PCX 150 2013 stability and acceleration

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

stone

PCX 150 2013 stability and acceleration

Post by stone »

Hi guys,

I need help here. I am new here and is considering the PCX. How is this bike's acceleration compared to similiar cc or 125cc motorcycles?

How is the stability of the bike at say 90- 100 km/hr?

I am not allowed to test ride one without insurance so I really need your feedback here

thank you!
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX 150 2013 stability and acceleration

Post by Slickvic »

Very stable due to the 14" wheels. My top speed was 107KPH and it was just as stable as my Kawasaki Ninja 500.
Acceleration is good for a 150cc bike.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
stone

Post by stone »

Will it be able to pull ahead of traffic at a junction?

How would it stack up against a 125 - 150 motorbike?

I tried a used bike and it seems slow at startup as compared to say a vespa. Probably because of its small wheels?
BrAtKo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BrAtKo »

Hey dude I'm ahead of lights in the capital city even with Honda Vision 110 ;)
I've already sold my PCX and swapped to NC750S DCT
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

BrAtKo wrote:Hey dude I'm ahead of lights in the capital city even with Honda Vision 110 ;)
One of the many reasons I considered that model for a long time - great acceleration up until about 30, can reach about 50mph, fairly efficient in economy terms, easy to maintain, and narrower than the PCX/SH. However, rightly or wrongly for a simple 10 mile commute, I'm going for the new PCX - hope it proves as reliable as the 2013 model.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

It has acceleration?
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Granted the acceleration is not neck-snapping, but it certainly is enough to move out at a light. Especially since most of the drivers appear to be engaged in some occupation other than driving.

I have no point of comparison - The PCX is the only motorized two-wheeled conveyance I have been on (other than the Honda Nighthawk used for MSF school. I sure wasn't checking acceleration at that point in my learning curve). Stability is fine at 60 mph (~ 100 kph), but wind buffeting is significant. If higher speed trips are a major part of your riding, perhaps a windshield should be factored into your cost.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
stone

Post by stone »

yes, a shield is a must for me, but I would not be modifying any variators, clutch springs etc. Well, maybe just the weights a bit to find a sweet balance between acceleration and getting to top speed.
stone

Post by stone »

Bash On! wrote:It has acceleration?
This is what I am concerned about because I tested a used one and it was not as fast in pickup compared to a vespa, maybe the bike had got some problems, or maybe it is just that the small tires of the vespa lx150ie that is making it seem fast at the start.

If theres weak acceleration, I will get very tired of it very quickly.

would like to share a link to a scooter video I saw on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnD79edr8I

fast rider, my highway roads are congested, something like his.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Bash On! wrote:It has acceleration?
2nd half of this video shows it had good acceleration and is a great scooter for a 110 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpp7wagGao
PCX 125 has better acceleration and top end so 150 should easily outclass it at the expense of mpg. I'd imagine most scooters 110 and over pull away really fast.
stone

Post by stone »

I was looking at the pcx because I throttle hard and at 100+ mpg, I will still have good fuel consumption even if the MPG falls to 80+
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

I may be able to offer a 'comparison' here . . .

I'm currently having to run-in/break-in two bikes ready for a trip to Barcelona that myself and a few mates are doing.

Some details here: https://www.facebook.com/BarcelonaAndBack (please 'like'/'follow' the page ;))

I have a new (Dec 2013) Yamaha YBR 125 Custom and a new (Dec 2013) Honda PCX that I have to get miles/kms on and get them both to their first service before the trip.

Neither got ridden much from new as the weather was awful - but for a fair bit of March I've been putting about 30miles a day on each bike/scooter - I don't commute, I only ride for pleasure. The weather has been lovely here in rural France, so I've managed to get out a bit (inbetween the wife having me clean the driveways, mow the lawns and 'Cuprinol' my outside (wooden) garage etc. :))

So, I've ridden them both, back to back and the Honda PCX (remember mine is a 125) compares VERY favourably to the YBR. OK, the YBR isn't the quickest bike Yamaha ever made - I like them mostly because they're like a big Fizzie (FS1E) - and I love Fizzies. :D

The Honda is smoother and pulls away from lights/junctions that bit quicker too - as I'm not having to shift gears. My mate is going to be using the PCX for the trip and I think he's actually got the best deal - although, I DO love the Yammie, I REALLY LOVE this little PCX - so smooth. The YBR has a slight vibration at high revs (nothing wrong, just regular 'single cylinder' bike vibration) - the Honda is like silk. No gears, just point and squirt - and the combined braking means one only uses the left lever most of the time.

