2013 PCX 150 USA Real World Speed Information/reviews

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: 2013 PCX 150 USA Real World Speed Information/reviews

Post by dustin91 »

I've been on three rides with a motorcycle group (on meetup.com), and each one had to hit an interstate road for an exit or two, before getting back to the back roads that made up the rides. I'm in agreement about being uncomfortable at those speeds, which - let's face it - are rarely only 55 mph. I could hang with them at 60 or so, but needed to be on the right side of the lane, because any car or truck that passed on the left was causing too much wind and pushing the scooter. It just isn't heavy enough to handle that kind of crosswind. I love my 150 for what it can do, but have no plans for any real interstate riding until I own a motorcycle.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

katschamne wrote:I have to agree with everyone on here that I would look at the Forza for what you are wanting a scooter for. I will be honest that I am 5'6" 300 lbs and I have a hard time getting my speed up past 55 mph. With that nothing is left like CaptnJim said for that emergency boost to get out of the way. That is without a head wind and with a head wind, I was lucky to get my speed up to 50 mph. By yourself I think you will be fine but add another 145 lb and forget it.

I've just been on a 200 mile round trip and the bike cruised at 65 mph no problem. A couple of times it might have dropped to 60 with a headwind and a steep long hill but that is about it
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

you you wrote: I've just been on a 200 mile round trip and the bike cruised at 65 mph no problem. A couple of times it might have dropped to 60 with a headwind and a steep long hill but that is about it

I again I blame my weight for this. I'm 300 lbs without gear. If I weighed half that I'm sure I would get better gas mileage and top end speed. The weight limit I believe is only about 346lbs.
Timmygp

Post by Timmygp »

I weigh 160 and my pcx 150 will get to 65 / 70 but it is a very unstable, non-safe feeling ride withe the Leigh's weight if the bike and all of the wind buffering.....
BrAtKo
Regular User
Regular User

2013 PCX 150 USA Real World Speed Information/reviews

Post by BrAtKo »

Hello I have PCX150 model v3 (2014) with 3600km total. I'm 170lbs weight and my maximal speed is 62mph (100km/h) read on GPS navi TomTom (110km/h on pcx dash) Over 62-63mph I feel the ECU cut down the power, same feel like gasoline is over simply I cannot get over 62 even the pcx could but ECU limiter. Is it ok ?
I've already sold my PCX and swapped to NC750S DCT
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Try premium fuel.

I installed takegawa reinforced lowering springs in my pcx 150 and it eliminated the floating feeling on the highway. The pair of springs cost me $50 from webike. They also have inserts to change the drop between 10mm and 40mm.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The PCX is more stable at highway speeds than my Reflex was. It's a bit less stable than my PC800, but that thing weighed almost 600lbs empty.

Another perspective on this...
I bought my PCX for backroads riding, and it excels at that. We recently had a kid, so I sold off all the bikes other than my PCX, and have been trying to make it fully highway capable. Even after a 170cc kit, variator mods, a new belt, gearing change, and some other tweaks, the bike is still not safe on the highways outside of the city. I can cruise in city highway traffic comfortably at 55-60mph now all day long, even 3-up with the dog and my wife, but with the top speed is around 70mph gps after all the mods, it's still not safe for open interstates outside of the city. I'm doing some more gearing mods, so only time will tell if the PCX will be suitable as my only bike.

TL;DR: As long as you can stay off interstate highways, you and your wife will be more than fine with the PCX.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:The PCX is more stable at highway speeds than my Reflex was. It's a bit less stable than my PC800, but that thing weighed almost 600lbs empty.

Another perspective on this...
I bought my PCX for backroads riding, and it excels at that. We recently had a kid, so I sold off all the bikes other than my PCX, and have been trying to make it fully highway capable. Even after a 170cc kit, variator mods, a new belt, gearing change, and some other tweaks, the bike is still not safe on the highways outside of the city. I can cruise in city highway traffic comfortably at 55-60mph now all day long, even 3-up with the dog and my wife, but with the top speed is around 70mph gps after all the mods, it's still not safe for open interstates outside of the city. I'm doing some more gearing mods, so only time will tell if the PCX will be suitable as my only bike.

TL;DR: As long as you can stay off interstate highways, you and your wife will be more than fine with the PCX.
Ok for me then. I'm thousands of miles from the nearest interstate

The roads are in a bit of a state though.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can say this about the pcx without reservation. The pcx is ideal for back country roads where the speed limit stays at between 45 and 55 mph. We put the tall windshields on ours and it had made a world of difference in riding enjoyment. When we ride the country roads we can sepend more time enjoying our ride and less time trying to fight the wind.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers