J Costa Variator weights !!!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Yogibabu

Post by Yogibabu »

Corsport sells the JCosta variator just wonderig what is the weight of the rollers this vario comes with ??? Anyone ???
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: J Costa Variator weights !!!

Post by gn2 »

The JCosta doesn't have conventional rollers so the weight of them is meaningless for comparison unless you are comparing alternative JCosta type weights.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Yogibabu

Post by Yogibabu »

Question was :
What is the weight of the rollers that come with the Jcosta variator sold by CARSPORT ???
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Why don't you ask Corsport via their forum...?

p.s. The JCosta variator doesn't have rollers in it
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Yogibabu

Post by Yogibabu »

I did write to corsport but i guess they are too buisy to respond to customers questions.
ptmcd1

Post by ptmcd1 »

Yogibabu wrote:Corsport sells the JCosta variator just wonderig what is the weight of the rollers this vario comes with ??? Anyone ???
:) 10.8 grams each x 12 rollers per variator assembly
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

gn2 wrote:p.s. The JCosta variator doesn't have rollers in it
Nope, it has magic go faster pixie dust :lol:
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Woolley wrote:
gn2 wrote:p.s. The JCosta variator doesn't have rollers in it
Nope, it has magic go faster pixie dust :lol:
and a little bit of bullsh*t.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

In fairness to JCosta I believe they themselves don't actually make any claims other than smoother transmission.
It's the mugs who buy (or sell) them that make all the other claims.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

From another thread...
Pcxdemon wrote:Ive tried Kitaco 110kmh,Daytona 125kmh,Takegawa 125kmh, variators with different weights and Dr Pulley sliders and then as a last option took my stock variator and had a play with that one . Ive tried 10g rollers which gave me better acceleration + extra top speed to 116kmh, sliders top speed 122kmh. ( stock rollers are 15g ).
So you could say that if you get your self some Dr Pulleys sliders you should be able to get extra 6kmh ( i say 6kmh extra as my top speed is 122kmh,will differ to yours because i am running i-map with my limiter raised by 300rpm) - ( i recommend 10g in size ).
My belt goes right up to the top of the pulley now literally.
Can anyone understand this gibberish? :lol: :roll:
By the way i tried Givi screen briefly and found it fairly good, acceleration was good,gets to 110-115kmh easy but felt like it didn't want to go any faster afterwards like to 122kmh. My Kitaco aero screen worked better there....There is a new screen on Webike for $56 made by Madmax. Looks like same size as Givi so it may be a real viable option instead of Givi for someone not wanting to spend double the amount $$. Im considering one just cos its sooo cheap ;)
Also i got Torque Cam few weeks back but had some issues,its back at Webike now for the exchange.
:ugeek:
You might see the same or better gains with DR Pulley sliders, if there is a gain at all. On ClubPCX, there is a thread that is full of controversy about the JCosta variator... Proceed with caution...

The JCosta variator does not have rollers, it has weighted "bells" that have to be replaced with JCosta branded bells, which are "available," but I have never seen for sale before. They have to be changed every 8000 miles, which makes the JCosta seem rather uneconomical to me (for my mileage, I would have to change the bells every year and a half or less). Here's a pic of a worn bell after 7500 miles vs a new bell:
J_Costa Roller Wear.JPG
J_Costa Roller Wear.JPG (34.08 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
If you couldn't find the rollers anywhere, you'd have to order a new variator every time your bells wore down...

A quick google pulls up DR Pulleys and the JCosta variator available for purchase here: http://toutletuning.com/?&id_lang=1. Converting to USD, the variator is about $50 cheaper from there (though the difference after shipping may be less).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

maddiedog wrote:On ClubPCX, there is a thread that is full of controversy about the JCosta variator... Proceed with caution...
Didnt most of it get deleted by corsport though?
ImageImage ImageImage Image
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

yes and no, just selected posts of people who weren't supporting the variator. Some shady shit if you ask me
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Pretty shady indeed...
chris

Post by chris »

hello
I can provide the forum for the j costa exhaust muffler variator and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Bon chance.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

chris wrote:hello
I can provide the forum for the j costa exhaust muffler variator and rollers
For reference (if you guys didn't see the other thread), Chris owns the site I linked to with the rollers and variators. He also posted his site here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=262

Welcome to the forums, Chris.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes