5000 Mile Service

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

5000 Mile Service

Post by cfrobw »

Okay this is crazy! I had a flat rear tire, picked up a screw. Then I was really SCREWED!!! The Honda dealer wanted $168 (parts and labor) just to change the rear tire? So I went ahead and had them change the tire and brake shoes at the same time. Then they did the 5000 mile service and a safety check and the belt was almost out of spec. There was something wrong with the brake lock so I asked them to check it, no damaged parts fortunately. So I told them to replace the belt. They had to order the belt, so I left the bike with them all apart so that I could save a little more on labor. They are supposed to get the belt in Tuesday. I asked them how much labor to change the front plastic that is scratched up from laying down. He said another hour labor. So I told him not to worry about it, I have the part at home, I will do it myself.

So they got me an IRC $55.00 aftermarket tire instead of the $114.00 Dunlop, and oem brake shoes, and belt

It was going to come out to almost $600 bucks. The 5000 mile service was $90 dollars more than at the 2500 mile service. I talked to the parts guy who is a good friend of mine. He told the service manager to give me a discount on the parts. So he gave me a discount on the parts and gave me a lower labor charge. The total is going to be $526 before tax. If they didn't have the aftermarket tire you would have added another $64.00 to the $600.

I'm definently going to get a shop manual and tool set and start doing as much work on the scooter as I can do myself.

My honda Elite 80 cost me no where near this amount and it needed service every 1000 miles. My Elite 110 was an exceptional bike needing service only every 5000 miles. This bike is going to cost more in labor then the bike is worth. Its like buying a $99 dollar inkjet printer and when the ink is out you have to spend more than the cost of the printer for more ink. When it runs out of ink, just throw the printer away and buy another.

The Elite 80 I had the shop manual and did most of the work myself except valve clearance checks and the like. The Elite 110 since it only had to be serviced every 5000 miles it wasnt that bad of an expense to have the dealer do the work.

I remember on my first Elite 80, I had the head and the side case of the motor off. It was quick and easy to work on.

Mel Maybe I could just break all the tabs off the plastic and put industrial strength velcro on them and stick them all back in place so its easy to take apart and service. LOL!
-Rob

Currently own: 2013 PCX 150
Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: 5000 Mile Service

Post by you you »

cfrobw wrote:Okay this is crazy! I had a flat rear tire, picked up a screw. Then I was really SCREWED!!! The Honda dealer wanted $168 (parts and labor) just to change the rear tire? So I went ahead and had them change the tire and brake shoes at the same time. Then they did the 5000 mile service and a safety check and the belt was almost out of spec. There was something wrong with the brake lock so I asked them to check it, no damaged parts fortunately. So I told them to replace the belt. They had to order the belt, so I left the bike with them all apart so that I could save a little more on labor. They are supposed to get the belt in Tuesday. I asked them how much labor to change the front plastic that is scratched up from laying down. He said another hour labor. So I told him not to worry about it, I have the part at home, I will do it myself.

So they got me an IRC $55.00 aftermarket tire instead of the $114.00 Dunlop, and oem brake shoes, and belt

It was going to come out to almost $600 bucks. The 5000 mile service was $90 dollars more than at the 2500 mile service. I talked to the parts guy who is a good friend of mine. He told the service manager to give me a discount on the parts. So he gave me a discount on the parts and gave me a lower labor charge. The total is going to be $526 before tax. If they didn't have the aftermarket tire you would have added another $64.00 to the $600.

I'm definently going to get a shop manual and tool set and start doing as much work on the scooter as I can do myself.

My honda Elite 80 cost me no where near this amount and it needed service every 1000 miles. My Elite 110 was an exceptional bike needing service only every 5000 miles. This bike is going to cost more in labor then the bike is worth. Its like buying a $99 dollar inkjet printer and when the ink is out you have to spend more than the cost of the printer for more ink. When it runs out of ink, just throw the printer away and buy another.

The Elite 80 I had the shop manual and did most of the work myself except valve clearance checks and the like. The Elite 110 since it only had to be serviced every 5000 miles it wasnt that bad of an expense to have the dealer do the work.

I remember on my first Elite 80, I had the head and the side case of the motor off. It was quick and easy to work on.

Mel Maybe I could just break all the tabs off the plastic and put industrial strength velcro on them and stick them all back in place so its easy to take apart and service. LOL!

Are you related to whitenoise?
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

cfrobw wrote: <snip> Maybe I could just break all the tabs off the plastic and put industrial strength velcro on them and stick them all back in place so its easy to take apart and service. LOL!
I think you meant that as a joke, but some of the guys (including myself) replaced tabs with velcro or the screws with clips that slide over the edge of the tupperware where possible. It did make it easier.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The belt should lat till 15,000 miles, rear brake shoes well over 20,000
You've been thoroughly bum raped.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

The way I read it, he asked for it. They didn't tell him he needed those things done.
Larry

cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

No, why do you ask?
-Rob

Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

willajabir wrote:
cfrobw wrote: <snip> Maybe I could just break all the tabs off the plastic and put industrial strength velcro on them and stick them all back in place so its easy to take apart and service. LOL!
I think you meant that as a joke, but some of the guys (including myself) replaced tabs with velcro or the screws with clips that slide over the edge of the tupperware where possible. It did make it easier.
I was being sarcastic, but at the same time almost really want to do that
-Rob

cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

gn2 wrote:The belt should lat till 15,000 miles, rear brake shoes well over 20,000
I'm not completely sure about the condition of the rear brake shoes, but I know the day I drove the used several month old bike off the lot, it had new brake shoes, however, before I got on it they had set the parking brake. I drove it 30 miles with the parking brake set at 60mph. I chose to replace those myself. I'm going to get the belt and check it myself, since you mention it. I could have worn it down because I sat on the bike held the brake and reved the engine many times.
-Rob

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

willajabir wrote:
I've never thought of that. It's a good idea
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

cfrobw wrote:
gn2 wrote:The belt should lat till 15,000 miles, rear brake shoes well over 20,000
I'm not completely sure about the condition of the rear brake shoes, but I know the day I drove the used several month old bike off the lot, it had new brake shoes, however, before I got on it they had set the parking brake. I drove it 30 miles with the parking brake set at 60mph. I chose to replace those myself. I'm going to get the belt and check it myself, since you mention it. I could have worn it down because I sat on the bike held the brake and reved the engine many times.
Oh dear.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Does the PCX not have the indicator for parking brake on?
Larry

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

cfrobw wrote:
No, why do you ask?
No worries Rob ;) 2yous a joker, we're tawkers :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The indicator that the brake is on is that the rear brake light stays on while you ride. My wife has forgotten to take the brake off several times, and so have I. We ride with me behind her and I can tell when she forgets. When I put the parking brake on with my Burgman, it will not move. I don't understand how the PCX moves. Maybe it is because the PCX has a drum brake in the back while my Burgman has disc brakes all the way around. In any case, look at the back ever so often, by way of your mirrors and the reflection off of the front of vehicles behind you. When at a stop light, take your hands off of the brake and look in the mirror. If you see bright red, your brake is on. Pull your !brake lever and see if the intensity changes. If not, your parking brake is on.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

willajabir wrote:Does the PCX not have the indicator for parking brake on?
That's a good ?
I have no idea. I never use it. Useless unless adjusted properly. It's kind of a pita. My guess, there's No dash indicator. Oh well. Forza have one??
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

The pcx does not have a parking brake light. Another way to see if the brake is left on is to feel the rear brake lever. It feels different than normal. If the rear brake is adjusted per book it is easy to tell on take off as the bike is a little less snappy. The tighter the rear brake is adjusted the tighter the park brake is.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

cfrobw wrote: I chose to replace those myself. I'm going to get the belt and check it myself, since you mention it. I could have worn it down because I sat on the bike held the brake and reved the engine many times.
I believe that would wear the clutch not the belt.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

By the way, we bought our replacement rear tire from bikebandit for around $52 and had it installed for $55, so I think $168 was a bit steep.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

cessna151 wrote:
cfrobw wrote: I chose to replace those myself. I'm going to get the belt and check it myself, since you mention it. I could have worn it down because I sat on the bike held the brake and reved the engine many times.
I believe that would wear the clutch not the belt.
Methinks it would be a case of which one slips easiest.
Is the friction between belt and pulleys more or less than the friction between clutch shoes and drum?
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

willajabir wrote:The way I read it, he asked for it. They didn't tell him he needed those things done.
They told me the belt needed to be changed. All I have to say is the bike better be in top condition when I go to pick it up.
-Rob

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cfrobw wrote:
willajabir wrote:The way I read it, he asked for it. They didn't tell him he needed those things done.
They told me the belt needed to be changed. All I have to say is the bike better be in top condition when I go to pick it up.

Will you kick small donkey?