I own a LOT of small bikes and scooters - both 'classic' and new - my 'modern' stuff includes a Burgman 200, a Vespa 946 and a Vespa GT 300 Super Sport - the PCX is by far the smoothest ride - and actually the most 'fun' if I'm honest - despite (or maybe because of?) its size.

I've really fallen in love with this little scooter - and - as I wrote ^ - I think my mate who's using it for the trip has got the best deal. :)

Couple of pics . . . apologies for quality ('phone pics.)

PCX, YBR and Baby (200) Burger . . .

PCX . . .

YBR . . .

946 . . .

I don't know if this helps you or not - I'm lucky enough to have the choice - but if I HAD to use one daily/regularly - the PCX would get my vote. :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:I own a LOT of small bikes and scooters - both 'classic' and new ... I don't know if this helps you or not - I'm lucky enough to have the choice - but if I HAD to use one daily/regularly - the PCX would get my vote. :)
Great post! Nice stable of bikes.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

kramnala58 wrote:
Fizzy Rascal wrote:I own a LOT of small bikes and scooters - both 'classic' and new ... I don't know if this helps you or not - I'm lucky enough to have the choice - but if I HAD to use one daily/regularly - the PCX would get my vote. :)
Great post! Nice stable of bikes.
Thanks. :)
stone

Post by stone »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:

I don't know if this helps you or not - I'm lucky enough to have the choice - but if I HAD to use one daily/regularly - the PCX would get my vote. :)

thanks, I have rode a ybr for sometime and the comparison is very useful!
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I've been very pleased with the acceleration of my PCX150, particularly from 0-35 mph - perfect for beating the cages across the intersection. For my purposes, I get up to 55 - 60 mph just fine. Above that is a little slow, but that's fine with me since I stay off the interstate.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a Burgman 400 and a PCX 150. My wife rides the PCX and loves it. We go for rides when we can. Though her little 150 will never beat my 400 on acceleration once we get going, she is very quick off the light. We cruise together all over the place, and though hers tops out at 67 mph we have no problems on country roads that have posted speed limits of 45 to 55 mph. Her little scooter is very easy to handle and is fun to ride so much so that I am considering getting another one for around town....that, or trade my 400 in on the new Burgman 200. In either case, the PCX is about all you will need for most of the things you would do on a scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:I may be able to offer a 'comparison' here . . .

I'm currently having to run-in/break-in two bikes ready for a trip to Barcelona that myself and a few mates are doing.

Some details here: https://www.facebook.com/BarcelonaAndBack (please 'like'/'follow' the page ;))

I have a new (Dec 2013) Yamaha YBR 125 Custom and a new (Dec 2013) Honda PCX that I have to get miles/kms on and get them both to their first service before the trip.

Neither got ridden much from new as the weather was awful - but for a fair bit of March I've been putting about 30miles a day on each bike/scooter - I don't commute, I only ride for pleasure. The weather has been lovely here in rural France, so I've managed to get out a bit (inbetween the wife having me clean the driveways, mow the lawns and 'Cuprinol' my outside (wooden) garage etc. :))

So, I've ridden them both, back to back and the Honda PCX (remember mine is a 125) compares VERY favourably to the YBR. OK, the YBR isn't the quickest bike Yamaha ever made - I like them mostly because they're like a big Fizzie (FS1E) - and I love Fizzies. :D

The Honda is smoother and pulls away from lights/junctions that bit quicker too - as I'm not having to shift gears. My mate is going to be using the PCX for the trip and I think he's actually got the best deal - although, I DO love the Yammie, I REALLY LOVE this little PCX - so smooth. The YBR has a slight vibration at high revs (nothing wrong, just regular 'single cylinder' bike vibration) - the Honda is like silk. No gears, just point and squirt - and the combined braking means one only uses the left lever most of the time.

I own a LOT of small bikes and scooters - both 'classic' and new - my 'modern' stuff includes a Burgman 200, a Vespa 946 and a Vespa GT 300 Super Sport - the PCX is by far the smoothest ride - and actually the most 'fun' if I'm honest - despite (or maybe because of?) its size.

I've really fallen in love with this little scooter - and - as I wrote ^ - I think my mate who's using it for the trip has got the best deal. :)

PCX . . .

YBR . . .

946 . . .

Riding to Barcelona! Can I come?
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

you you wrote:

PCX . . .

YBR . . .

946 . . .

Sure! :)

You serious? If so, I can sort out the details for you. :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:
you you wrote:

PCX . . .

YBR . . .

946 . . .

Sure! :)

You serious? If so, I can sort out the details for you. :)
If I can, sounds like a laugh, can you pm me?