violations. :-D

Anyone want to ride along with me and keep a video camera focused on my scooter. I would have loved to have had that front flip caught on camera so I could actually see it myself.
Perhaps take some additional training?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

cfrobw wrote: Anyone want to ride along with me and keep a video camera focused on my scooter. I would have loved to have had that front flip caught on camera so I could actually see it myself.
cfrobw
Been to Kenner many times while transiting to the Gulf. Seen the driving, and would not like to ride a scooter there.

David
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have ridden in New Orleans and it is not a safe place. I owned a couple of motorcycles when I lived there and I figured out early that there are an awful lot of drunks there, as well as a lot of people without insurance. I spent a lot of time looking around me to be sure I wasn't about to be blind sided by someone. I even worried when I got on the ferry because other drivers ignored the fact that I was there and tried to park on top of me. Also, there are no shoulders on the roads in Louisiana. If I had a flat tire or had to get out of the way of a nutty driver, there was no place to go. I drove one of the back roads from New Orleans to Shreveport, enroute to Dallas, and trucks flew around me like I was a bump in the road. I called that road alligator alley because there was swamp on both sides and no shoulder. In short, them folks in that state is nuts!!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Mel46 wrote:<snip> In short, them folks in that state is nuts!!
Especially that young one in northern part of the state that has a Stang & rides a skuder!!!!!! :lol:
Larry

hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

...you want to try riding here in Pattaya...

it's like a video game, except of course if you crash, you don't necessarily get another life....
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ring, loge.....you there? Did you read what Larry said? :lol: :lol:
"Are you talkin' to Me?"......I said,.... "Are you talkin' to Me?"
You crack me up Larry ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

o_O Horror Stories (almosty)
To Mel and everyone else here that has had "close calls"......
OMG! I'd wet me pants and die! Be still my heart! Thank The Lord you're all still here to share the drama with us. I Do Not mean that sarcastically either. It Is a lot of Drama! My God! Scary (yeah I'm gonna say it) SHIT!! I've had my share, not discussing. Just praying it won't happen again to me or anyone else.
Do the Best You Can do to be Seen and ride with respect for all. Stretch out ye life.
Can I breathe now? (Wipes brow)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

willajabir wrote:
Mel46 wrote:<snip> In short, them folks in that state is nuts!!
Especially that young one in northern part of the state that has a Stang & rides a skuder!!!!!! :lol:
Lol
ImageImage
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Might not have mustang much longer. Truck would have more function. But would be missed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394816334.389385.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394816334.389385.jpg (286.28 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
ImageImage
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

you you wrote:
No. Ride to enjoy yourself. Why ride of everyone is out to kill you?

The only person that is likely to harm yourself on a bike is you. And generally less than five miles from home.

So you and your home are flipping dangerous.

Of course I ride for the enjoyment of riding, but you misunderstand.
My statement was to emphasize that nobody else on the road is looking out for your well being and safety. Always assume that they Do NOT See You! So from their point of view you are "not really there" and for all intents and purposes they may as well be out to kill you.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o