And the excitement ends

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Saurabhdutt
Regular User
Regular User

And the excitement ends

Post by Saurabhdutt »

Hello guys,

Here I am once again updating you on the issues and had to have my PCX recovered by AA.

- glove box doesn't shut
- centre console of the glove box has massive movement
- dash board squeaks and rattles
- oil stains around the engine bolts meaning possible oil leak

Now it has gone back to the dealer.

So gutted
Saurabh
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: And the excitement ends

Post by iceman »

:( - that's bad and worrying as I'm almost at the stage to putting a deposit / signing papers (waiting for my locks to come through and trying to recover from the insurance quotes!). The dealer you bought it from was one of the two I was considering - now talking with HGB Motorcycles. The first two issues may be common to others. I gather you were worried about the oil leak so called the AA?
Saurabhdutt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Saurabhdutt »

The glove box stopped closing the day we came back home, called the dealer and the dealer told me to call on monday morning and book it in. Over the weekend it started squeaking and it was really bad. It'll squeak the moment you accelerate. It became worse as felt like its gonna fall apart and then I noticed the oil stains on the engine.

This morning. I called the dealer and he told me not to ride hence I called AA and they took it. Now i have no scooter and just waiting for them to see the issues.

I bought it from grafton motors . They have been good so far. Lets see what do they come back with.

Went to HGB before however they didnt give me any discount. Grafton gave me £300 on this PCX and they will deliver it for free.

Give them a try and talk to Denzil.

Saurabh
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Actually wondering if I should wait a few months more - I'm out of the country May 31st for 2.5 weeks. I did wonder about jumping in so early with a new product, just in case any early issues came to light. Be good to hear from other new users how their new bikes are performing.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Where are you? The new ones haven't arrived here in the states yet. Are you guys talking bout the new 2015 model?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

We're both in the UK - I'm north London. This is the 2014 new style PCX, although some dealers are calling it the 2015 model - don't understand that as it's released early 2014!
Bad that a new 'dealer' checked and setup scooter has so many badly fitting parts, esp the dash area in the first few days.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

iceman wrote:... This is the 2014 new style PCX, although some dealers are calling it the 2015 model - don't understand that as it's released early 2014! ...
It is usually the same with cars in the US (and maybe other parts of the world). New models are typically released in the Fall (Sept/Oct). If they are released any time after January, they are often referred to as the next year's model. Thus, the 2014 PCX being released in the US in March/April is being referred to as a 2015. It will be interesting to see what the documentations lists the year as. As far as I know the 2014 rest of the world PCX is the same as the 2015 US PCX, apart from the US specific items that may need to be done to meet US specs.

Speaking of that, does anyone know if the 2014/15 US model has the protruding signal lights?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
ChesneyHawkes

Post by ChesneyHawkes »

Saurabhdutt wrote:Hello guys,

Here I am once again updating you on the issues and had to have my PCX recovered by AA.

- glove box doesn't shut

So gutted
Saurabh
Sorry to hear about your issues Saurabh.

Just done my first 1000kms so I'm gonna take it in for service one tomorrow.

- My glovebox shuts fine. I just have to remember to press the top right hand corner to open and close it. When I press the top left it won't engage or disengage the mechanism.

- No movement with my glovebox.

- No squeaks or rattling with my dash, and there are plenty of potholes where I am.

- Not sure about oil stains. Hit a few puddles and just washed the dirt off, not noticed them being anything but dirt. Will ask the Honda dealer to check for oil.
Saurabhdutt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Saurabhdutt »

ChesneyHawkes wrote:
Saurabhdutt wrote:Hello guys,

- glove box doesn't shut

So gutted
Saurabh
Sorry to hear about your issues Saurabh.

Just done my first 1000kms so I'm gonna take it in for service one tomorrow.

- My glovebox shuts fine. I just have to remember to press the top right hand corner to open and close it. When I press the top left it won't engage or disengage the mechanism.

- No movement with my glovebox.

- No squeaks or rattling with my dash, and there are plenty of potholes where I am.

- Not sure about oil stains. Hit a few puddles and just washed the dirt off, not noticed them being anything but dirt. Will ask the Honda dealer to check for oil.

Glad to hear that you are doing well with it.

Thanks for your reply.
Saurabh
Saurabhdutt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Saurabhdutt »

iceman wrote:Actually wondering if I should wait a few months more - I'm out of the country May 31st for 2.5 weeks. I did wonder about jumping in so early with a new product, just in case any early issues came to light. Be good to hear from other new users how their new bikes are performing.

I just think I was the unlucky one and got a dodgy scooter. I am sure you'll be fine.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Saurabhdutt wrote:
iceman wrote:Actually wondering if I should wait a few months more - I'm out of the country May 31st for 2.5 weeks. I did wonder about jumping in so early with a new product, just in case any early issues came to light. Be good to hear from other new users how their new bikes are performing.
I just think I was the unlucky one and got a dodgy scooter. I am sure you'll be fine.
Eager to hear back from the dealer as to what they found, what their going to do.
clausskou

Post by clausskou »

Hi,

Got the new 2014 model April the 2nd. Noticed some odd noises but didn't pay particular attention. Then on the second day was riding 50 km/h when the rear wheel locked up. End of excitement!!!! Managed to avoid a crash. The Honda dealer came and picked it up. Saw the workshop take the complete transmission apart, take photos and fixed it. Runs great again but wondered what went wrong and how lucky I was. At 80 km/h I am not sure I could have avoided a serious crash.

End of my excitement and yet. Still find it great.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Hmm, that sounds really serious and you were very lucky! Ok, there may only be a sub-set of new style PCX owners on and adding to this forum, but not too impressed at present with some of the 2014's let out from dealers.
clausskou

Post by clausskou »

It must be shoddy build quality as I can not imagine that Honda has changed parts in the drive train on the 2014 model. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Have no idea how I saved the situation. No warning whatsoever. Must have been lucky.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I wonder if they are being made in a new factory / locale and 'cheaper' labour. Either way, if my rear wheel siezed on a new supposedly tested and checked bike, not an old never serviced wreck, I would be asking Honda a lot of questions.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:I wonder if they are being made in a new factory / locale and 'cheaper' labour. Either way, if my rear wheel siezed on a new supposedly tested and checked bike, not an old never serviced wreck, I would be asking Honda a lot of questions.

What questions would they be?

Would you use Japanese?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Considering it's a really dangerous fault to develop so soon on a new bike, and the rider could have been seriously injured or killed, along with other people on the road, Honda should offer an apology, full details of what was found and perhaps compensation in some way.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

iceman wrote:Considering it's a really dangerous fault to develop so soon on a new bike, and the rider could have been seriously injured or killed, along with other people on the road, Honda should offer an apology, full details of what was found and perhaps compensation in some way.
I am fairly confident that a company as large as Honda is not going to be issuing an apology nor disclosing full details or offering compensation because if they did, they could potentially appear to be admitting guilt should a law suit ensue. Nonetheless, I would seek to contact some form of agency on your country to report the issue. If this is a one-off problem because of a mistake made on the assembly line with only your bike, then nothing more will come of it. But if it is indeed a design or manufacturing flaw, then the more who report it, the easier it is to have Honda legitimately address the problem with a recall or something like that. As you mentioned in one of your posts, this could be life threatening.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
clausskou

Post by clausskou »

Well, I was so absentminded not to take any pictures of the possible problem. But I did see them taking a lot of photos and scratching their heads. The pictures must be for some kind of report to Honda. Maybe I should talk to the dealer and see if they want to disclose what their plans are.

I can only recommend people who hears unusual signs from the drivetrain to have a qualified person to look at it. After the repair, I noticed the engine going much smoother and accelerating much more rapid. Surely a sign of bad build quality.